Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

getting color out of my hiar

Lindsey3
@lindsey3
12 years ago
64 posts

Sweet! ill try it. Its been in for a couple months.. so we'll see what happens!

thanks sooo much : )

updated by @lindsey3: 07/09/15 07:07:52PM
raene folden
@raene-folden
12 years ago
11 posts

I have the same colour hair and also dyed mine dark brown. I put the juice from about four lemons in a cup (about 3/4 full) and filled the rest with conditioner. put that all in my hair and let it soak while i watched an entire movie. it wasnt fun, didnt feel good and dripped lots. i wore a big old hoodie with a big hood and kept putting it by my neck to stop the dripping. But it worked perfectly

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Baking Soda is doing a pretty good job of stripping Henna from my hair!

How often do you wash with the BS? How much do you use and how long do you let it sit?

I wash every day/other day using baking soda. Averaging about half a cup per gallon and letting it sit for 10-20 minutes at a time.

I'm thinking of going back to Bronners every now and then just to keep some of the colour but since I'm going to stop dying after this pack of henna (3 dye jobs left!) I'm glad to know that it fades so well for me. I mightjust be having such good luck because my hairs natural colour is a medium-dark brown and it's easier for red to blend in. Though I will say it's fading a hell of a lot faster than it usually does. I didn't notice how much BS faded the colour before because the colour I started with was at the end of the cycle and needing a dye job. Now though...holy hannah...It's like I didn't even dye my hair a couple weeks ago except that my silvers are still orange.

Ixchel said:

i am curious about removing henna. I love my color but I don't want to keep up on dyeing it so i want to get back to my blah natural color. I was using baking soda & not seeing a change, I used the locking up liquid shampoo & that stripped out some color right away (it was noticeably more red & less brownish so something was fading out). Haven't seen much change since, tried lemon juice a little bit but haven't seen a change from that either, but haven't really been in the sun with it in for long.

Any tips, constructive criticisms ect. are welcome. I feel like an idiot for having dyed my hair a color I love & now trying to remove it to a color I hate, but i think i would feel better about having it all the same as it grows out (or closer to the same color) so you don't see that big line of drastic color change :(

Heather said:

Im not sure if it works differently based on color. I've always heard that red fades the fastest. Did you box dye or henna? Box dye will definitely fade but with henna your probably not going to be able to remove it all. I would give it a try though.
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

i was doing every other day but i started to spread my washings out some now, plus i switched to the locking up shampoo recently, i just did a bs rinse today & let it soak in. I normally do about 1/3-1/2 cup (i dont' measure i guesstimate) in gallon & let it soak for as long as i can manage (some times it's 10 sometimes 30 mins...depends on how hubs is handling the kiddos lol)

i also had indigo in my most recent dye job, which i had read before wouldn't fade would have to be cut out but just today i read some conflicting info on that so i'm unsure of who to believe....

just wish i had held off a week to dye, then i would have made up my mind to dread & wouldn't have dyed & been in this predicament

how old are ur locks & what method did you use? i'm having troubles getting my hair to knot so i jsut don't want to be washing too often & hinder my progress making it slower than it already is! (bout 2 months into natural & have sections but no knotting)
Tied up in knots said:

Baking Soda is doing a pretty good job of stripping Henna from my hair!

How often do you wash with the BS? How much do you use and how long do you let it sit?

I wash every day/other day using baking soda. Averaging about half a cup per gallon and letting it sit for 10-20 minutes at a time.

I'm thinking of going back to Bronners every now and then just to keep some of the colour but since I'm going to stop dying after this pack of henna (3 dye jobs left!) I'm glad to know that it fades so well for me. I mightjust be having such good luck because my hairs natural colour is a medium-dark brown and it's easier for red to blend in. Though I will say it's fading a hell of a lot faster than it usually does. I didn't notice how much BS faded the colour before because the colour I started with was at the end of the cycle and needing a dye job. Now though...holy hannah...It's like I didn't even dye my hair a couple weeks ago except that my silvers are still orange.

Ixchel said:

i am curious about removing henna. I love my color but I don't want to keep up on dyeing it so i want to get back to my blah natural color. I was using baking soda & not seeing a change, I used the locking up liquid shampoo & that stripped out some color right away (it was noticeably more red & less brownish so something was fading out). Haven't seen much change since, tried lemon juice a little bit but haven't seen a change from that either, but haven't really been in the sun with it in for long.

Any tips, constructive criticisms ect. are welcome. I feel like an idiot for having dyed my hair a color I love & now trying to remove it to a color I hate, but i think i would feel better about having it all the same as it grows out (or closer to the same color) so you don't see that big line of drastic color change :(

Heather said:

Im not sure if it works differently based on color. I've always heard that red fades the fastest. Did you box dye or henna? Box dye will definitely fade but with henna your probably not going to be able to remove it all. I would give it a try though.
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

would you need the conditioner? it seems like that would kill baby dreads :(

raene folden said:

I have the same colour hair and also dyed mine dark brown. I put the juice from about four lemons in a cup (about 3/4 full) and filled the rest with conditioner. put that all in my hair and let it soak while i watched an entire movie. it wasnt fun, didnt feel good and dripped lots. i wore a big old hoodie with a big hood and kept putting it by my neck to stop the dripping. But it worked perfectly

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

I did Twist and Rip mixed with loose hair and left the bangs free. They're 2 months old. I have a solid handful of naturals that are progressing like crazy and my twist and rips have some gnarly mats going on. I think having the twist and rips munching on my hair really helped the natties get going. The natties are actually surpassing the twist and rips and they're only a few weeks old!

One thing I've noticed experimenting with hair washing is that the more I wash the more things change.No exceptions. My hair still dries quite well in a few hours, so some days I will wash twice in a 24 hour period and my hair goes wild with new loops and such but if I skip a couple days washing my hair does almost nothing.

I only use the jug to rinse. I swear my shower combs hair. I also swish my hair around in the tub a lot. Because it's fun to be a mermaid and because I can feel my hair tangling. I have to do so much separating after being a mermaid. I also rinse like a crazy. Probably 5 or 6 full jugs minimum for every rinse "cycle". Sometimes I will just zone out enjoying my me-time and will rinse something like 20 times at the end.

After washing I just wrap my hair in a towel turban and let it sit for a while and then unwrap it, let if flop, shake my head around like a crazy so it settles, and then feel around for anything that needs separating.

I know you're doing natural but I don't know how natural is natural for you...would it be cheating to put in a couple twist and rips to see what the hair around them does? You could kind of do what Sam did but intentionally. Just take out the twist and rips once they start making other hair knot up a bit. It's pretty easy to take out twist and rips and in my experience they start tangling up straight hair right away.

I actually only started with a couple "dreads" at the nape of my neck but the way they ate up the hair I wanted to keep loose fast tracked my "trial period" and decision to do pretty much full dreads because just having a couple was actually a LOT of work. If you were inclined to put in a couple TnRs I bet your hair would knot up around them in no time at all.

As far as Indigo goes...I have no experience because my hair is already decently dark and I've always wanted full on bright gingery red hair like my aunts and grandma. Best I can do is an auburny colour. My only info on Indigo comes from the henna for hair site which you are already well aware of :) I hope you find that it does fade. I'm annoyed enough with the eventuality of my roots and they won't even be that noticeable...other than the silvers...so I kinda know how you feel.

Ixchel said:

i was doing every other day but i started to spread my washings out some now, plus i switched to the locking up shampoo recently, i just did a bs rinse today & let it soak in. I normally do about 1/3-1/2 cup (i dont' measure i guesstimate) in gallon & let it soak for as long as i can manage (some times it's 10 sometimes 30 mins...depends on how hubs is handling the kiddos lol)

i also had indigo in my most recent dye job, which i had read before wouldn't fade would have to be cut out but just today i read some conflicting info on that so i'm unsure of who to believe....

just wish i had held off a week to dye, then i would have made up my mind to dread & wouldn't have dyed & been in this predicament

how old are ur locks & what method did you use? i'm having troubles getting my hair to knot so i jsut don't want to be washing too often & hinder my progress making it slower than it already is! (bout 2 months into natural & have sections but no knotting)

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

When i wash everything disappears, my husband asked if i took my dreads out & gave up the last time i washed. *sigh* no honey they just don't look like anything yet :( plus my hair takes forever to dry (i used to get up & shower at 4 am go to skating with my hair in a pony, let my hair down & go to school, pull it back up for skating & get home around 8 pm & it would still be damp)

maybe i'll cut out the shower? it's rare anyways, i prefer the jug & mermaid approach (nice name for it btw, i never knew what to call it) i thought the mermaid thing would knot me up, but nope

i do the towel & shake, but i haven't had to separate anything yet

i tried one twist & rip behind my ear just so i could have something that would hold a bead. it lasted for like 3 days before it all fell out, it doesn't look any different from my natural stuff thats going on now

i'm afraid to do Tnr because i don't know if my sections are done settling, it seems every day they are changing what hair goes to which section so i just didn't want to go screwing with their process too much i guess

I've always loved red hair, my hair being strawberry blonde goes red when wet & THAT is the color i wish my hair always was. it's beautiful, but i have never been able to recreate it with dye or henna :( oh well, i'm hoping my dreads will look better in my natural color (whenever they fade or grow out) than my hair ever did :)

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
Amazing how different everyones hair can be. Sounds like you have a long journey ahead. You will definitely appreciate and love your dreads when they come.Any activities thr have been known to knot I your hair? Playing,swimming, etc. .. I like doing the plastic slide at the park with my son. Static! Makes my hair very knotty.Every now and then I just mess up my hair like crazy, intentional bedhead look, like I just got out of a windtunnel. It settles eventually but I like to think it helps. :p
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

yeah, it does seem like i have forever ahead of me, but i'll be super excited once things do start happening. it will be worth it eventually :)

i play with the kids & get down & dirty with em lol. once it's nice enough out i'll be swimming. i try to do anything that may throw my hair around & encourage it to get messy. (windows are down all the time!)

oh & now that my hair is dry it looks a bit lighter today. i did some lemon juice & we were outside in the sun for a while, & then i did the bs soak & once it was rinsed I used a little of the liquid locking up shampoo just for the smell ;) i think every wash day i'll do some lemon juice & sunlight & soak in the bs some more. hopefully it will lighten up (maybe by the time i start getting knots!)

Tied up in knots said:

Amazing how different everyones hair can be. Sounds like you have a long journey ahead. You will definitely appreciate and love your dreads when they come.

Any activities thr have been known to knot I your hair? Playing,swimming, etc. .. I like doing the plastic slide at the park with my son. Static! Makes my hair very knotty.

Every now and then I just mess up my hair like crazy, intentional bedhead look, like I just got out of a windtunnel. It settles eventually but I like to think it helps. :p
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
Well that sounds promising!I'm definitely looking forward to pool season. Swimming will be great for the dreads. Between that and my trusty plastic slides my dreads will be mature in no time at all!I'm feeling really lucky. I'm such n impatient person I'd go crazy if my hair want taking well to dreading up.

Ixchel said:

yeah, it does seem like i have forever ahead of me, but i'll be super excited once things do start happening. it will be worth it eventually :)

i play with the kids & get down & dirty with em lol. once it's nice enough out i'll be swimming. i try to do anything that may throw my hair around & encourage it to get messy. (windows are down all the time!)

oh & now that my hair is dry it looks a bit lighter today. i did some lemon juice & we were outside in the sun for a while, & then i did the bs soak & once it was rinsed I used a little of the liquid locking up shampoo just for the smell ;) i think every wash day i'll do some lemon juice & sunlight & soak in the bs some more. hopefully it will lighten up (maybe by the time i start getting knots!)

Tied up in knots said:

Amazing how different everyones hair can be. Sounds like you have a long journey ahead. You will definitely appreciate and love your dreads when they come.

Any activities thr have been known to knot I your hair? Playing,swimming, etc. .. I like doing the plastic slide at the park with my son. Static! Makes my hair very knotty.

Every now and then I just mess up my hair like crazy, intentional bedhead look, like I just got out of a windtunnel. It settles eventually but I like to think it helps. :p

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form