Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dread wax why ya don't want it why ya don't need it and how to remove it

Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
I had a bad wax experience to, just kinda stuck with it, and used alot of washing to help get rid of it, after about 3 months of having used the stuff, my dreads don't seem 2 have anything in them, in the future i might cut one of them 2 see if anything is in them, maybe wax or lint or w/e.my dreads are fine to me right now tho.I still wished I hadn't used it tho,
updated by @iain: 07/23/15 09:01:35AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
welli cant answeer that completely but just offer a thoery1st off why would u wanna trim your dreads?but ok..ive heard of many ppl having extreme acne long long after stopping wax..around the hairline neck shoulders and back as well as foreheadhot days make wax thinner..it more easily moves around the dreads then..on very hot days u tie them up..wax from tips can then migrate throughoput the dreads although less concentratedwax can leave a thin waxy film on skin years later so why wouldnt it also leave residue everywhere it touched?your always better off trying as hard as u can to just get as much out as ya canby the way recent experiments i did prove that wax most likely makes dreads a fire hazzardi plan on doing more detailed testing if i get some wax sent to mebut the scary thing i found iswell let me explain what i did 1st and how it relateswe were burning a giant 3 wick candle and the wicks got all meessed up (it was our only heat source at the time)so we got the idea for stick wicksmore heat but the entire candle luiquified into a potthe next night there were 3 sticks still in it each dread thicknessi touched a lightewr flame to 1 and it instantly ignighted (try that with a unwaxed stick and a blowtorch and it still will be very hard to light)after a minute all 3 sticks were burning pretty well and the whole pot was liquifiedseveral minutes later something scary happenedthe wax began to boil...but wait...it gets scarierthe boiling wax itself caught fire withoput a wick..which very quickly made it all boil...and burnthe entire pot was a huge flamenow it gets scarierthis was on a chair, by my bed the chair began to smokeso i did what made sence to me having either a blanketr to throw on it ande catch fire..or a bottle of water to pou over it i poured on 1/2 the bottlebrace yourselfwhith a loud whooosh the flames hit the ceiling!!!! and spread out across the ceiling in a 4 foot wide areaand the chair caufgt fireagain more water and the same results..whoosh nfireball from hellpannic..but thankfully this put it out leaving only a few drops to put out the chair it took every drop of water i had to avoid dying in a wax fireballso hows that relate to dreads?sure we had way more wax but only maybe 3 jarss worth if it was drewad waxwhen u try lighting an inch thich dread its like lighting an inch thick stick..it just wont light the fuzz on the outside might flarebut the dread wont burnif you throw a dread in a big fire..it won t flame up, instead slowly smolders like charcoalbut a dread with a thin layer of wax..like the stick..should light instantly..and quickly spread to other dreads..and just 3 dreads burning should be ewnough to cause the boiling of wax in nearby dreads and the flame spread quickly...anmd the instiunckt to trhrow water on it could cause a disasterlike i saisd i need to do more experiments with actual drreads and dreadwaxbut i think this is enough to make it very clear that wax indeed should at least make them more flamable..and a possible hazzardthey dont call waxy dreads candles for notthing i guessit suree scared the hell outta me Greg Slater said:
This is something I've been wondering myself...I mean like even if we accept those dreads with wax are pretty much lost....if left in a tam and just trimmed a few inches every few months....wouldn't that just leave you with natural (well wax free) dreads...?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
hairdressers are the worse way to ddread, your really better off starting over withoput any traces of wax and then just doling it yourself...believe me if you do they will dread 3 times fastrer and last a lifetime not just 3 yearshowever if your really dread set on not starting over then yes u can do the wax removal, it may l,oosen them up but they need to loposen before tightening and even if they come out completely your still going to be in much better shape..as it is now your waxy salon dreads wont be dreads at all in a year still..they will look dreadlike, but wont dreadwithout wax in a month or 2 they will be far more dreaded then waxy dreads will be at 9 months to a year...you dont need a hairdresser to riup u off so i would really concider starting over waxlessits only 7 days.. and if u get wax free your next 7 will be far more productive towards dreading up

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
theres no cost in dreading..you get them redone freeeither you let them dread naturaly as they should,or you twist and rip them yourself (mom can help with back)you can ask for a refund from the salon explaining that wax should NEVER be used in dreads and ruins themwhat did they do besides wax? backcomb>/ twist and rip? crochet? or just twist the hair and wax it up..typical salon dread scamcharge 500 for a mess then 200 more ever4y 2 weeks to retighten and add more waxthen charge ya more to cut off the mess when yourt sick of itdemand a refundu might not get i6t at least not all

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
hmmm id ask what those solutions wereand i think shes lying about doing dreads for that long or shed never use wax since wax has only been used 1o yearsit sounds like what she did was a dread perm? the solutions kinda stink?or could be just salt water maybe aloe who knowspalm rollings mostly useless overrated and in order to do any good at all it will have to be so obseessively done to do harm and cause damageoh also backcombing as far as i can tell has only been done 10 years as well..20 years ago almost all dreads were naturaL, im sure a few did figure out other methods on theyre own, but none were commonly used (with the opossible exception of twists and palm rolling)backcombing would be concidered sacriliage, since 20 years ago at least 90% of all drewads were for spiritual reasons so to touch a comb to the hair would be directly against all beliefs thet led threm to dreadok maybe the 90% is lil high since some punk rocker types dreaded too but they were mostly street kids who either dreaded out of neglect, or if they did fashion dreads they usualy started with liberty spikes that dreaded ( using jello like drewadwax. but not basckcombing)wait i think i went way off topic with my history lesson..lolback on topicyou and your mom should be aware that dreads are the natural state of hair when you dont comb and dont go to salonstrusting a salon to set you free from dependence on salons isnt logical.they want your business forever. so salons make a disaster that makes you think dreads are disgusting and keep ypu a slave to salons..if you do manage to be set free anyways, at least they overcharge you and get every last cent they can from you 1sthow much did you pay? 200? 400? 700?for a 50 bag of weed or a case of beer you coulda had a dreading party had 3-4 freinds over to help ya dreadonly way id say its worth over 100 is if your hair was past your waist to begin wityhdo an excessive wax removal..and be on the lookout for wax symptoms that arent so apparentodviosly if they look or feel waxy u got a prob, but..they can look fine and not beif after a minth you can still pull a drewad apart easily its just glued together with waxif they get stiff or hard..its wax(they will get firm naturaly but still be spongy..never hard)if you start to break out in zits...its waxif your pillow gets covered in wax you got a serius problemand if u ever get a moldy musty smell..thats bad news ( it can happen in waxless dreads too if not cared for right, but with waxy dreads its pretty common to get moldy)wax is extremely hard to remove (wax by its nature is resistent to all aTTEMPTS TO REmove it)so id go beyond what you think is nesacary..when you think you got it all out id still do more removalyou may never get 100%maybe not even 1/2..but the more you get out the better..they'll dread fasster and last longereven if you dont try to get a refund you should tell her that wax is never ok to put in dreads..show her this site..and especialy threads like the 1 about waxlocks getting cut off and after only waxing twice they had a solid core of gross waxmaybe if you help her not screw up other ppl's drewads shed redo them for free like she should

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
450 for that lil hair?seriusly ive bought cars for lesswho would pay that much for hair? let alone for something like dreads that happen on theyre own with no effort no cost?mindbogglingok it sounds like u got a dread permliteraly the very last way id ever recomendwhy because the permed parts will always look and feel different from real dreads. so as the new growth comes in you will probly end up wanting to cut off the permed paRTSthere is no way to fix dread perrms..the damage is permenant..only thing you can do is remove all traces of wax and hope for the bestwhen they grow out a bit its up to u if u want to chop off the permed parts..ok this parts for your mom:hi mom, thank you for being supportive of your sons decision to dread, however i regret to inform you that you were ripped off in the process. sites like dreadheadhq provide so much misinformation and outright lies and sell you on complicated instructions so its easy to see why you turned to a salon for help.however that was the worse thing you could do.all dreads happen ion theyre own withoput any effort or costs. some sites try to scare you from going the natural way by insusting you'll look horrible for years if you do. this is a gimmik to sell products only.salons as well try to profity from your lack of knowledge. most people believe dreads are made not grown and require alot of work. salons then are the choice when you dont know what to do to be sure they come put right you turn to a pro..but salons generaly know even less then you do about how dreads form.some salons use honey wax even liquid latex to create a dread look, but this is just a look, not real dreads. and often never last long enough to become real dreads.to grow real dreads costs nothing and takes no effort (if you go natural) or you can pay a freind 20-50 to help you twist and rip or backcomb ( i recomend twist and rip)that is the max dreads are worth to put in..450 was a scam..i commend you for being willing to pay that much to make him happy but your trust in a salon to do it was mkisplaced.you could do a far better job yourself!at this point we can only do damager control and try to fix the mess they made.i do encourage you to keep suporting him in his efforts, to encourage him to go as natural as can be, and id recomend you try to get a refund at the same time send a message that that was not a proper way to make dreads and charging that much for a mess is not ok.we have suport groups for partents of dreaded kids too if you ever need guidance or suportin the future educating yourself on dreads wikll save you money and hassle..education comes from spurces that are not trying to take your money though..if theres a price invilved..for products or "manufacturing" the dreads then do not trust the sourcedreads are free and freeformingthey happen if you simply allow them.when your tired and want to sleep you aklow yourself to sleep, you dont pay someone to hit you on the head with a sledgehammer so you can sleep do you? sure you'll sleep but with brain dammage.this is kinda what yiou did, you wanted dreads that would happen just by allowing dreads, instead you paid someone to do damageyoud still eventualy get dreads no matter what, but the dreads will have more problems and cost way too muchi recommended he start over wax free, however if indeed the salon did a dread perm, starting over might not be the best option.instead i recomend you find out if it was a dread perm or not..if not, start over ..remove the dreads and wax, and do it yourself at home (easy instructions on here)if it was a perm well id just try hard to remove all traces of wax, and possibly concider cutting off the damaged permed parts once the new growth is long enough (couple years?)sorry you were scammed..we are here to help

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
on the right over there---> theres a link to salon dread guidetheres also a salon dread group (hardly any members thiugh) concider posting your experiences in both places

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts

thats what dreads with wax look like on the insideeven when they look like this outside

huge to show details

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
note..that last pic was after he cut it open, he was able to roll iyt back into dread shape and it looked like a dread..that is what wax does..makes fake dreads that never resally dread they just look like dreads ..glued together

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
wax...many chicks use it to remove unwanted body hair.. but its always a painful experience http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/so-i-cut-my-waxlocks-off-a its even more painful when the wax causes the loss of WANTED hairnotice in the vid on that thread how when he picks up dreads..they dont bend or droop.. they are just hard and stiff and stickyyes they look like dreads..but dreads shyouldnt be easy to pull apaqrt after a year..they shouldnt be able to be glued back together on ce pulled apart just by rolling them..wax locks kjust look like locks they usualy get cut long before they actualy dread since wax prevents dreadingto dread individual hairs must move..how can a hair move inside a "dread" that itself is too stiff to move?

--

/ 17

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form