Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I have a problem with my dreads

scott LANGFORD
@scott-langford
12 years ago
24 posts

Ive had my dreads for nearly 2 years now and have not used any products on them. I backcombed them in and they have been fine ever since. Every so often i have crocheted them gently to put large amounts of loose hair back in.

Basically i have 1 dread that is incredibly sore at the base, it has also thin a lot at the base and im beginning to worry it may thin more and break. I have not been using shampoo with residue nor have i used any other products. I'm also not crocheting the base of the dread so im a bit confused why its happening and only happening to this single dread.

Any help would be great :-)

updated by @scott-langford: 01/13/15 09:41:37PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

theres no such thing as gentle crochet crochets destructive no matter how gentle u try to do it

now are u rubbing the roots or anything

scratching that area alot

is the scalp scabby or pussy

can u take a picture close up

and throw the hook away crochet hooks should never touch dreads at all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
scott LANGFORD
@scott-langford
12 years ago
24 posts

I know they are damaging hence only having used it for large sections of hair that need it. I tried other methods first but it did not work.

My scalp is fine, about 6 months ago i started getting dandruff but was given some shampoo that was also anti fungal and my dandruff cleared up. I just use the nutrogena tgel stuff now. I havent been itchingconsciously.

The base looks thinner in real life but this is the best pic i can get...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

1 they never "need it" you shouldnt be trying any methods except leaving them alone

the large chunks of hair belong there and will take care of themselves if u let them

just let em dread dont force em

2 do not use nutragena thats highly toxic its meant to be used only every few months max never as a continual use

ok to the original question it looks like lil large sections with too define=d seperations between u see the scalp lines?

u shouldnt

id say its just a case of over maintenance i see no scalp iritation or anything

so maybe uneven pulling

1 thing id suggest besides stopping the crochet and any and all other maintenance and switching shampoos is avoid any tension on that dread dont use it to tie em or anything

--
scott LANGFORD
@scott-langford
12 years ago
24 posts

Ok thanks a lot. I think i got impatient when rolling into a ball and pushing that into the dread didnt work.

I shall ditch the crochetting then.

I have been ensuring that every dread was it's own, guessing that is too much maintenance, should i let them knot together a bit more at the basis then?

I was told that the nutrogena was great and using it twice weekly was the way forward. If its not i will stop that too! What would be best to use? I do have a history of dry scalp so would like something that is moisturising etc Dont mind what just a lot of products dont seem to be for sale in the uk.

Im not tying the dreads at all as that bit is sore, im either using a cloth tube to hold them all or a single alice band to do the same.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dont roll em in a ball and stick em in..just leave em be! you dont have to do a thing but let em get long enough to dread on their own

watch babas vid on seperation there should be a tangled mesh between them at the scalp its only when hairs connect up the dread itself that they need seperation

and www.dreadlockshampoo.com is by far the best

--
scott LANGFORD
@scott-langford
12 years ago
24 posts

Great thanks.

I hope i can find that in the uk, i want to get something before i go away for christmas.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u have to order from that site o=its hand made by a member here

but if u order several at a time its best

--
scott LANGFORD
@scott-langford
12 years ago
24 posts

I will need to save some pennies then.

Will a bicarb soda soak do in the meantime?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yup

tho englands waters as bad as the food

so u might have to nearly boil it 1st to gert it to disolve

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus