dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thin Locks

KafkaX
@kafkax
12 years ago
69 posts

Yo yo party people...

Over the past few weeks, Ive had 2 dreads rip...Not at the roots, but mid way...What should I do about these little guys? Id like to save them if I can because on this side of my head, I have some thick dreads and without these little guys trying to balance things out, I look like im balding...

My motto thus far has been let whatever happens happen, but I now have a bunch of loose hair (more so than usual) and feel like these little guys wont make it unless I step in...

Advice?

updated by @kafkax: 02/14/15 04:55:21AM
KafkaX
@kafkax
12 years ago
69 posts

I also have 3 little guys located near one another...Im trying to train them to congo so its something that will survive...I dont have a bead that will fit...Or any hemp to tie a hair wrap, so I just have the three braided together until I get something that will work...

calipark
@calipark
12 years ago
54 posts

How far along are your dreads?

They should congo no matter what especially if there's a lot of loose hair - just leave it alone. Since there's loose hair, a bead can't really help them just yet. That's more for mature dreads that weren't recently separated. But it's worth experimenting with 3 days on/3 days off just to see. Or a bead only in public since you're worried about the look.

As far as wrapping them... Never works in dreading, never seen it work, and the idea that they would congo without any movement and loose hair just doesn't add up.

Wrapping dreads and wearing beads pretty much only serve to smooth bumps/zigzags.

Also, if they're not very mature, keep in mind they should fatten up to about the same thickness of the section of hair on your scalp once they're fully mature. So with the thicker dreads, if they are the same size sections as the thinner ones, maybe the thicker ones are just a little more mature!

Whatever you do, don't palmroll..

calipark
@calipark
12 years ago
54 posts

Well I saw your photos. Absolutely sick dreads btw. After looking at them I can just say many props, let em congo!!!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

do u want a braided looking lock if it congos from a braid it will always look braided (see my rainbow picnic pics of the guy (now a mem-=ber here) with the braided congos)

to congo simply let what happens happen just dont seperate if u dont seperare they congo its that easy

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
KafkaX
@kafkax
12 years ago
69 posts

The last time I seperated any of my locks was atleast 6 months ago. I stopped doing it because I found it unneccesary. None of my locks have congo'd since.

So I havnt done anything (until recently) and they havent congo'd...Thats why I thought maybe I should step in before these rip...The main problem is, I think, is that they are not fully dreaded to the root. There is about 3 inches of non dreaded hair, which is the weak spot where they are slowly ripping off...

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts
I have a few small ones and i started to have them to start to congo simply by putting them together with a bead. They started to join together at the roots after keeping a bead on them for about 2wks. I also congoed 2 about 7mths ago the same way and now almost completely joined all but maybe 3 inches at the ends so beads do work to congo!
calipark
@calipark
12 years ago
54 posts

ah very cool Doogie, makes me wonder how differently the resulting congo looks!!

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
I have encouraged 2 very tiny dreads to congo with a glass bead for weight and a wrap under the bead to keep it in place. The weight of the bead actually helps your (my) hair move around more. I've had them in place for a couple months I think and I can no longer differentiate between the 2 sets of roots. If you have a bead with a decent sized hole you can get it on all three but it takes some work. Thread one or 2 babies thru the hole, then take some string or dental floss folded in half and thread it thru the bead with the loop at the top. Pull the final dreadling thru that loop, then pull on the ends of the string/floss until the straggler is thru the bead, then move the bead around until it's where you want it. It can be tough tho. My experience with trying to flatten or round out a lump or obnoxious bump with a bead has not been successful. The end result is the bump poofing back out the first wash after I take the bead out.
calipark
@calipark
12 years ago
54 posts

I'm relieved from all the threads I've read that said they don't, beads really do work nicely! Sweet I can't wait to rock them. Sorry for the misinformation =/

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form