Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

homemade flax lock up gel

sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
...and to help the locking process along. I don't think that using globs and globs of it over a long period of time would be good, just like any other dreading product (besides shampoos Ect) . But if you wash every 2 to 3 days ...especially if you use the baking soda rinse your dreads should be okay.Further reading has made me aware that the gel that is formed is called mucilage -a thick, gluey substance produced by nearly all plants and some microorganisms. flax produces it as a soluble fiber. It is a water-soluble fiber.... Which means it dissolves easily in water.I think this recipe and information should be shared with the dread community.
updated by @sarai: 07/23/15 05:22:45AM
sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
Lol thanks for the tip ;)

Kimberly Eve said:
I have done this, but it was pre-dread. It is a very simple, natural gel. It also doubles as a great lube ;-)
sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
Okay its official!!!!!!I just received confirmation from Vicki at dreadlockshampoo.com. who in email confirmed that boiling the flax is how they create the base for their lock up gel.If anyone would like a copy of this email let me know. :)
sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
Also, I tried my hand at making the gel this morning. It was easy to do but messy as hell to strain! It is like a slimy mucus type substance. Yuck lol. But its in the fridge thickening right now and I can't wait to try it!If your a DIY type of person I say go for it, its not going to mess up your dreads. If your kitchen illiterate buying from dreadlockshampoo.com is a better option if you don't want to deal with the mess and shorter shelf life which is about 2 to 3 weeks homemade.
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
Very cool!!! I'd be interesting in doing this, I'm super broke right now, so ordering stuff isn't much of an option for me. I've been thinking a lot about trying my hand at making shampoo, soap and lotion....
sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
same for me. Money is tight for us right now so ordering online isn't an option, that's what led me to finding out how I can make my own non residue gel at home to tame frizz and help the locking process a bit.

Mons said:
Very cool!!! I'd be interesting in doing this, I'm super broke right now, so ordering stuff isn't much of an option for me. I've been thinking a lot about trying my hand at making shampoo, soap and lotion....
Marq Mutant
@marq-mutant
12 years ago
16 posts
This is so cool I would like the email please sarai my email is ascetic83@gmail.com
sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
@ Marq - I just sent it. Let me know if you have trouble receiving it.
Marq Mutant
@marq-mutant
12 years ago
16 posts
@ sarai I got the email THANKS again.
sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
@ Amanda - your welcome. And yes please do, I am not in any way discouraging anyone from purchasing their products in anyway. I hope to try some of their shampoos in the future and would like to compare their lock up gel with my homemade gel. I think that their lock up gel is very much worth it due to the added ingredients and nutrients...which most likely gives it a much better texture as well...but I am also broke so knowing I can make a cheap basic goo at home safely is refreshing.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form