Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

homemade flax lock up gel

sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
Yes. That is what fueled me to learn more about it. I am not one to let fear from unknowing stop me from finding out the truth on my own...guess its a Sagittarian thing ;)

Jessica Reyes said:

wow so many negative responses....that's why this site makes me sick sometimes, I come and go...

Anyhow, this is very interesting,
Oh and she emailed??!! GREAT!

updated by @sarai: 07/23/15 05:13:26PM
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts
i made flax gel in the 80's. lots of kids would use it to hold their mohawks in place. completely water soluable so there's no problems washing or even just rinsing to get it out. the easiest way to strain it is to put some pantyhose or cheese cloth over a cup and than pour your boiled flax seed water into the cup before it firms up too much. then squeeze the pantyhose or cheese cloth to get at much of the gel out as possible. keep it refridgerated and use it with in a few days because it will spoil due to the fact that you aren't adding any preservatives. nice thing is that you can make small amounts at a time and flax seeds are really inexpensive and easily obtainable from bulk bins at most health food stores like sprouts or whole foods.
sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
Fantastic. Thanks for the input heather. I also read that you can reuse the seeds to make another batch. After making my batch today it was very easy to see how this is true because the seeds once heated just spew this mucus stuff which can't all be collected at once because the goo would get waaayy to thick. I threw my used seeds out today but immediately was like "oh! Why did I do that!" Lol

Heather said:
i made flax gel in the 80's. lots of kids would use it to hold their mohawks in place. completely water soluable so there's no problems washing or even just rinsing to get it out. the easiest way to strain it is to put some pantyhose or cheese cloth over a cup and than pour your boiled flax seed water into the cup before it firms up too much. then squeeze the pantyhose or cheese cloth to get at much of the gel out as possible. keep it refridgerated and use it with in a few days because it will spoil due to the fact that you aren't adding any preservatives. nice thing is that you can make small amounts at a time and flax seeds are really inexpensive and easily obtainable from bulk bins at most health food stores like sprouts or whole foods.
sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
With the approval of Vicki founder of Dreadlockshampoo.com here is a copy of a few of her emails sent to me in response to my inquiries. Vicki is an absolutely beautiful soul. I am glad that I had the chance to converse with her.>> ----- Reply message ----->> From: info@dreadlockshampoo.com>> To: "sarai" s*********@live.com>>> Subject: Message from Dreadlocks Shampoo>> Date: Tue, Oct 23, 2012 2:36 pmHi Sarai,>> You are correct. The main ingredient is organic flax seed which is>> boiled (messy messy messy) to work with. It washes out completely>> with water and that is why there is no residue. No aloe is used to>> avoid aloe flakes like other gels. I know everyone loves it because I>> sell a lot and people re-order all the time. I hope this helps you in>> making your decision.>> Blessings,>> Vicki>> Thanks Vicki,>> I appreciate the info. The reason why I asked was because I had seen>> homemade recipes for loc gel (can't really afford online purchases right>> now) and was worried that it wasn't going to be safe for my hair. Which>> got me wondering about your product and why it was considered safe>> because the ingredients looked about the same minus the added proteins>> gum and essential oils. I inherently trust your products to be safe>> because you advertise on dreadlockssite.com so I figured it couldn't>> hurt>> to ask you about it.>>>> Again thank you for the info.>>>> Joy to you,>> Sarai> ----- Reply message -----> From: info@dreadlockshampoo.com> To: "sarai" > Subject: Message from Dreadlocks Shampoo> Date: Wed, Oct 24, 2012 8:19 am>>>>> Hi Sarai,> Here to help and #1 is healthy safe products. Chem free. I lost my> husband to bladder cancer which is directly related to exposure to> chemicals when contracted at a young age. So I don't mess around, I> have 2 daughters I needed to protect and that is how all this> business started. I could not find even in a health food store> products without chemicals. My stepson has dreads past his knees and> was in need of shampoo, he also lost a few dreads due to super dry> dreads.....that's when this part of the business was born. So rest> assured my products are safe and are the best out there. If you> don't want to make it yourself come to us. Thanks for the> questions....always love when people take the time to learn.> Many blessings to you Sarai,> Vicki>Vicki,>> Wow, what an incredible inspiring story. I am a new mother myself and can> only imagine the impact such a loss would have on me and my son,> spiritually and financially. Your children are blessed to have such a> resourceful mother! Thank you for sharing that with me.>> I do plan to purchase from you in the future when money isn't so tight. I> would love to compare my homemade goo to your lock up gel, I'm very> interested in the difference of texture and hold.>> Would you mind if I shared a copy of our emails on the dreadlockssite> forum? I started a post there inquiring about homemade lock up gel. That's> how this inquiry to you came about because I was receiving negative feed> back from it, mostly about being fearful to "experiment" with their> dreads. I am a truth seeker and never can I let the fear of not knowing> stop me from looking further into something for myself. After doing a> little research and then comparing your ingredient list I was convinced> that homemade flax gel is nothing to fear. But I just had to ask you to> make sure, like I said in my last email I trust your business.>> I am in no way trying to steal your business or discourage people from> purchasing from you. I see the value and specialness of your product, due> to its added ingredients, oils and proteins. As I said in a post to the> forum, "I cant afford online purchases right now, so it is refreshing to> know I can make a basic non residue goo at home, but would love to try> lock up and dread shampoo when I have the money.">> I can understand if you aren't comfortable with this, seeing as how you> are a business. I just feel that this is helpful knowledge to the dread> community. Let me know what you think.>> Love and light,> Sarai---- Reply message -----From: info@dreadlockshampoo.comTo: "sarai"Subject: Message from Dreadlocks ShampooDate: Wed, Oct 24, 2012 5:10 pmHi Sarai,Please feel free to share at the forum. I believe we are all here tohelp one another in anyway we can. The home madegel you are making will not harm in any way.Many blessings,Vicki( this last reply was edited by me befor I posted it on here due to there being lots of personal information being shared. So what is shown is her own words but the middle of her message I edited out and... as is obvious my reply message is not included due to the same reason. These are authenic emails being sent)Namaste everyone!
sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts

Amanda said:

How wonderful for her to share that information with you. I think I am just going to wait until the 1st and go ahead and order her products because she is such an ethical business-person and people like that are really hard to find. <3

That's exactly why I wanted to share her emails with everyone :) and because I want everyone to know that they can make a simple basic gel safely at home.
sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts

Okay so I tried out my Flax gel goo last night. It worked really really well and I love the results. Only thing is that in some spots it got kind of flaky so thats no good. I read that cooking the mixture to long and using too much flax makes the gel too thick so it will cause flaking. Im going to try my hand at it again later today. My first batch I used 1/2 cup flax to 2 cups water. I will try 1/4 cup flax to two cups water and see if that works better.

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

I'm sold. I'll definitely be trying this!

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Might be worth adding some essential oils too!

sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts

agreed. I didnt use any with my first batch, this time Im adding essential oil of Spruce. The smell is heavenly :) I really want to get some aloe gel to add to it too.

Adam Kelly said:

Might be worth adding some essential oils too!

/ 3
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form