Dreadlocks Forums

Sigh back to where i started

TheOhm
@theohm
12 years ago
21 posts

ummm

Tied up in knots said:

and not rinsing with ACV. Most of the sites even assumed you mixed both together for a chemical reaction.

SE's recipe indicates or alludes he is mixing both together.. just an fyi.
"for a weak acv id add just a splash, maybe a capfull or 2 to the same gallon size pitcher for a strong version id use a cup or more of white vinagar" http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/super-clean-dreads-safe-...

All of that is ridiculous. And they all seem to be blogs written by housewives. Not people with science backgrounds. We've had a pharmacy tech explain the ratios. I'd trust a pharmacy tech before I trusted some blog site. http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/baking-soda-and-sea-salt...

this link says acv is OPTIONALcontraryto what you said and what everyone else on this website thinks...so yes that would be pretty alkaline/drying/damaging... you see i dont have dreads (yet)... so if itcauses hairs to break they dont knot, they fall out.

updated by @theohm: 07/23/15 04:07:43AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

btw

if you EVER color treatted your hair the lemon juice is extra bad as the layer of the hair it affects is already compromised

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Baking soda is an abrasive. Of course, It's a salt. When mixed with so much water, itdissolvesand becomes CO2 with some left over minerals. It's abrasive nature is what scours the dead skin off of your scalp making it healthier. It also removes oils. You can use baking soda to clean dirty pots and pans. It's not just the water and sponge that get oil and grease off of them. It's the abrasiveness of BS.

Sure, they don't sell BS as a cleaning agent directly. But why do you think that many cleaning products advertise using it? Why would toothpaste have it if it did not clean as well and scrub? Why would clothing detergent have it?

Your hair gets oily because the pH of your scalp and hair is too acidic. When you use BS, which is a base, the pH of your scalp raises and you stop producing as much oil.

Sure Vinegar can be used to clean too. But it is not the only cleaning part of the BS/ACV wash. While the BS raises your pH, the vinegar brings it back down to the correct range for a healthy scalp.

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

I never said it was mandatory. I said they had problems and weren't using the rinse, not everyone needs it but many do.

Grab some reading comprehension and some humility. You came to us for advice, we're giving it to you. If you don't like it fine, but don't tell us we're wrong when you're the one with your hair breaking apart.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its only optional if

you are oily

if your oily your too acidic so not using acv will nudge you towards alkaline

once your adjusted its nesacary to prevent you from becoming too alkakine

and no you do not mix them u do bs then you do acg=vfg after rinsing

TheOhm said:

ummm

Tied up in knots said:

and not rinsing with ACV. Most of the sites even assumed you mixed both together for a chemical reaction.

SE's recipe indicates or allude he is mixing both together.. just an fyi.

All of that is ridiculous. And they all seem to be blogs written by housewives. Not people with science backgrounds. We've had a pharmacy tech explain the ratios. I'd trust a pharmacy tech before I trusted some blog site. http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/baking-soda-and-sea-salt...

this link says acv is OPTIONALcontraryto what you said and what everyone else on this website thinks...so yes that would be pretty alkaline/drying/damaging... you see i dont have dreads (yet)... so if itcauses hairs to break they dont knot, they fall out.

--
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

I clicked the link to re-read it to be certain and no, he does not allude or indicate any such thing. He runs through the entire routine step by step. The BS and ACV steps are separated by an entire paragraph. Perhaps you should read it again.

TheOhm said:

"for a weak acv id add just a splash, maybe a capfull or 2 to the same gallon size pitcher for a strong version id use a cup or more of white vinagar" http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/super-clean-dreads-safe-...

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

i think he's saying to reuse the container but to create a new mix by adding the splash of acv to the water. perhaps it could have been better worded so it could be understood clearer? but that is how i took it.

& think better of your dig on housewives? since you edited your post & deleted that part out? just remember some housewives have gone to school or even had careers before they decided to dedicate their time & life to their house &/or families. they may have more knowledge than you give them credit for, not all, but some. as a housewife i use baking soda & vinegar in all my cleaning, heck i use it to wash my diapers, the baking soda first to wash & strip them & then the vinegar in a rinse to bring the ph back. same as the hair.

you don't have to argue here, take the info you can get use out of & ignore the rest. if you think there is a better way make a suggestion, but we don't have to get huffy about any of this. just weed through the information there is & decide what works best for you.

TheOhm said:

ummm

Tied up in knots said:

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

if baking soda doesnt clean then why is it when i posted how good it cleaned on fb

a dozen people who used dreadheadhq shampoo tried an experiment they washed with the shampoo then immediately after the bs soak and captured the rinse water in a sink and took a pic and the water was brown to black

thats how well it removes dirt that shampoos left behind

--
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Ixchel. I do apologize for the housewife comment. That was out of bounds. If I didn't have a part time job I'd be a housewife too and I don't think I'm a dumb bunny at all.

The problem is that I follow more than a few mommy-blogs, written by housewives, and they also moonlight on advice columns and give TERRIBLE unfounded advice about things they know nothing about. So I had a knee jerk reaction and chose the improper wording.

I'd edit that out to be more accurate/fair but I can't now...bah

So let me clarify that I should have said "Uneducated individuals with more opinions than sense" NOT "housewives".

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

thanks tied up, i didn't even realize it was you who said it i thought it was the original poster since i was skimming through trying to reply to a couple different comments at once. i think no matter the topic or the blogger you will find blogs out there with good or bad information, you just have to do more searching to decide what is the good or bad. i'd never take a single blog as "fact" lol

Tied up in knots said:

Ixchel. I do apologize for the housewife comment. That was out of bounds. If I didn't have a part time job I'd be a housewife too and I don't think I'm a dumb bunny at all.

The problem is that I follow more than a few mommy-blogs, written by housewives, and they also moonlight on advice columns and give TERRIBLE unfounded advice about things they know nothing about. So I had a knee jerk reaction and chose the improper wording.

I'll edit that out.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form