Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Do the loose hairs really dread up on their own??!

mel2
@mel2
12 years ago
21 posts
hii have stopped crochet hooking my dreads months ago and have heaps of loose hairs - some inches long. Do they really find their way into the dreads by themself? if they were to form new dreads they are going to be very very thin!any advice welcomethanks x
updated by @mel2: 02/14/15 10:16:18AM
RollRemedies
@rollremedies
12 years ago
12 posts

Peace, They ABSOLUTELY will dread, but in time... depending on you're hair type that will determine how long this process takes,My hair is straight/wavy and takes a bit longer than say someone with naturally curly hair. But providing you keep washing with the right things and let them hang loose and play a lot you couldnt stop them from dreading if you tried!! Patience is key my friend, let time take hold and so will your loose hairs :p

RollRemedies
@rollremedies
12 years ago
12 posts

also, I can vouche, over the past 9 months I have had moments of anxiety only to be relieved that the hairs inevitably dreaded, but loose hairs are part of the process, and you will ALWAYS have some here and there, trying to get rid of them is fighting the natural process and kind of defeating the whole idea of having locks I personally dig the messiness, you learn to after a while.

RollRemedies said:

Peace, They ABSOLUTELY will dread, but in time... depending on you're hair type that will determine how long this process takes,My hair is straight/wavy and takes a bit longer than say someone with naturally curly hair. But providing you keep washing with the right things and let them hang loose and play a lot you couldnt stop them from dreading if you tried!! Patience is key my friend, let time take hold and so will your loose hairs :p

mel2
@mel2
12 years ago
21 posts
thanks! i have curly hair but its not tight curls and i have a halo of little fluffy curls around my head -- its taking all my will power not to attack them with the hook but i love being freed from having to maintain them and i'm not at all fussed by the mess i was just panicing about what will happen if they don't go in and years down the line having to deal with all the extra hair!! thanks for the reassurance - i will go back to not caring now :)
mel2
@mel2
12 years ago
21 posts
ps what is the right stuff to be washing in - i use bicarb and essential oils followed by cider vinegar? ta
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

That's just fine. By "right stuff" Roll means a non residue soap or the BS/ACV wash

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I don't know from experience but from what I have read is that crocheted dreads, when recovering, will have MORE loose hairs than the average because of the breakage that occurs from use of the hook. Over time they will all get sucked in, just be patient. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well typically thats more frizzies along the body of the dread not so much more loose hairs at the roots ..tho i guess both can be increased ..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Aah, okay, I kind of assumed that there would be loose hairs along the shaft from breakage and root loose hairs as the crocheted dread starts to loosen up.

Haha, I remember seeing dread crocheting for the first time in a YT video and thinking, oh my goddess, what is she doing to her hair?! :P I could hear snapping happening as she was demonstrating and that was just plain scary.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

The scariest thing I've ever seen with locks is felting. Where did that seem like a good idea? If you can get it at a craft store, it doesn't belong in your locks. Other than beads

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form