Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New Dreads - Seeking guidance

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

Well, your friends' dreads might look neat and everything, but they're not meant to be "hard" cos that's a sign that wax is still in there. I used a tiny bit of wax when I first started, and I got it out, so maybe they have too, but just because wax looks like it dreads hair neatly and quickly doesn't mean it does. People don't even really use wax to keep them neat, more because they think it locks them up quicker, but it does the opposite.

Also, wash them whenever you want. Clean hair dreads faster, and even if they do unravel, it doesn't matter cos they dread up again. If you never want to risk them unravelling, you'll have to not wash your hair for a few months, I'd imagine, so that's no good.

And why do you want dreads if you're afraid of the stereotypes surrounding them? Even people with neat dreads are judged, and the only way to truly keep your head looking frizz-free and everything is to do things that damage the dreads themselves. So, I mean...I get not wanting to look really messy, but are dreads really something that you'll be happy with if you can't accept the actual nature of dreads? You can tie them back or use aloe vera to tidy them up when you need to. But messiness is ALWAYS a part of dreading. Always. Not combing your hair for months and letting it tangle is always going to create untidiness, and the methods used to get rid of that mess is detrimental to the dreading process, or the dreads themselves.

Oh, and don't keep them covered up as much as possible. The opposite. Keeping them covered up often tends to stop your hair from moving about freely. And remember to separate your dreads when they start joining together, because that stops them from growing together, which is what you say you don't want.

updated by @tara-c: 07/09/15 09:57:31PM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

if you don't want to undo them & go completely natural (which I would recommend & it sounds like you'd be great for since they knot up overnight! you'd just have to keep on top of your separating for while) just take out the rubber bands asap. get any wax you have in them out & never touch the stuff again. i don't see why you can't touch them...they are going to loosen, tighten, shift, knot, whatever. you can wash them, in fact you SHOULD wash them. washing helps the knots form. Every 2-3 days is how often most ppl with baby locks wash. You can cover them with a wool tam while you sleep, or on "messy" days, but they do have to move to lock up & if you have them to squished in a tam all the time they might just form that one big ball you don't want & not lock up as individual dreads, i was using a wool tam at bed but i switched to a wool pillowcase so my hair is still free but also rubbing on the wool as i sleep.

Why are your friends locks hard? Or the even better question...why would you want hard locks? & "great" locks are even, lump free & hard??? I understand not wanting HUGE sections & really tiny sections...but i would never want them completely uniform either, hair is organic...let it look it. Same thing with lumps, they are beautiful, they make the locks look alive & real instead of like extensions or something. Embrace them.

You won't escape the hippie thing ( i don't see why it's a bad thing anyways), but you can educate those people. Let them know that dreads aren't only for hippies, you aren't a hippie for xyz reasons but you have dreads for xyz reasons. Education overcomes ignorance.

To get clean tight locks. Wash your hair with bs/acv or a dreadlocks shampoo (no residues), don't use wax or bands in them, wait for them to mature & tighten on their own.

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/washing-dreadlocks-guide <washing guide (you can find the bs mixture link there as well) don't worry about them unraveling when you wash, they probably will look different EVERY time you wash. they will knot back up, don't worry, they HAVE to loosen & tighten, rinse & repeat, to do what they NEED to do. I would skip the spray shampoo just because i don't know what is in it & what it's doing to your hair. Use the baking soda wash at the link. Easy & clean.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

lemme tell ya bout a brilliant friend of mine robbie he had something like 4 phds and was ceo of like 6 or 8 fortune 500 companies (his business card lists all these impressive credentials in small black letters but then in bold red says "and also an accomplished apple picker" the 1 thing he was most proud of.)

upon retiring he turned all his business suites into rags and he made a business suite out of his ties (best suite ever) moved into a tipi and started an off the grid community (ifn fact the documentary "off the grid" is about his community

he has ties flying from the top of his tipi poles travels the country in a hippie bus..and is happy he was miserable when he had to conform and wear those business suites..yea he made alot of money...but guess what he ended up doing with it ..he gave it away

it didnt make him happy it tied him down..

now he doesnt use money hardly and hes much more free..oh yea and proud to be a hippie

i myself almost ended up in a corporate business suite hell

i cut my 1st set of dreads to go to school for computer programming i did good in school and all but it gave me the worse headaches i hated having to wear a suite every day..

finaly i graduated and got lucky..i broke my back the day of my graduation party

yea u might not think breaking my back and endeing up in a wheelchairs "lucky" but it was it saved me from the hell of having to wear that damn suite the rest of my life from the corporate hell..i was headed for

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

Awesome guys, that help me out a lot! Whats the best way to go about drying my locks?

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

When you've finished washing them, wring them out until the water stops dripping out of them a lot, then do the same with a towel if you want, and then you basically just go about your day and let it dry, so it's best to wash them in the morning. I mean, sitting out in the sun is good, but if there's not much sun, it's just a waiting game, or maybe you can use a hairdryer if you're in a rush.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

shake em out air/sun/drip dry when u can when u must blow dry but in short quick bursts so u dint cause heat damage

never ever wrap em up or tie emk up or wear a hat when even lil damp

keep em loose and able to gert airflow around em when damp

--
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

squeeze what you can out of them & let them air dry. some ppl use blow dryers but I tried it once & felt like i was blowing my hair straight (opposite of what i want!)

Ryan C said:

Awesome guys, that help me out a lot! Whats the best way to go about drying my locks?

Mechell Arant
@mechell-arant
12 years ago
56 posts

if you gotta blow dry, use a diffuser...my hair's a sponge, so i resort to that sometimes. Nothing works like the SUN!

Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

Nice! Yeah, yesterday I just left my windows down on the drive to work. They werent even damp when i got in, and it felt great the whole way! haha.

Another thing... Would it hurt or help my baby dreads to wear a full-face motorcycle helmet?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well pulling it on and off over young dreads might undo a lil progress

and might be hard to get it over mature dreads

but sure is better then a brain smeared on the highway

--

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags