Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Wet dog smell: Should I be worried about mold?

ToTheAnkles!
@totheankles
12 years ago
102 posts
Normally when I have washed my hair it takes like 10 hours tops for it to dry (I wash my hair, go to bed and when I wake up it's dry). Last wash was different and I noticed 1-2 dreads in the back that still weren't completely dry after 2 days.Now my hair smells like a wet dog, I'm washing it today again and throwing in extra teatree (10 drops instead of 3) since I read on this forum that getting rid of mold requires alot of teatree.Normal wash is 1/4-1/3 gal water, 3 drops peppermint, 3 drops teatree, 5 drops of lavendel and 5 drops of rosemary along with a small amount of baking soda.Should I dig up the old thread about getting rid of mold and do the exact steps as mentioned there, or am I freaking out about nothing and is it impossible for mold to have formed in those few days? I'd rather be safe then sorry.
updated by @totheankles: 02/14/15 05:06:44AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u could have mold and teatree isnt the 1 u need its lavender and wghite vinager

or thyme

soak the dreads in a mix of

3/4 cup white vinager 1/4 cup water 30-50 drops lavender

or make a very strong thyme tea and soak in that

leave on 24 hours then rinse dry thoroughly in the sun if u can

when u sleep if u must go to bed with em wet lat[=y em off to the side with a fan blowing on them

neverf sleep with them under your back or anywhere they cant get airflow

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ToTheAnkles!
@totheankles
12 years ago
102 posts
Thanks for the reply.The thing I have with the vinegar is that I have no idea which to get (it's a language barrier thing). Here you have vinegar for cleaning (I don't think you mean that...quite aggressive stuff) and there's vinegar for putting on salads. But there's like 10 different kinds of vinegar for salads, very cheap ones and really expensive ACV for like 5 bucks for a 500ml bottle. Do I have to get expensive vinegar or is the cheap generic kind fine aswell?And I will be drying them very well from now on with a towel. It was mostly a laziness thing and they aren't uber thick or mature so I figured I could start focussing on the drying once they still remained moist in the morning. It just went from dry in 10 hours to dry in 2 days and that was kind of a big surprise.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its actualy white or clear vineger you want its the kind you put onj food and is cheap by the gallon not apple cider vinegar..white

(which is clear not white by color)

its probly the cheapest

--
ToTheAnkles!
@totheankles
12 years ago
102 posts
Thanks alot, guys.It's pretty likely that I have mold (despite the fact that my dreads are barely dreads and that they're very thin), I washed my hair right after making the previous post with essential oils and was smelling like a rose and dried my hair very well (it was dry within a few hours) and now I'm smelling like a landfill again.If there is anything to be learned form this it's: DRY YOUR FRIGGING HAIR AND DO AN VINEGAR RINSE AFTER WASHING!Really, smelling like a filthy bum for 3 days before you know what's up is not very enjoyable.It's winter here so the sun drying thing isn't going to be working, but I'll be sure to soak them in vinegar.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

and lavender essential oil

--
ToTheAnkles!
@totheankles
12 years ago
102 posts
Yea, and lavender. Will adding a bunch of teatree help as well? I'm mixing the stuff up as I'm typing this. Also, will just pouring the stuff on my head and wrapping my hair in a towel be enough?And any idea how this could have happened? I've been doing some searching and it seems it only happens when you really neglect the dreads or put them in a hat wet. I've only had them for a few months, no wax or residue shampoo or other chemical junk, just the 1/4-1/3 gal water mixed with 3 drops peppermint/tea tree and 5 drops lavender/rosemary. One time they take 2 days to dry and it's an immediate disaster...
ToTheAnkles!
@totheankles
12 years ago
102 posts
Washed out the vinegar soak yesterday, and it's already starting to smell again.I'm going to try to remove the dreads and I hope to god I don't have to cut my hair, took me 4 fucking years to grow it this long and I don't feel like starting over.I'll start with the parts that are smelling the most (it's near the top of my head so I think it's in the roots of one of the bigger dreads) and hopefully I don't have to remove alot before I find the culprit.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

just repeat the application it might take as few tries

you wont have to remove emk

--
ToTheAnkles!
@totheankles
12 years ago
102 posts
Thanks for replying again, luckily the smell hasn't become much worse (not like last time).I'm just worried some of the stuff is in the roots and if I wait for all the roots to tighten it'll get stuck in the dreads, and if I try to pry it loose now I can wash the mildew or whatever it is out and have a clean start. It might kill it but I doubt it's going to completely dissolve the mildew.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form