Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What qualigfies as "damage"

Daniel
@daniel
15 years ago
118 posts
He is probably damaging his hair in the long run, but not enough to make a huge difference. I think that were all open minded people here, and as open minded people we have to accept the fact that some people want dreadlocks just as a look and not as a lifestyle/medium of self expression. If those people want "perfect" uniform boring dreads, then theres no reason they shouldnt get what they wantafter all its their hair
updated by @daniel: 07/10/15 03:19:12AM
Courtney J
@courtney-j
15 years ago
100 posts
I agree for the most part. I'm kinda a neat freak. Thats just my personality. I would like my dreads to be more uniform..... Can't help it. Charaxesdistanti said:
I think what you said is hypocritical to a degree. If he thinks that is what his dreads should be then they do represent him. Just like tattoos and piercings, a lot of people have similar or identical ones but everyone got them for different reasons and each one makes that person who they appear to be. Just because his dreads are "perfect" doesn't mean they are any less and it doesn't mean they don't represent his natural state of being.
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
Where does the need to be "neat" come from? Like what is the practical application of being "neat"? I am not insinuating I am just asking.
Matted Dew
@matted-dew
15 years ago
213 posts
boring dreads = oxymoron
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
Didjeridurian said:
Where does the need to be "neat" come from? Like what is the practical application of being "neat"? I am not insinuating I am just asking.
jobs can be a big part of it to, I'm constantly reminded by alot of people that theres no way i stand a snowballs chance in hell of getting into any decent job I want even if I had the most uniform, tidiest, frizzy free dreads there possibly is,despite what validity there is to that, I intend to try anyway
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
Order is organization. It is having everything put together in some sort of a methodical system so that it has a place and makes your life more efficient. There is order in nature of course. Just look at beehives and ant hills.I am saying that "neat" hair has nothing to do with that kind of order. Its not like, at some point, you are gonna have to find a specific dreadlock for some reason. "Neat" is a subjective word of vanity. The condition of your hair has little to do with the organizational structire of your life. Charaxesdistanti said:
Having balance and order. Certainly people can naturally crave order which they do, and being neat or having control over certain things helps maintain that order.

Didjeridurian said:
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
"having control over certain things helps maintain that order."We can only control the things we create. We can control our possesions and our schedules and the systems that we devise to organize our lives. However control over nature is an illusion. Trying to control your hair is an uphill battle. Its gonna want to do what it wants to do and you are gonna have a different idea of what it "should" do.I really like the dread styles I see where the women put them into different sort of braids and designs for certain events. To me that is sort of like a partnership between a person and their hair. Controlling how you present what grows is possible but getting worried about the actual hair and how it looks seems like a struggle in vain. Charaxesdistanti said:
Having balance and order. Certainly people can naturally crave order which they do, and being neat or having control over certain things helps maintain that order.

Didjeridurian said:
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
Do you experience frequent power outages where you are?My friend live in India and he says the whole town will lose power almost every day for many hours. Rev. Nira said:
i live in rural india and let me tell you there are almost no showers - only the wealthiest homes have a hot water geezer and hand hose shower - msot people pee at the river bank and kids pee on the street and if they have a toilet its not the flushing kind anyway its a squatter hole in the ground that you throw water into from a tap if you make solid waste only - unless you are shitting out on the river bank too. many homes have a water tap in a closet kind of thing where they bucket bathe and also pee and there is no hole like a loo. its funny that india would write up about this except that the city folks are so westernized now in thier bathroom habits that they have forgotten the old ways or try not to admit to them. only those people would be reading the india times in english on the net anyways! i have sim card mobile internet which is like one of about a dozen of these i this town of 10,000 people. one public computer is here in town open about half the time and hardly being utilized since not many english speakers and the hindi keyboard is befuddling even to hindi natives. and its cost prohibitive. as i said most families dont even have a toilet.

Anubis said:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/mad-mad-world/Pee-in-the-s...
Random link! FTW!
Blonde Dready said:
This thread made me think alot. my brain hurts >.<</body>
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
My way around this is to remain sky-clad as often as I can. Instead of going completely natural, or living a completely modernized life, I like to balance between the two as often as possible.... Just thought that I'd throw in my opinion. Didjeridurian said:
Well there are unnatural means we must utilize because we have been seperated from nature. No one is saying that we have to go 100% natural "cold turkey". I am saying that the things that are reasonably within our means and ability to do natural should always be done so in order to achieve a collective realignment.
I have stated time and time again that we are forced to utilize manmade tools and techniques becasue we have also manufactured an unnatural habitat for ourselves. We can utilize these tools as a means for making them obsolete as we gradually return to nature. Rev. Niradhara said:
LOL "all you need is love.. doo doo doodoodoo.." you have some good arguements bro - with respect - i just want to add , how are your clothes manufactured? we have a long path to return back to our total natural state - no clothes. and in cold climates all natural and ahimnsa to boot. i personally hand stitch all of my own from pure cotton or hemp. organic cotton when i can get it. i used to do alot of hand dying from plants now i am wearing as part of my sadhana white, undyed. about 5 yrs now. everyone is at some differing stage of this natural state. as you said we are not separate from nature, the way i see it even artifice is somethign we created as creations of the creator. because thsi kind of creation often causes damage, exploitations, etc along the way its not somethig i personlly want to participate in further creating. some seem very very far from nature - meaning harmlessness - some doing what we can, where and how we can with what we gots... its not really fair to make judgement calls. we can be kind in our attempts to educate and live by example best we can. and dont forget to LOVE.

Didjeridurian said:
I will go back again and again to the concept of natural development in cases like this.
Natures plan IS our plan. We are nature. There is zero difference between creator and creation.
So when people see naturalism as dogmatic they are assuming that nature is "someone else's" plan.
Nature is our own guide to ourselves. By living naturally we will find the most possible joy. As a culture who has been so far removed from nature, we tend to act from ego and do things just becasue we can do them. Then we say we should be free to do those things but what we don't realize is that natural law is OUR law. We enforce it on ourselves whether we realize it or not. Creations of man that are derived out of a manufactured limitation of nature are counterproductive.Our merits are not measured by the "things" we create, they are ultimately measured by our level of understanding. Manufacturing is an illusion. Art does not belong to us, music does not belong to us. We simply participate in it. When we try to create these things out of ego all we do is impede the natural process.No matter what WE do to our bodies, anyone else can do the exact same thing, but what we ALLOW our bodies to become cannot ever be duplicated.There's nothing you can do that can't be done.Nothing you can sing that can't be sung.Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the gameIt's easy.There's nothing you can make that can't be made.No one you can save that can't be saved.Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be youin time - It's easy.
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
Just wondering. Where does neatness come into play when referring to dread maintainance? I mean, it doesn't matter how much you crochet your dreads if you look greasy, haven't shaved for a week, collar of your shirt stretched out you aren't looking neat. Of course when I stay home I'm in slob mode....But when I go out I'm dressed nice, I smell nice, have my hair pulled back....I have in the past been accused of being "femanine" in regards to keeping my appearance nice.I have had more compliments on the appearance of my 'natural' locks than when they were formed including family members saying they look better. When it comes to dreads...what is neatness?

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form