Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Flat dreads (odd title i know)

☮Tex☮
@tex
13 years ago
15 posts

Ok guys i am currently using a cap for my dreads at night so that they will not be so messy in the morning when im going to work. Long story short they are flat when i wake up. My usual routine is gettin warm water and just kinda fluffing them like a pillow to get them to plump and/or look round again. I also have to pull my hair back at work which causes the ends to have a wavy look. (Now that i said all that lol) Here are my questions.

A. Will i have to do anything to get them to round completely bc some still remain flat looking "which is probably bc they are still babies (3wks old)"

B. Will the wave look go away at any point?

i know when i wash them they will go back normal looking but of course once i go to work i will have to pull it back into a pony tail. Any ideas?

updated by @tex: 01/13/15 08:54:19PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
why ya wear the cap? lose that and i bet the issue goes away

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮Tex☮
@tex
13 years ago
15 posts
well i do it bc if not in the morning my hair is super frizzy
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

I think the "wavy" that you are experiencing is an indention caused by using too thin of an elastic. Try using a scrunchy or using a headband twisted down to the size of a ponytail holder. This can still cause a slight indention, but it is so much better on your dreads than just a regular ponytail elastic.

Normally a dread that starts out kinds flat will round itself out. But if a dread is constantly pulled back and flattened, it can start to knot and form into a tighter flat shape. The dread is kinda "trained" to be flat. There is a large possibility that the training will take hold and it could stay in a flatter shape.

So pulling it back all day and putting it in a tight cap all night is not giving your dreads an opportunity to move around free. Baby dreads thrive on the freedom of movement they get when they are not confined. The movement actually encourages to roots to knot and the dreads to round out.

☮Tex☮
@tex
13 years ago
15 posts
i see i see. so i need to use a different method or more loose way to tie them back. when at home i just let them be but at work ugh

taye said:

I think the "wavy" that you are experiencing is an indention caused by using too thin of an elastic. Try using a scrunchy or using a headband twisted down to the size of a ponytail holder. This can still cause a slight indention, but it is so much better on your dreads than just a regular ponytail elastic.

Normally a dread that starts out kinds flat will round itself out. But if a dread is constantly pulled back and flattened, it can start to knot and form into a tighter flat shape. The dread is kinda "trained" to be flat. There is a large possibility that the training will take hold and it could stay in a flatter shape.

So pulling it back all day and putting it in a tight cap all night is not giving your dreads an opportunity to move around free. Baby dreads thrive on the freedom of movement they get when they are not confined. The movement actually encourages to roots to knot and the dreads to round out.

taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
loljust another reason not to like work. Yes take every opportunity to let those babies hang free!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form