Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Matting hair

Carl Dowler
@carl-dowler
13 years ago
5 posts
Hey everyone, Im wondering about Matting hair in my dreads, especially at the back of my head and near my neck. Ihaven'thad dreads for that long so I don't know if it's a good thing or not thatthey'reforming into a flathelmet of tangled hair at the scalp (the rest of my head is fine though).
updated by @carl-dowler: 01/13/15 08:54:17PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
yea seperate more often if thats happening also hope u went natural if they dread that fast

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
oh geez u need to get the wax and rubber bands out wax is evil you also gotta stop backcombing and stop working on tem

--
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

am a little confused by the term "matting" in your question. Felting is sometimes referred to as matting. Hair should never ever ever be felted. Of everything i have ever heard done to dreads (besides covering them with latex) felting is the absolute worst.

And no you don't want them to form into a 'flat helmet of tangled hair at the scalp". a regular routine of separating y our dreads in the shower once a week should keep that from happening. Separating is done by taking 2 dreads that are starting to attach to each other and gently pulling those dreads away from each other .If this is not done, it will cause the dreads to congo or become one dread.

I have seen a couple of uni-dreads on face book. These uni-dreads formed because there was no separation ever done to the dreads.The "helmet" formed into one big giant dread on top of their head.

Carl Dowler
@carl-dowler
13 years ago
5 posts
what I mean is, the hair at the back looks like it's un-dreading a bit, I fixed it up a few months ago. It use to look like a mass of straight, matted, tangled hairs with tiny dreads coming out of them it's a bit better now but theres still a tangled layer of hair just near the scalp.
taye said:

am a little confused by the term "matting" in your question. Felting is sometimes referred to as matting. Hair should never ever ever be felted. Of everything i have ever heard done to dreads (besides covering them with latex) felting is the absolute worst.

And no you don't want them to form into a 'flat helmet of tangled hair at the scalp". a regular routine of separating y our dreads in the shower once a week should keep that from happening. Separating is done by taking 2 dreads that are starting to attach to each other and gently pulling those dreads away from each other .If this is not done, it will cause the dreads to congo or become one dread.

I have seen a couple of uni-dreads on face book. These uni-dreads formed because there was no separation ever done to the dreads.The "helmet" formed into one big giant dread on top of their head.

Carl Dowler
@carl-dowler
13 years ago
5 posts
Thanks! duly noted. I only just realized how bad this is for them. I was just using the bands to help keep them separated at the roots, Im gonna fix this as soon as I can :s

soaringeagle said:
oh geez u need to get the wax and rubber bands out wax is evil you also gotta stop backcombing and stop working on tem
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
how did u "fix them up"? when u seperate seperate thoroughly to the scalp

--
Carl Dowler
@carl-dowler
13 years ago
5 posts
I did a lot of pulling and tugging to separate them. Though they're never reallyseparated right nowno matter how much I try toseparatethem in any direction fromeach other.

soaringeagle said:
how did u "fix them up"? when u seperate seperate thoroughly to the scalp
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form