Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

feeling annoyed with my dreadlocks....

Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts

My dreadlocks are 6 months old today and I really have been amazed by how patient I have been with them. I thought that I would freak out about how they looked and need them to be more manicured and 'presentable' and such, but I really have done a great job at just accepting them and letting them be what they needed to be and do what they needed to do...until recently. I hate this phase (it Is a phase right?)--I live in humid (frizzy hair) FL and my hair has shrunk and fattened up so much I can no longer put it in a ponytail (my fav hairdo) and the few times that I manage to eek out a ponytail it is all lopsided and looks like SHIT. I am not a vain person, by far, but I am just really feeling frumpy and unattractive and this isn't helping right now.

Please reassure me that this is only passing phase and that they will grow or become less 'thick' and/or i will reclaim my patience and tolerance for the process cause right now I don't like them :( and I hate that.

I also am not a fan of how they have doubled back on themselves (skinny thin dreads) and have formed flat thick matted dreads vs. rounded, thinner dreads. i tried to put beads on the ones that were like a flat plate of dreadlock (on the back underside of head) but as soon as I took them off (2-3 weeks) they just went back to being flat and bulbous. Will they eventually tighten up and be more dreadlock vs. flat, matted strand o hair?

I will update with photos when I have my camera at hand.

just frustrated.

updated by @mama-harrison: 02/14/15 06:38:17AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

frumpy? unatrzctive? you? come on girl your a freaking goddess i mean we need a mop to clean up the drool everytime u post some pics your dreads have been awe inspiring an inspiration to so many

lets see these pics we'll risk the mess on the floor weve been patiantly waitting for updates anyways

but yea they will be growing soon

your at about 7 months?

by summer you'll bere rockin your piny again till then leabe em hang free

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jeffree Vega.
@jeffree-vega
13 years ago
66 posts
I agree with SE, you have no reason to feel frumpy or unattractive! You're beautiful and even more so with dreadlocks.We are our own worst critics. Once you get some pictures up and we see how great you look, you'll start to feel differently
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts

thanks SE. you sure know how to make a girl feel good about herself ;)

I am @ 6 months now. I will look forward to the summer then.
soaringeagle said:

frumpy? unatrzctive? you? come on girl your a freaking goddess i mean we need a mop to clean up the drool everytime u post some pics your dreads have been awe inspiring an inspiration to so many

lets see these pics we'll risk the mess on the floor weve been patiantly waitting for updates anyways

but yea they will be growing soon

your at about 7 months?

by summer you'll bere rockin your piny again till then leabe em hang free

Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts

YOurs look like they are doing similar crazy things as mine :o I know that this craziness 'makes' dreadlocks, but it is hard to do anything with them when they are so short and fat and kinky now--I am one who doesn't like my hair down in my face and it is unnerving to not be able to pull it back without it looking like a mop on the top of my head. *so, i guess i am a bit vain, right?!

bobbi blaine said:

i am going through the same thing you are... it sucks but i know our dreads will eventually be awesome : )
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts

here are some pics of my mess right now :(

I just am not a huge fan of wearing my hair down all the time and I hate how it looks and feels up right now. Most of my dreads aren't quite long enough to stay in the tie and so they fall out and flop around and get into my face and arggggghhhh...generally bother me. Plus, one of the reasons that i desired to dreadlock my hair was because i have never been proficient at 'doing' my hair or creating a pleasing 'hair do' and this was a way for me to not have the stresses of that to contend with anymore, but I am feeling like maybe my hair wouldn't 'look so bad' if i knew how to 'style' it a bit better or do anything more skillful than pull it back in a tie :(

I know its hard to tell in a photo, but my hair is SOOOO thick I cannot put my hands around it when it is next the my head and thus the short ponytail that is floating off of my head like 5 inches.

updated by @mama-harrison: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

seee gorgouse u even showed up in a dream i had last night

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jeffree Vega.
@jeffree-vega
13 years ago
66 posts
Honestly, you still look beautiful. Your dreads are really coming along great (:
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts

MagicMeganMama said:

You need to come join the Incredibly Shrinking Dreads group. I have had the same issue. My hair shrunk from my bum to my shoulders- and I live in very dry Colorado- so apparently they will shrink no matter what the climate is. and I felt so ugly with big fat ends etc. I'm just about to my 8 month mark and things are getting better. I wrapped some of the fat ends with embroidery floss and that has made a huge difference. What looked fat from folding over and over itself, is actually not fat at all- just not completely tightened yet. I promise it will get better. Oh, and I can't do ponytails right now either- but I've been finding new ways to work with my dreads. It just takes time. Hang in there.
so would've i
@so-wouldve-i
13 years ago
71 posts
I'm just a few weeks over 2 months, but I started with hair just at my shoulders.. Been worrying a little more lately than before about shrinkage but I think I am just going to ignore it hahaha, just can't wait til my hair grows in more though!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form