Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Washing is making sections unravel?!

Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
Your hair is alot like mine it looks like. But, why are you crocheting it?! :-\ I would be so afraid to damage my hair to breaking point.Yeah, not touching it has kinda been hell for me! The hair on the underside of my head is knotty like crazy! But, you look at me from the front, and you couldn't ever tell I'm trying to dread. lol. I guess it is a good way to work everyone around me into the idea ;) lol, but I still kinda wish it would hold a little bit. :)

Heather said:
i have the same problem. i'm only a little over a week into my natural journey so i know i have a long way to go but it does get frustrating seeing sections develop and then disappear in the next wash. two steps forward and three steps back. the advice i keep hearing is don't touch it. not even when you wash. just pour the bs/acv mixed over your head and rinse. i gently squeeze my hair out in a shamwow towel and then leave it alone. when i had brushable hair i was always running my hands through it and it's been a struggle. i've been crocheting a lot which keeps my hands busy and my mind off of the crazy state of my hair.

Lacie Blaze said:
I feel for u. Before I started I always had my hands in/on my hair. Its been so hard to think about it before its done! My front 1/2 of my head looks way different that my back 1/2! lol. I've just come to terms that the front 1/2 will take longer, albeit my decision or not. Then I just try to keep it out of my face as much as possible to remind myself it doesn't need to be touched! lol

updated by @lacie-blaze: 07/28/15 06:58:30PM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
i think she means real crocheting, like what crochet hooks are meant for...

Lacie Blaze said:
Your hair is alot like mine it looks like. But, why are you crocheting it?! :-\ I would be so afraid to damage my hair to breaking point.

Yeah, not touching it has kinda been hell for me! The hair on the underside of my head is knotty like crazy! But, you look at me from the front, and you couldn't ever tell I'm trying to dread. lol. I guess it is a good way to work everyone around me into the idea ;) lol, but I still kinda wish it would hold a little bit. :)

Heather said:
i have the same problem. i'm only a little over a week into my natural journey so i know i have a long way to go but it does get frustrating seeing sections develop and then disappear in the next wash. two steps forward and three steps back. the advice i keep hearing is don't touch it. not even when you wash. just pour the bs/acv mixed over your head and rinse. i gently squeeze my hair out in a shamwow towel and then leave it alone. when i had brushable hair i was always running my hands through it and it's been a struggle. i've been crocheting a lot which keeps my hands busy and my mind off of the crazy state of my hair.

Lacie Blaze said:
I feel for u. Before I started I always had my hands in/on my hair. Its been so hard to think about it before its done! My front 1/2 of my head looks way different that my back 1/2! lol. I've just come to terms that the front 1/2 will take longer, albeit my decision or not. Then I just try to keep it out of my face as much as possible to remind myself it doesn't need to be touched! lol
Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
If thats directed towards me, No, I haven't even started with the ACV yet, as I read it has a softening effect, and thats just not something I need right now! lol. I'm glad to hear its not only mine that has done this... I was concerned I was just doing it all wrong or something! :) Oohh.. thanks so much for mentioning the shower head thing... I never thought of that! That could be another reason I've had some issues! I was rinsing with the bath nozzle, on a low pressure, but still!NW, thanks! That makes way more sense! lol! :)

Chewin Change said:
Wait a sec I just noticed you said bs/acv mixed. You're not mixing the two together are you? And you're rinsing in between applying the two right?

Hun from what I've noticed, if you use more water and proportionally more baking soda it tends to get your hair cleaner. And a hot wash and rinse before the cold rinse is important... As SE said in a thread it lowers the viscosity of the oil. Keep in mind it will drain to all of the ends of your hair so rinse your hair with hot water thoroughly until you're sure you're clean, then do your cold rinse for a bit.

The whole two steps forward three steps back thing is absolutely correct for natural dreads with hair like mine (yours sounds like mine) in the first couple months. You see dreads form, then you see them disappear and reform. It's a hint of things to come. But one knot attracts more and it's exponential.

The dreading is already happening. The initial knots are the slowest to form but once they start they speed up fast. It's just very hard to spot because it's starting at a small scale first.

I used to use my hands a lot when I washed. Not anymore as of today (I've been cutting back touching while washing bit by bit). And a lot of the dreads on the top layer of my hair that formed stayed put this wash. That was also from using a ton of rinses /w water out of a gallon pitcher instead of running my hair under my shower head (which can be forceful at times, and has a combing effect).

Also, it's important to rid your face of any oils throughout the day so it doesn't catch onto the hair. That and you'll feel cleaner. You also might wanna try covering your pillow with a towel if you use a tam. After sleeping on a towel I noticed the tam catches on the towel and creates more movement :)

Ahh... that makes way more sense :) lol.
Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
Thank you Chewin! I will go purchase some ACV when I get some cash! I was kinda thinking the same way you were, but I haven't really had issues with it yet. But, I've also been using the salt water spray, so I'm sure if would come up sooner or later! Is there anything specific I should look for when getting one? Good brands?
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
no, no, no. i'm crocheting hats not my hair. lol:)

Lacie Blaze said:
Your hair is alot like mine it looks like. But, why are you crocheting it?! :-\ I would be so afraid to damage my hair to breaking point.

Yeah, not touching it has kinda been hell for me! The hair on the underside of my head is knotty like crazy! But, you look at me from the front, and you couldn't ever tell I'm trying to dread. lol. I guess it is a good way to work everyone around me into the idea ;) lol, but I still kinda wish it would hold a little bit. :)

Heather said:

Lacie Blaze said:
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
or if you live on the coast, you could just go to the ocean like i did and fill up a couple of spray bottles:)
Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
Oh, thanks so much! Those are great tips for the salt water spray, too. I've been using1-2 tbls for a whole, typical water bottle size(but since I dont know the size differences, I have no idea how that compares, lol), so I will switch over to tsp so I can be accurate! :p
Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
I live in Seattle, so I'm by the Sound... but honestly I dont trust the water in there! lol. Maybe I will take a bunch of water bottles on vacation with me to the ocean! :D

Heather said:
or if you live on the coast, you could just go to the ocean like i did and fill up a couple of spray bottles:)
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i think next time i'll bring a bucket. trying to fill a small spray bottle with waves crashing isn't so fun. it was cold.

Lacie Blaze said:
I live in Seattle, so I'm by the Sound... but honestly I dont trust the water in there! lol. Maybe I will take a bunch of water bottles on vacation with me to the ocean! :D

Heather said:

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form