Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Washing is making sections unravel?!

Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
Hey! I have a question that I need some guidance with, if you can help! :) I've been washing with baking soda 2-3X per week. It was doing a fantastic job.. but the last couple times I've been noticing alot of my sections seem to be coming apart afterwards. I haven't done anything different than what was working well before.I'm going natural. I started on 9-11-10. The sections split up pretty quickly. I was actually starting to knot up really nice a little over a week ago. Then I washed them, and my hair didn't have hardly any sectioned parts anymore. The next time I washed, the same thing happened. Am I washing too often? I was washing very little before I started my journey, so I wondered if maybe that could somehow be effecting it.Other than washing, I haven't done much of anything to my hair... besides pulling my hair from my face with a clip(I was having issues with the front 1/2 of my head not dreading due to me pushing it behind my ear all the time.... bad habits are hard to break!).Any advice/suggestions/whatever?!Thanks you guys! :)
updated by @lacie-blaze: 02/14/15 03:51:42AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
are u just pouring it on then roncing no rubbing?how are u drying?ive seen ther drying process undo progress b4

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
I rub my scalp due to overproduction of oil that doesn't seem to rinse off when I just pour it, let it sit, and rinse. Should I add some sort essential oil to help minimize that so I dont have to rub it at all(I've been trying to completely avoid my hair in the process, but its not the easiest thing to do)? To dry it I've been just taking a towel and squeezing my hair to get the extra water out then air/fan drying.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
thyme will slowly reduce oiliness u can use an oil or a teaid just shake em out and let em dryoh also with oilinessa hot wash will open pours reduce oil viscosity and clean out the pores while removing oil easier..then do a real cold rince this will close the pores so u produce lessi beleive and u would have to ask pantera if im right but i believe that also opens and closes the cuticles on the hair shaft 1st allowing oils to penetrate, then sealing them in therefore your scalp doesnt get that urge to produce more since theres enough already nourishing the shafts

--
Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
Great! I will have to go find some Thyme in the next couple of days. :) I have been doing the hot/warm to rinse then super cold when I'm about to get out. I will also start just shaking out the excess water. Thanks so much for the advice, SE! You're awesome, and without this site, I know exactly where I would likely be... stuck in candleland... I really appreciate you and all the advice you give!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
and try a wool sweater over your pillowe or something

--
Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
Right, Chewin.. its so tough to be gentle when you're trying so hard to forget that you have hair ;D lol. It feel like its a constant battle to either keep myself from touching it, or trying not to worry about it!I did a good, thorough wash last night as you told me, SE. I think you were right on about why it was happening. I didn't rub, and the sections seem to have stayed pretty damn well! :)I'm trying to find a sweater or something to wrap around my pillow at night, but the wool I was using was so itchy! Know of any suggestions to help with that?
Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
Does the hardness of the water effect it?! Wow..
Lacie Blaze
@lacie-blaze
14 years ago
39 posts
I feel for u. Before I started I always had my hands in/on my hair. Its been so hard to think about it before its done! My front 1/2 of my head looks way different that my back 1/2! lol. I've just come to terms that the front 1/2 will take longer, albeit my decision or not. Then I just try to keep it out of my face as much as possible to remind myself it doesn't need to be touched! lol
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i have the same problem. i'm only a little over a week into my natural journey so i know i have a long way to go but it does get frustrating seeing sections develop and then disappear in the next wash. two steps forward and three steps back. the advice i keep hearing is don't touch it. not even when you wash. just pour the bs/acv mixed over your head and rinse. i gently squeeze my hair out in a shamwow towel and then leave it alone. when i had brushable hair i was always running my hands through it and it's been a struggle. i've been crocheting a lot which keeps my hands busy and my mind off of the crazy state of my hair.

Lacie Blaze said:
I feel for u. Before I started I always had my hands in/on my hair. Its been so hard to think about it before its done! My front 1/2 of my head looks way different that my back 1/2! lol. I've just come to terms that the front 1/2 will take longer, albeit my decision or not. Then I just try to keep it out of my face as much as possible to remind myself it doesn't need to be touched! lol
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form