Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Best alternative to wool is..?

Tyler
@tyler
14 years ago
3 posts
huh that is interesting. I just read some stuff about that after you mentioned it. It's kind of like corn and how it used to be just a small prairie grass with a tiny seed cluster. I do understand where you are coming from.... but i feel that because humans have made small tweaks on cows and other animals doesn't mean that we should continue locking them up and reproducing them. I am just coming from a perspective where I respect animals and don't think of them as a source of meat. Just because these animals are domesticated does not mean they are any less of a product of the wild. They are still as wild as their ancestors they have just been manipulated a small bit. I would rather have them not exist than make them live a life of the farm. Even though they are 'domesticated', I don't think that makes it ok for people to exploit them. I was just reading about the natural ancestors of the cow. It's really interesting to see what the true nature behind the cow is. I feel that because we are so used to associating cows with food and farms it has changed the way we look at them. If you were to see that cow in nature for the first time it would be a much different experience. It's kind of how so many people view themselves today. So many people are so far disconnected with the natural world and forget our deep roots with the earth. The cow and us are kept far away from nature in unnatural worlds so we forget what we realluy are. Alright i think im done here haha sorry this threads topic turned around but hey this is a good convo to have. this took quite a lot of thinking oh and none of this is directed negatively at you jdwood, i was just trying to get my opinion out. Peace =]
updated by @tyler: 07/22/15 09:51:05PM
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
Found this on another forum of people who live cruelty free:A clip from the Natchwoolie Etsy store:"Welcome to natchwoolie bringing you natural colored wool, fiber and fur harvested from our lovingly and naturally raised animals that are residents of our NO-KILL farm. We specialize in LUXURY AND FINE FIBERS. We use no unnecessary medications. Our babies are raised with their mothers in a natural, happy and loving environment. We spin our own yarn and process our fiber with no harmful chemicals."So it seems this wool from this manufacturer would fit the bill, and I'm sure there are many like this.I understand your concern and I agree that in mass production, some wool may be of bad quality from facilities that treat the animal poorly. In other words, don't buy your wool from walmart type places.

Jon said:
Howdy.

I think the reason why we're both disagreeing is because we're thinking of completely different scenarios. I can see how the animals kept by someone who uses their yarn for fiber art are going to be kept healthy, but I'm thinking more of cheap, commercially available yarn like what you might find at the nearest department store.

Places like these, I just can't see them working with someone that sells for that kind of price. If you work with fiber art, I can see your yarn being from such a place. If you were someone like me, who doesn't have that much money and would be looking for a cheaper yarn, I don't think I would get something like what you're talking about. The places I would look for this yarn probably sell wool as a by-product of meat. At least, this is how I believe they would do it, I cannot see such stores who would sell these yarns for a couple of bucks spending time, effort and money on keeping an animal healthy and happy, as it should be when they'll most likely send if off to a slaughter house at some point.

My comment was not directed to all who sell/use yarn. You always have to look at the big picture, IMO. I just think big commercial chains that sell cheap wool wouldn't do it as you are describing it. Thank you for the info on fiber art, though. That way it does make sense to me, but I know I don't have the money for something that expensive lol.

Panterra Caraway said:
Hi! Not trying to argue with you but I don't think you have all your info correct Jon. As far as wool goes...years ago I am sure it was much different, but these days with the popularity of fiber arts such as kntting and crocheting yarn (especially wool ) is big business. Skeins of pure wool can cost as much as $200! Yes, that is right, $200! I have been to yarn shows and festivals where the yarn is as precious as gold. The sheep that produce this yarn are the manufactures bread and butter and they want that sheep (or rabbit, or alpaca, etc.) to be healthy and well cared for so that they can continue to produce beautiful yarn. On top of that, sheep need to be sheered to keep them healthy and happy. Without sheering, an animal can attract bugs and other problems due to their bulky coat. Sheep are sheered in the warm weather and they are more comfortable with their new haircuts. Sheep can produce yarn their entire lives so what is so wrong with people making beautiful items out of what could be just thrown away in the routine caring of the sheep? It is in no way humane to let an animal become infested with bugs or swelter in the heat and search the wilderness for food when they can be in the shade, feed well and sheered and kept healthy. I think it is unfair to assume that people harm animals across the board. The workers who sheer the sheep can do their job in a matter of minutes and the animal is unharmed.
Jeanna
@jeanna
13 years ago
20 posts

I met a couple girls that spinGORGEOUSyarn, and only use wool from well treated animals. I chatted with them personally and got to touch the yarn, which is amazing. If you can knit or crochet I would highly recommend it.

"Dunnose Head Farm operates without the use of herbicides, pesticides, dips, footbaths or regular injections. Their sheep produce a fine, soft wool that is so white it doesnt need any bleaches during processing, and the electricity for the farm itself is wind-generated."

Here is there FAQ page where they talk about how they source the wool.

http://www.spincycleyarns.com/faq/

Jessica Ann Hughes
@jessica-ann-hughes
13 years ago
85 posts
Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. Cotton is really soft has those wool like qualities sometimes, so would cotton tams and other things be alright, too?

Desirae Rose said:
Can't you just use cotton? Cotton is so great. ^_^
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Jessica, this is a pretty old thread...from back in September. But, if you read back through it you can answer your own question...NaturalWomyn makes it pretty clear

Jessica Ann Hughes said:
Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. Cotton is really soft has those wool like qualities sometimes, so would cotton tams and other things be alright, too?

Desirae Rose said:
Can't you just use cotton? Cotton is so great. ^_^

/ 4
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form