Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How offten do you wash with the baking soda wash?

Crystal2
@crystal2
14 years ago
24 posts
I don't know how it is for hair but I use the bar soap on my kids in the bath and it leaves a lot of residue on the tub. Much more then other types of soap I've used. I love it for them but I wouldn't use it in my hair for that reason. Joe muir said:
I know it leaves buildup. thats why I want to know about the bar soap.

updated by @crystal2: 07/03/15 06:15:05AM
Crystal2
@crystal2
14 years ago
24 posts
This sounds great and I'm sure it works well but I just don't usually have that kind of time. With 3 kids it's hard enough for me to get the time to even wash my hair weekly! I would like to try it on occasion though cause it sounds nice. Thanks for the through explanation. Chewin Change said:
i dont use acv... it caused buildup and smell

also... baking soda with warm water works better than baking soda with cold water.. just compare the fizzing!!... its great to use to rinse afterwards, though.

dr bronnars leaves residue in a lot of waters so I wouldn't really bother. happened to me. and if you do use it you HAVE to dilute it, its very powerful.. 12 parts water 1 part bronnars. even then I still had buildup

i let baking soda soak (1-2tbps per cup of water depending out how dirty I feel) for 20 minutes while im surfin the net.. I use 3 cups at first with hot/warm water.. then I go into the shower, pour another 3 cups on and let that soak as I wash for 10 minutes and then rinse it with warm (not as warm as the first soak) water.. after I feel it's almost rinsed I then change to freezing cold water and make sure there's no baking soda left behind..

the only time I've had issues with baking soda, and smell/oil/buildup were the issues, it was because I either didn't use enough cups, let it soak long enough, and i used to rinse in between the baking soda which didn't allow it to truly soak in my hair. it's very important to rinse all of it out afterwards.

lastly, buildup of oil can occur if you don't wash your tam/hats regularly. cause then it just puts old oil right back on your hair.

EDIT: Bar soap causes residue too so that doesn't exactly help baby dreads.. mature dreads it won't affect quite as much.

also, essential oils aren't all that helpful unless you're treating a particular condition.. oil in general doesn't help dreading.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
I use Maylee's soaps and really love them! But I also alternate with the baking soda wash just in case, plus I love how clean it makes my hair. I usually do the baking soda wash in the sink. I have a ton of hair so I need to use a lot 1/3c baking soda to a gallon of water, I pour it over my head in the sink and soak my dreads in the mixture. I squeeze out a few times and and rinse in the shower. Doesn't really take any extra time. I hope you can find what works great for you! Many Blessings
Mikey Mikez
@mikey-mikez
14 years ago
90 posts
everybody's hair reacts different to different cleaning products and enviroment... for example mine gets a bit more irritated by liquid bronners compare to ok feeling after baking soda. but my hair loves sea water, if i swim in a sea regularly i dont need to wash.. thats when im on a seaside with a lot of sunshine... at the moment im inland and i can tell my hair s not too happy here. i wash once a week..(while inland without sea+sunshine)
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Every time I wash may hair. At the moment I am washing my hair two or three times a week.
❀.Zombeth.☮)O(
@zombetho
13 years ago
42 posts
From my personal experience, apple cider vinegar was the one thing that made my hair feel kinda greasy.So I used less and tried to rinse my locks as best as I could, squeezing my dreads during the rinse and after when drying.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form