Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

new dread looseyness

Johnny Barnas
@johnny-barnas
14 years ago
45 posts
so i recently started backcombing my long ass, thick wavy kinda hair into dreads! I do a few every day with a friend and are nearing finishing them! Oh and NO WAX is being used.Now id say maybe 3-4 dreads that weve maid are pretty damn loose. Theyre not totally falling apart, but they are pretty close to it. One i can actually stick my finger through x) and i feel like i could pull them apart pretty easily.The dreads that are loose are fraying hair, this meaning that the hair that should be dreaded is kinda comming free of the dread in single strands, which makes em look like crap. Im aware that new dreads are going to be loose, but i feel like these are too loose, and like anybody else i wanna have my dreads grow up to be strong and healthy!So basically i need some help on what i should do. Should i pull them apart and re-backcomb them? Rub em with a wool sweater? Im the learner here, so anything you got give it to me.Thanks for reading, and posting if you decide to, means alot.Peace love and happiness
updated by @johnny-barnas: 01/13/15 08:44:06PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
thats what backcombing does no no no rebackcombing its too damaging dont backcomb the rest tewist and rip instrwead its a better methodand just wear a tam spraty with sea salt now and then and be patient if u add a bead that will help1st several weeks bakcombing almost has to loosen to tighten it needs to reorder itself

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Johnny Barnas
@johnny-barnas
14 years ago
45 posts
ohhh alright. i had no idea about the backcombing having too loosen deal. That made me feel much beter, i was afraid they were totally just not gonna fix themselves. But what about the one that has the hole i can get my finger through? Will that just totally lock up on its own? I feel like since the hair where the hole is feels like regular hair it wont. soaringeagle said:
thats what backcombing does no no no rebackcombing its too damaging dont backcomb the rest tewist and rip instrwead its a better method
and just wear a tam spraty with sea salt now and then and be patient if u add a bead that will help
1st several weeks bakcombing almost has to loosen to tighten it needs to reorder itself
Johnny Barnas
@johnny-barnas
14 years ago
45 posts
alright man. ive been wanting to get a wool tam for a while now, and now im gonna definatly get one. im gonna also go down to the beach and get a bunch of sea water to have to spray some on my dreads everyday.thanks for the advice Chewin Change said:
They're gonna get loose. Most backcombing undoes itself. Don't re-do the backcombing, you'll just end up damaging the integrity of the hair. Wool tams help quite a bit. Just keep it clean and leave it be! Leave the hole there. Don't undo any more knotting. Hair does some wild things..
Johnny Barnas
@johnny-barnas
14 years ago
45 posts
you say to not leave the salt water on your head. do mean washing your hair after you put it on or what?and wow, sleeping with a wool tam is a killer idea. props to you for thinking of that. ill be sure to do that.thanks a bunch for the advice man. cant tell you how much i appreciate itone love Chewin Change said:
1tbps of sea salt per cup of water! No iodized salt. Use near boiling water so the salt dissolves, otherwise you may see visible salt crystals.. I use a spray bottle, that's best for it so it doesn't soak on your scalp. Don't leave it on your hair for too long, it does no good after a couple hours. Cause then it gets on your scalp (avoid that). Too much and you'll have an oil explosion. Some of us learned the hard way lol.

As for the tam they sell stuff here and also elsewhere. I got mine on Etsy.com from a person called CreativeHandknits I believe (I got the rolled brim type, works great). Just make sure its 100% wool, and clean. Loose is good cause it'll encourage movement. Oh and it made a huge difference! Especially after sleeping /w a tam on and waking up (I wear one every night).

Good luck and have fun
Johnny Barnas
@johnny-barnas
14 years ago
45 posts
alright sounds good man ill be sure to do that.thanks again!
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
If you don't have a wool tam, you can get yourself a wool sweater of any other animal fabric to put on your pillow, it really does wonders for the dreading :) Johnny Barnas said:
But what about the one that has the hole i can get my finger through?
Stop putting your finger through it :Pjust leave it and it will tighten with time
Johnny Barnas
@johnny-barnas
14 years ago
45 posts
hahahah nah man love hearin storiesyea man thats wack ahahah ill be sure to buy a fresh one offlineoh and i checked out the etsy site, some good stuff on therethanks again for all the help man. Chewin Change said:
Hope ya don't mind that I add this.. But whatever you do make sure it's not a wool tam from a garage sale lol. A month or so ago I picked up one from a garage sale and saw little remnants of bedbugs in there. I was way tripped out! Lol sorry stupid story but I thought it was funny ^_^

Paula said:
If you don't have a wool tam, you can get yourself a wool sweater of any other animal fabric to put on your pillow, it really does wonders for the dreading :)

Johnny Barnas said:
But what about the one that has the hole i can get my finger through?

Stop putting your finger through it :P
just leave it and it will tighten with time
Johnny Barnas
@johnny-barnas
14 years ago
45 posts
hahahah yea i guess thats the best thing to to. i have a bead over it now so im not tempted to touch it or anything.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form