Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

so i got an email today about manicured locs

karen
@karen
14 years ago
78 posts
This made me laugh...please stop telling the truth because it hurts salesman...i tell the truth even if it hurts me.
updated by @karen: 07/09/15 10:50:14PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea i agree well he wont say what methods he meant only that his cousins interlocked MiDread said:
I am not really sure what "less harmfull" methods of maintenance would be because I don't do anything with my hair, BUT - couldn't you suggest to him that he teach "less harmfull" methods and maybe instruct his clients that way????? They could still come to him for let's say... an aloe treatment?????? :) !!!!! Or maybe a BS/ACV wash with essential oil rinse???? Some people just feel the need to be pampered and messed with and want to pay for these services (girls especially like a "spa day")!!! Maybe this person could change their methods a little and still promote dread "maintenance and care"????? I can feel for people worried about their incomes in this economy. It's hard for everyone - even locticians who are promoting bad methods. Not to excuse them...but hey - we can offer some alternatives -can't we????

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jaquerian McCain
@jaquerian-mccain
14 years ago
45 posts
Well I would not say you should stop. however, I would say that presentation is key. I understand that most on this site are "natural" locs. However, I for one - no matter how much I would like to free-form my locs simply cannot. I work at a law firm, I go to court, my appearance is critical. Knowing this...me wanting to do something has nothing to do with my paycheck. And my paycheck maintains my house. Now if I worked in advertising or some other field that was more diverse and accepting...perhaps. But as a black woman who works in a majority white man's profession...there is a need to acclimate to certain things in order for me to get to the point I want to be. A cookie cutter image can have raw edges.On here - a lot of what I read is how stupid folks are to go and have locs maintained. How ignorant they must be because they obviously do not know that they can do this or that themselves and that every loctician is attempting to rip someone off, and that everyone who interlocks or crochet has damaged locs. Which none of that is 100% true. I simply think that a more polished way of communicating would be better. I know YOU don't like interlocking. However, I also know that if you walked up in my law firm looking for a job you would not get past the reception area. Not even as kitchen help. You may be the smartest person in the world - but no one here would listen. So how one looks is important.I think free-form locs are the best. I have had them. Most of my family are true Rastas in the hills of Jamaica. They live a true rastafarian lifestyle. Yet even they know when they come to the states to visit - they have to maintain a certain appearance in order to not be looked at as homeless or big black men who are out to rob and steal. Its the american culture. Things are changing, but they are not there yet. So for those have professional jobs that they need to looked maintained - I think all of us should be more polished in our comments. Not degrade them, call them stupid or ignorant.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
this dudes been on youtubve way too muchwow he thinks that chick with 7 foot dreads has the longest in the world and he thinks they are manicured they are neither manicured or the longest in the world

--
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
maybe you should take your own advice a lil? If you want things to be different try leading by example because your post was pretty condescending. Not that I care, I personally think we should all be free to express our opinions as we wish and if it's not always sugar coated oh well (wo)man up. I see more and more people who didn't dread naturally saying that "we should all just be nicer" and honestly I just don't see the problem. Just because we don't agree with someones method doesn't mean we're saying your stupid. Sounds like unresolved issues to me... Jaquerian McCain said:
Well I would not say you should stop. however, I would say that presentation is key. I understand that most on this site are "natural" locs. However, I for one - no matter how much I would like to free-form my locs simply cannot. I work at a law firm, I go to court, my appearance is critical. Knowing this...me wanting to do something has nothing to do with my paycheck. And my paycheck maintains my house. Now if I worked in advertising or some other field that was more diverse and accepting...perhaps. But as a black woman who works in a majority white man's profession...there is a need to acclimate to certain things in order for me to get to the point I want to be. A cookie cutter image can have raw edges.

On here - a lot of what I read is how stupid folks are to go and have locs maintained. How ignorant they must be because they obviously do not know that they can do this or that themselves and that every loctician is attempting to rip someone off, and that everyone who interlocks or crochet has damaged locs. Which none of that is 100% true. I simply think that a more polished way of communicating would be better. I know YOU don't like interlocking. However, I also know that if you walked up in my law firm looking for a job you would not get past the reception area. Not even as kitchen help. You may be the smartest person in the world - but no one here would listen. So how one looks is important.

I think free-form locs are the best. I have had them. Most of my family are true Rastas in the hills of Jamaica. They live a true rastafarian lifestyle. Yet even they know when they come to the states to visit - they have to maintain a certain appearance in order to not be looked at as homeless or big black men who are out to rob and steal. Its the american culture. Things are changing, but they are not there yet. So for those have professional jobs that they need to looked maintained - I think all of us should be more polished in our comments. Not degrade them, call them stupid or ignorant.
Jaquerian McCain
@jaquerian-mccain
14 years ago
45 posts
I was not being condescending at all. And if that is the way you see it - for that I apologize - for it was not my intent. I've done free form - understand the beauty of it. I have also done palm rolling and now interlocking. I have enjoyed each step, each method. What I stated was simple facts. Does not mean I agree with it...but it does not change it being factual. Everyone is not accepting of the "natural" look. Heck a lot of companies don't allow dreds at all - maintained or not. And they are within their legal right not to accept it if they have "appearance guidelines" that are clearly defined. So I am not being condescending when I say that most up on this site would not get pass the reception desk. Its factual. In fact when I was clerking here I did not have locs. I had cut my locs off and grew my hair out - kept it straight. I knew what was going to be required of me. When up north I did differently. Here in the south YOU as a white woman can walk in maybe get away with certain things I cannot as a black woman. Its fact. Not me being condescending. And here in the south a white women with straight hair and do things YOU can not do. Fact. So no hidden issues here. Im not calling you out saying you have issues or anything. Have no idea what you may or may not have. However, nothing that I stated in my previous post was snide or condescending. And once again if that is how you saw it - for that I apologize, but I stand by what I said. YOU may not have called anyone stupid...but I have seen it on this site quite a few times. NaturalWomyn said:
maybe you should take your own advice a lil? If you want things to be different try leading by example because your post was pretty condescending. Not that I care, I personally think we should all be free to express our opinions as we wish and if it's not always sugar coated oh well (wo)man up. I see more and more people who didn't dread naturally saying that "we should all just be nicer" and honestly I just don't see the problem. Just because we don't agree with someones method doesn't mean we're saying your stupid. Sounds like unresolved issues to me...

Jaquerian McCain said:
Well I would not say you should stop. however, I would say that presentation is key. I understand that most on this site are "natural" locs. However, I for one - no matter how much I would like to free-form my locs simply cannot. I work at a law firm, I go to court, my appearance is critical. Knowing this...me wanting to do something has nothing to do with my paycheck. And my paycheck maintains my house. Now if I worked in advertising or some other field that was more diverse and accepting...perhaps. But as a black woman who works in a majority white man's profession...there is a need to acclimate to certain things in order for me to get to the point I want to be. A cookie cutter image can have raw edges.

On here - a lot of what I read is how stupid folks are to go and have locs maintained. How ignorant they must be because they obviously do not know that they can do this or that themselves and that every loctician is attempting to rip someone off, and that everyone who interlocks or crochet has damaged locs. Which none of that is 100% true. I simply think that a more polished way of communicating would be better. I know YOU don't like interlocking. However, I also know that if you walked up in my law firm looking for a job you would not get past the reception area. Not even as kitchen help. You may be the smartest person in the world - but no one here would listen. So how one looks is important.

I think free-form locs are the best. I have had them. Most of my family are true Rastas in the hills of Jamaica. They live a true rastafarian lifestyle. Yet even they know when they come to the states to visit - they have to maintain a certain appearance in order to not be looked at as homeless or big black men who are out to rob and steal. Its the american culture. Things are changing, but they are not there yet. So for those have professional jobs that they need to looked maintained - I think all of us should be more polished in our comments. Not degrade them, call them stupid or ignorant.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
I wasn't looking for an apology, simply stating that when we all try to censor our own personalities here it becomes a very boring place.I think you came up with some valid points.I didn't necessarily mean YOU had issues, I meant all the people in general who are constantly whining that people with natural dreads need to be nicer. I wasn't being mean I was just giving my opinion to a growing trend that I''ve noticed. Honestly I think we should all just say what we feel and if someone doesn't like it well it's just the internet! ;o) Much Respect Jaquerian McCain said:
I was not being condescending at all. And if that is the way you see it - for that I apologize - for it was not my intent. I've done free form - understand the beauty of it. I have also done palm rolling and now interlocking. I have enjoyed each step, each method. What I stated was simple facts. Does not mean I agree with it...but it does not change it being factual. Everyone is not accepting of the "natural" look. Heck a lot of companies don't allow dreds at all - maintained or not. And they are within their legal right not to accept it if they have "appearance guidelines" that are clearly defined. So I am not being condescending when I say that most up on this site would not get pass the reception desk. Its factual. In fact when I was clerking here I did not have locs. I had cut my locs off and grew my hair out - kept it straight. I knew what was going to be required of me. When up north I did differently. Here in the south YOU as a white woman can walk in maybe get away with certain things I cannot as a black woman. Its fact. Not me being condescending. And here in the south a white women with straight hair and do things YOU can not do. Fact. So no hidden issues here. Im not calling you out saying you have issues or anything. Have no idea what you may or may not have. However, nothing that I stated in my previous post was snide or condescending. And once again if that is how you saw it - for that I apologize, but I stand by what I said. YOU may not have called anyone stupid...but I have seen it on this site quite a few times.

NaturalWomyn said:
maybe you should take your own advice a lil? If you want things to be different try leading by example because your post was pretty condescending. Not that I care, I personally think we should all be free to express our opinions as we wish and if it's not always sugar coated oh well (wo)man up. I see more and more people who didn't dread naturally saying that "we should all just be nicer" and honestly I just don't see the problem. Just because we don't agree with someones method doesn't mean we're saying your stupid. Sounds like unresolved issues to me...

Jaquerian McCain said:

Jaquerian McCain
@jaquerian-mccain
14 years ago
45 posts
In theory I agree with you. LOLHowever, I think a lot of us (natural, maintained, etc.) take for granted the anonymity that is allowed via the internet. My rule of thumb is if I wouldn't say it to you like this in your face...Im not going to type it. If someone approached me and was asking dred advice - I would give them my experience. Tell them they have to pick their own way - fail or succeed. Learn from the mistakes. But realize all my mistakes may not be theirs to make. I have friends who tried interlocking and instantly had damage. I on the other hand - have never had damage or lost a loc. But I ont know their hair - and they ont know mine. So I try to be fair all the way around...and honest. In the corporate world in various states - dreds are a no no. Natural dreds are a hell no. Shaved heads on women or a GTFOH and NO! (LOL) I mean we all know some folks are judgmental. You guys prefer and love natural dreds. And everyone you talk to you - you are going to have nothing but positive things to say about going natural. Got that. But if my experiences in natural, palm and interlocking are just as good - I can speak positively of those. Its not saying do it, do it, do it. Its just saying I have had positive experiences. 10,000 Frenchman may not be wrong, but we must not forget there are 1,000,000 frenchmen. NaturalWomyn said:
I wasn't looking for an apology, simply stating that when we all try to censor our own personalities here it becomes a very boring place.
I think you came up with some valid points.
I didn't necessarily mean YOU had issues, I meant all the people in general who are constantly whining that people with natural dreads need to be nicer. I wasn't being mean I was just giving my opinion to a growing trend that I''ve noticed. Honestly I think we should all just say what we feel and if someone doesn't like it well it's just the internet! ;o) Much Respect

Jaquerian McCain said:
I was not being condescending at all. And if that is the way you see it - for that I apologize - for it was not my intent. I've done free form - understand the beauty of it. I have also done palm rolling and now interlocking. I have enjoyed each step, each method. What I stated was simple facts. Does not mean I agree with it...but it does not change it being factual. Everyone is not accepting of the "natural" look. Heck a lot of companies don't allow dreds at all - maintained or not. And they are within their legal right not to accept it if they have "appearance guidelines" that are clearly defined. So I am not being condescending when I say that most up on this site would not get pass the reception desk. Its factual. In fact when I was clerking here I did not have locs. I had cut my locs off and grew my hair out - kept it straight. I knew what was going to be required of me. When up north I did differently. Here in the south YOU as a white woman can walk in maybe get away with certain things I cannot as a black woman. Its fact. Not me being condescending. And here in the south a white women with straight hair and do things YOU can not do. Fact. So no hidden issues here. Im not calling you out saying you have issues or anything. Have no idea what you may or may not have. However, nothing that I stated in my previous post was snide or condescending. And once again if that is how you saw it - for that I apologize, but I stand by what I said. YOU may not have called anyone stupid...but I have seen it on this site quite a few times.

NaturalWomyn said:

Jaquerian McCain said:

Jaquerian McCain
@jaquerian-mccain
14 years ago
45 posts
Quite the opposite Sister Rages. I have a wholesome, healthy lifestyle. Its just not what YOU would want. See I have already done most of this already. Done the free form - enjoyed it for years. Currently, I am enjoying my lifestyle and my choice of why and how I maintain my hair now. Its not stressful at all. In fact I moved south for less stress. I lived in Chicago for over 30 years. My time will come (when I move back to the islands in 10 years - retirement) when I will once again return to free-form locs. There are many different journeys in life - if one gets to thinking their way is the only way and they feel pity upon those who are not doing it their way - others people are far from the problem. The problem is within. And working in the legal field SisterRags - everything is a fight. LOL But I do not fight for my choice of lifestyle. I have made my decision and those I work for and with are accepting of the decision I have made. There is no fight. So don't feel sorry for me and my choices...for I am quite happy with the choices I have made. Sister Rags said:
Jaquerian, I'm sorry that you are living in such an oppressive environment. Frankly, it doesn't sound very conducive to a healthy, wholesome life on a day-to-day basis. If you have to fight to maintain your position and constantly look at yourself through the eyes of others, well, that sounds stressful beyond belief. Have you ever considered being in a more supportive location?

Regarding the original question, the person who emailed you, se, has chosen his line of work. I'm with Heather - I dislike when people use their work, their partner, their *whatever* to excuse themselves from culpability. And yeah - dude reminds me of the tobacco companies, like someone said. Excellent example!

HELL, no - I won't betray the spiritual legacy of dreads in order to feed the greed.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
Jaqueriani dont have time to read all that and i already tyoped a responce and lost it to a crashso heres a shorter responsemanicured locks are a hairstlyle only not defendable in court and alow a employer to9 push u around and dictate what u may and may not donatural lockds are a lifestyle and a expression of spirituality and or religionthat is defendable in court and no employer can dare dictatye whart you may or may not do or risk a lawsuitethat is the didfferenceu give up ypur right when u manicureu also tell employers they can push u around toou make things worse for all dreadheads by saying its just a meaningless style fgo ahead and force us to all conform,,

--

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form