Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Loose hairs

btw990
@btw990
7 years ago
62 posts
So I know that with loose hairs I am supposed to juse leave them and allow them to find their way, but I suppose I'm just a little paranoid. I've been doing nothing at all to my dreads since I first posted months ago, besides washing and separating, and I think things have been going pretty good. But I have also accumulated a decent amount of loose hair at the roots. Sometimes after washing, some of the loose ones will find their way into a dread, but not the one they seemingly should go into, which I'll notice when I separate and a strand is then in a dread but further away than the one it is closest too. It only bothers me because when doing the separating, the hair will sometimes break at the root, rather than pop out of the dread it is in; I just don't want this to happen if it means those loose hairs are always going to do this and never be anything more than loose hairs. I saw one thread where soaring eagle said that the loose hairs will find their way into whatever dread they are meant to be in, but will that result in congoing? And how can I be careful then when I separate? Another question I have is about washing. I wash my dreads normally, every one to three day. For a little while I was using Tresemme Purify and Replenish all the time because of its anti-residue, but I was starting to think it was keeping new growth from dreading as quick, so I started using Dawn dish soap a little bit for the dryness, which also dried/clogged parts of my scalp and irritated it. Over the weekend I found Dr. Bronner's at Marshall's for a very cheap price, which I stopped using a while back because of the residue it left behind, but I bought it because my dreads had the best results aside from that. So I guess now I am between using these three products as shampoo, particularly because using dread-specific shampoo is out of my budget, but I don't know what really would be best for me to do as far as product and routine. Also, I'm not sure if I'm too rough about washing either. I squirt a bit on top, back, and the sides, rub it in with my palms and then squeeze it in like a sponge, then rinse it essentially the same way, squeezing out the product from each individual dread to get every thing out. Not sure if I should keep doing it that way but I figured I would mention it. Really I just want to clarify if what I am doing is alright or if I should change anything.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

separating dreads will break hairs that are connecting 2 dreads together .. that will result in short loose hairs allover the scalp  that are always  finding a dread they want to be in and breaking when in the wrong dread so ..get used to there being loose hairs around the roots

bronners and a dread shampoo are the exact same price

anti residue shampoos are highly toxic and designed to be used only a  few times a year to remove residues

out of all the options you listed id recommend broners..but only if you don't have hard water although someone today said bronners bars don't have the same hard water issue the liquid does

i get it..budgets suck

but im about the poorest guy you know (and happy about that) but no matter how poor you are or what your budget is..anyone can scrape together 10 to 15 bucks every couple months!

i know people who while homeless collected cans, and bought 3 houses (granted not great houses  and in a really poor hood) but he did have a house to offer anyone in need and all it took was a couple months of collecting cans and selling them to the recycling center

i have seen people make 300-600 dollars in an hour just panhandling

im not suggesting you do these things i am just saying that if you need 10 or 15 bucks every couple months..its extremely easy to afford that

skip 2 meals a month. theres your budget

walk 15 blocks in the city  picking up coins off the sidewalk .. theres your budget

if you smoke or drink  or toke ..cut back just a tiny bit ..theres your budget

literally 2 sandwiches  cost the same as a dread shampoo that will last you months

have an elderly neighbor/ shovel their snow, mow their lawnor wash their car..yu help them they help you

i spent 4 years with  the same 1 cents in my pocket  then gave it away.. not once during that 4 years did i ever feel like i couldn't afford  the things i wanted

i just didn't need to use money to afford what i wanted

i mean we aren't talking about buying a car or house, or  paying for college or anything you need financial planning for.. its just shampoo

the difference between the cheapest crap and the most expensive luxurious shampoo in the worlds probably less then you spent on lunch today

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

srry for the rant haha probably should head to bed..

you get what im saying though i hope.. i mean  drink at a bar .. going to a movie, a couple gallns of gas, grabbing fast food instead of eating whats already  waiting for you when you get home.. even if you find that after every paycheck you don't have a penny left theres always something that you can skip once or twice  to get something you need  only every couple months..

1/2 the people that say i can't afford shampoo spend over a hundred a week on weed or blow through 60 bucks having drinks with their friends most order 2 or 3 pizzas a week and buy sodas when they can just as easily drink water for free

i have a friend whos constantly complaining about being broke yet stops at the dollar store every day on the way to work and spends 20 bucks on  total crap

he thinks hes saving money by shopping at the dollar store  but then says he can't adfford food for his family  cause he  ate 20 dollars worth of chips cookies and assorted other crap

point is theres always some likl thing you can change that makes a big diference so your not  washing yur hair with dish soap, ahd brushing your teeth with laundry detergent

bet ya can think of a couple things you bought just this week you  could have done without..

i got closets full of crap i could have done without .. and i really don't like money i don't like using it having it or depending on it yet theres  plenty of things i spent money on that  was just wasted

your welcome to come clean out myy closet and sell some of the crap i don't need  to get your shampoo

but have a feeling you got a closet full of stuff you don't need too

everyone gets stuff they don't need .. people believe stuff = happiness

the iPhone 7 will make me so much hapoier then the iPhone 6 so i gotta have it..

then they can't afford the things they need like shampoos

but i think you have a baby right? that's a huuuge expense for a couple decades so i understand ou have to prioritize

but i think most people could skip a sandwich twice a month to afford whats best for something they care about

i'll tell ya, before i bought the new server the sites on ..i lived on under 200 a month i spent 500 a month hosting this website

it wasn't in my budget

but i made it happen.. because it mattered to me

yea i need to go to bed im ranting like crazy tonight haha

sorry no offence meant just pointing out that if  washing your hair with something good for dreads matrs  its not that hard to  find the diference between a poor soap and an excellent one.. the price  of the best is what 10 for bars 15 liquid?  the cheapest all chemical crap i saw was abiut 1/2 that  and most are only a  couple bucks diferent

there are dread shampoos  that are about the same prices as tresseme

maylles gardens being 1 i loved ..but again in hard water may leave bad residues

--
btw990
@btw990
7 years ago
62 posts

Lol yeah I got you on all that. Perhaps I need to change how frequently I clean my hair, or how much I use during a wash? Landscaping's out of season so I haven't been getting filthy hair every day. If it was in season, it would probably take me about 3 weeks to go through a 32 oz bottle, don't know if that sounds normal or not. I will definitely try out the Bronner'a bar though. It's only been a little rough because in the last few months we had a baby, gotten our own apartment finally, and I went on unemployment cause my job's out of season now. It's been a bit of a change as far as income and budgeting between bills, baby and food.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

yea i understand  well in winter it sux to wash as often  plus yiu shouldn't need a whole lot

during the season u might want to try the charcoal deep cleans from time to time  getting super clean once every few weeks

so yea id cut back the amunt you use and the frequency thru winter

the other 1/2 of we should be able to ask for a raise due to the baby and situation

--
btw990
@btw990
7 years ago
62 posts

How do the charcoal deep cleans work?

dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
7 years ago
156 posts

I also use the bronners teatree bars for washing and i'm pretty happy with it. The price is ok and the bars really last forever. I wash every five or six days and the soap does'nt leave any residue!

btw990
@btw990
7 years ago
62 posts

I think I got better results with Bronner's tea tree oil shampoo than with peppermint, as far as residue was concerned. I just wasn't sure if my hair was getting as dried out after washing as with the peppermint, but I really want to try out the bar now.

btw990
@btw990
7 years ago
62 posts

What I think I will do then is reduce my washes back down to once per week since I'm not getting filth in it constantly for now. On days I don't wash, should I be wearing a shower cap? Or does that not matter if I'm or actually washing it? I ask because I used to use one in between washes earlier on, but I think the steam or the heat in general would make my scalp sweat a lot, which made it oily, itchy and stinky as all hell. Night caps, too. Should I be wearing them? If not then when I go back to work I'll use one so that I can keep the washing down.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

btw990:

How do the charcoal deep cleans work?

lets put it this way. from years of dragging on the floor mine had alotta lint

ontop of that, i don't drink the water here cause it tastes dirty

ii use the charcoal shampoo and not only is the lint gone but to show a germaphobe friend how  clean they were,right after rinsing i took my thickest dread and sucked and drank the rinse water out of it... it tasted pure,clean, filtered, like expensive spring water

btw990:

What I think I will do then is reduce my washes back down to once per week since I'm not getting filth in it constantly for now. On days I don't wash, should I be wearing a shower cap? Or does that not matter if I'm or actually washing it? I ask because I used to use one in between washes earlier on, but I think the steam or the heat in general would make my scalp sweat a lot, which made it oily, itchy and stinky as all hell. Night caps, too. Should I be wearing them? If not then when I go back to work I'll use one so that I can keep the washing down.

why would you wear anything to bed or in the shower both times are when it knots and dreads the most so being free to move is best

also hot water will cause dry itchy scalp

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form