Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Beads and Your Dreads

Loc Lava
@loc-lava
13 years ago
42 posts

I do remove most of my hair decor when I wash, once a week also. Tonight happens to be that night and I just took out all of my lovlies. I do have a few tiny shells and turquoise and gemstone beads sewn into my hair with clear thread. But they are tiny and are there for me and not really for decoration. Those stay in, but do not hinder the drying process.

I make my loc jewelry and do sell it. I made it with wire so it stays in securely but is easily removable.

You can use so many different things for your loc decorations.

Looking at my little pile here, I have one sterling silver finger ring from Peru...seriously best place ever.

2 bone beads, one dark and carved and one used to be brown buy has faded...might need to change that one out.

2 toe rings, cool cause they are adjustable.

and 4 of my own design loc jewelry.

Plus about 5-7 small gemstones, carnelian, emerald, turquoise, quartz, amethyst and 2 shells. All sewn in.

If you want to look at my stuff, my website is listed in my profile. Just trying to be considerate about self promotion.

Plus there are some people on here who are making the coolest beads out of tree branches. I love them, but have had funny experiences with the energy from wood. Weird, I know.

updated by @loc-lava: 07/23/15 05:05:24PM
Patricia Fox
@patricia-fox
13 years ago
42 posts

Wow thanks for the cool info!

I never though of toe rings.

I will check out yur website.

The tree branches sound really cool too. Where do I find those guys?

Loc Lava said:

I do remove most of my hair decor when I wash, once a week also. Tonight happens to be that night and I just took out all of my lovlies. I do have a few tiny shells and turquoise and gemstone beads sewn into my hair with clear thread. But they are tiny and are there for me and not really for decoration. Those stay in, but do not hinder the drying process.

I make my loc jewelry and do sell it. I made it with wire so it stays in securely but is easily removable.

You can use so many different things for your loc decorations.

Looking at my little pile here, I have one sterling silver finger ring from Peru...seriously best place ever.

2 bone beads, one dark and carved and one used to be brown buy has faded...might need to change that one out.

2 toe rings, cool cause they are adjustable.

and 4 of my own design loc jewelry.

Plus about 5-7 small gemstones, carnelian, emerald, turquoise, quartz, amethyst and 2 shells. All sewn in.

If you want to look at my stuff, my website is listed in my profile. Just trying to be considerate about self promotion.

Plus there are some people on here who are making the coolest beads out of tree branches. I love them, but have had funny experiences with the energy from wood. Weird, I know.

Loc Lava
@loc-lava
13 years ago
42 posts

I know it was some people on this site that was making the beads out of tree branches and selling them on etsy. I just did a search there and did not find them. Maybe if you search this site it will come up? They were very cool looking. Also, some people were making beads out of wine corks. Cool idea, just not sure how well it would hold up. I'm sure if you ask around on the site, some one would know.

you are most welcome for the info. My shop is on vacation since I am heading out of town. But you can see pictures on my site listed above. I will be back on in about 10 days or so.

GeorgiaFreeSpirit
@georgiafreespirit
13 years ago
28 posts
some days ill put more beads in than other days. then i do take them out when washing. take the bigger beads out at night when i sleep. all the beads i have i either made or were given to me. i have wraps in my dreads and i dont really worry about molding they seem to dry just fine, so with beads i would think it would be less of an issue cause you can move the bead up or down.
andy macleod
@andy-macleod
13 years ago
15 posts

ive just bought a few on ebay, there never used to be but theres a few really nice ones on there now. but it does take a good bit of searching to find anything good that will fit too :) i just leave them in when washing, but yea i would recommend moving them slightly when drying to allow the hair underneath to dry :)

hope you find some nice ones! peace and love

Andy

Patricia Fox
@patricia-fox
13 years ago
42 posts

Thanks again. I signed up for a notice when your shop is no longer on vacation.

Have fun on vacation!
Loc Lava said:

I know it was some people on this site that was making the beads out of tree branches and selling them on etsy. I just did a search there and did not find them. Maybe if you search this site it will come up? They were very cool looking. Also, some people were making beads out of wine corks. Cool idea, just not sure how well it would hold up. I'm sure if you ask around on the site, some one would know.

you are most welcome for the info. My shop is on vacation since I am heading out of town. But you can see pictures on my site listed above. I will be back on in about 10 days or so.

Patricia Fox
@patricia-fox
13 years ago
42 posts

Thanks Andy!

andy macleod said:

ive just bought a few on ebay, there never used to be but theres a few really nice ones on there now. but it does take a good bit of searching to find anything good that will fit too :) i just leave them in when washing, but yea i would recommend moving them slightly when drying to allow the hair underneath to dry :)

hope you find some nice ones! peace and love

Andy

Dolly
@dolly
13 years ago
49 posts
Hello! I put beads in my hair very early on in the process, and now I can't get them out! Once the locs started looping and bumping, which they did very quickly, I was no longer able to slide the beads off, let alone even move them on the dread! I cracked off several of the ceramic ones, but there are two metal beads that I'm either going to leave on forever, or have to use metal cutters to get off! I like the idea of being able to remove them when the mood strikes, you know? I gather beads and trinkets from everywhere I go, and love natural items like shells and wood or pieces of scarf and fabric, and leather and feathers! Have fun!! :D
Lexz Luv
@lexz-luv
13 years ago
74 posts

I just put my FIRST beads in my dreads last week! I have a shell and some beads my mom gave me. Everything i put in my dreads has to have a meaning to me since it will be there for a longgggg time! I dont think i will ever take my beads out! heres a link with some pics of my beads if you wanna check it out http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/i-just-added-my-first-beads-to

xoxo Lexz

xxMercy
@xxmercy
13 years ago
26 posts
i leave my beads in most of the time. sometimes i get a hair up my butt and i take them out... i have a lot of wraps and i've been told that you can leave those in, but i've been taking them out and putting new ones in just in case.. the only piece i take out everytime i shower is a metal bell that my little sister gave me to tie into my hair, i havent sealed it with anything yet so i'm kinda scared it will rust if i leave it

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form