Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Cutting my hair is seeming unavoidable now.. i need advice.

Austin C
@austin-c
11 years ago
8 posts

Hello to anyone who will read this. i know it is long but any responses to this will beimmenselyappreciated.

so a quick background on me, im 19, southern california college student studying aerospace engineering, so far i have a 3.3 gpa and am doing pretty well in college so far, i have two month old dreads and love them for what they are now, and as many people do, i smoke marijuana. which brings me to why imwritingthis discussion.

Just a few hours ago a police officer and a residentadviserof my college came knocking on my door due to a "faint smell of pot" in the room that they found earlier due to checking the rooms for students during the unexpected fire drill. Of course when they enter the room the focus is completely on me, and i guess rightfully so, as i am in the dreading process and have bob marley posters and other marijuana culture type things up. After a good couple of minutes of them badgering me and weighing the consequences i decided to just give up what i had and take my chances, they would have found it in a search so i just went with it. All i had was a dug out with a one hitter bat and a little ONE GRAM nug. and once i gave up what i had they were completely done with the search. they didnt even check my clean cut looking roommate, or anything else.

The problem in all of this was not the legal action that is going to be taken, the cop didnt give two shits about the pot she found i mean it was only a gram...., she had me flush it and brushed it off because it was such a minor thing. The dormitory that i am living in though will now begin the process where i have to go through and get evaluated and judged on this "crime" ive commited. Their policy, practically zero tolerance, is that even a first time offense EVEN IF MEDICINAL may result in eviction, so far that has been the case for others that have been caught, but i dont know the conditions of their situation. So yeauh. They basically turn your life upside down, and my parents (supportive but not tolerant of pot) are going to be infuriated with me and i honestly fear they will stop helping pay for my schooling if i do get evicted from the dorms.

so as extreme as all of this seems for such a small thing, its just what i have to go through. so my question is...

should i cut off my dreads? they are only two months old and even though it kills me to think of having to cut them already i feel like it is a necessary option. the judging commitee will surely frown upon a person with dreadlocks and a marijuana offense, also a job where i live unless it is a smokeshop will not employ a person with dreads. i really see no other option that to cut my dreads if i want to somehow turn this around for the better,i think having them will definitely negatively affect any jobopportunitiesas well as screw my chances of dodging a bullet and not getting evicted.

ANY advice or thoughts or comments about my situation will be greatly appreciated.

updated by @austin-c: 02/14/15 05:39:43PM
Nicki Herrick
@nicki-herrick
11 years ago
27 posts

Dreads are awesome. And they should be able to stay that way. If you think having dreads will truly cause your world to turn upside down, then maybe it is something to consider. But can you argue your case? If so, dont underestimate yourself. Stand up for yourself. Present some facts. Make them think about it as opposed to just kicking you out.However,dont let it get in the way of your goals either,in my opinion at least. Maybe you could try brushing them out. That would take some effort and definately not feel good, but then you would have the option of putting them back in sooner if you wanted to. I dont know much about brushing them out but ive heard a few success stories, so itmay be worth looking into. And wether or not you decide to keep them, just remember,that while we do become more and more attached to our dreads as time goes on, in the big scheme of things, its just hair.It reallysucks youre going through this. But if you do have to leave, just move to Washington or Colorado where its legal.;)

Good Luck!!!!!!

Derek2
@dreadedhyena
11 years ago
37 posts

Be yourself. Don't waver in the face of confrontation or uncertainty. Have faith, and everything will work out as it should.

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

If you were not convicted of a crime then what action can the college take? If they start to push it, ask for the report of the crime that you are supposed to havecommitted. Since there is none, I don't think they have a leg to stand on. In the meantime, get rid of all the drugparaphernaliafrom your room. Keep it tidy and put books on the desk to make it look like you are a good student. I'm not saying that you are not a good student, but if they want to search your room again, or something along those lines, you want to look like a very productive student and not a pot-head.

You could cut your hair, but I would brush it out as opposed to cutting it all off. If this is the route you choose, condition it well and brush gently from the tips. Spend a long time and break as few hairs as possible. Personally, I would keep the dreads, but you will know what is best.

Naked Naturalist
@naked-naturalist
11 years ago
88 posts

dude i hava mature locks and i have two jobs. i work with exotic animals. and i live in ohio, the country part. people judge you no matter where you go. its all on your determination.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i got qwa better suggestion stop smoking toll u graduate no dreads will not affect your job search at all no they cant descriminate and kick u put for dreads

only for pot\

so tell them u quite and beg to be alowed to stay tell them you will accept testing whatever it takes

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

agree with the others here too u sorta screwed yourself they had no rights to search to begin with

and u absolutely should have no trouble finding jobs

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

ill tell u a funny story i was working outside philly on the main line i took the bus to the 69th street station then a train

so 1 day im at the 69th street terminal waiting to catch a bus home a cop comes up to me asks me do you smoke weed..i say yup but dont have none.. he smiles says its yoir lucky day and hands me a bag and a pipe

he confiscated it from some dumb kids on the train (all clean cut types) he smoked a couple hits with me (still in the station) actualy on the walk bridge over the rtrain tracks

then klet me keep the rest

most cops dont carte if u smoke'

they dont care if u have dreads

they just dont like idiots and troublemakers

when cops ask me if i smoke (i never ever have anything on me to worry about) i just say yup then engage them in conversation

i cant tell u how many times thats resulted in them kicking down some

fbi and vice squad agents too

--
KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

i agree with what she said. all of it! its all up to your mindset.

Lauren Halsall said:

you sound like you've already made up your mind, everybody here is going to be 'pro-dreadlocks' which is reassuring and of course i agree with them i smoke a lot of pot, study and work a good job because the way i see it you shouldn't change to fit in with a certain lifestyle, you will move on from there, you will do well and there will be opportunities in all different places think broadly and ahead.. who gives a shit that you have your hair dreadlocked tie them back and they look smart. just the other day i saw a man, from the front clean shaven hair tied back sharp suit and behind him were feet of dreadlocks down to his ass.. i saw an accountant with a huge pile of red dreads stacked on her head.. a social worker.. one of my friends is an engineer and has a full head.. seriously need to combat this stigma..

However, do you care that much about your hair, does it mean that much to you because i know after cutting once that i'd never ever cut again... Your making them out to be an inconvenience when they shouldn't be.. though yeah, i understand where your coming from.. you can re dread your hair it will grow back and they are only a couple months old so you wouldn't necessarily have to shave anyway but.. whats the difference between a pot-head with shaggy hair and a pot-head with dreads.. i don't think they are going to see it much differently to be honest

amethyst777
@amethyst777
11 years ago
95 posts

Man, that sucks... You shudda never gave it up. From here one remember these 3 words, DENY, DENY, DENY! :)

Like SE said, you can say you smoke, just don't pull it out. I've had similar incidents as SE ...

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form