Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Lazy Crocheter

Sophie Helen Bulbring Robertson
@sophie-helen-bulbring-robertson
11 years ago
13 posts

so I've had my dreads for about two years now, and they are growing strong, they are still firm, no breaks and so forth. i have those funny fluffys that seem to be attracted to dreadlocks but im so ok with that. i wash my hair once a week, or if im lazy, every two weeks.

the problem is, dum dum dum. I am the most lazy crocheter in the world, when i do crochet i do it very carefully, but i only do it like once every 3 months, so when i do, i have a lot of growth and it takes me ages, but it works and all goes well.

I was just wondering, what are other ways i can tighten my dreads? not that this way is failing me, im just sooo lazy and my arms become very sore after hours of doing my hair.

also is the way im maintaining them fine? cause it seems to be fine. . .

updated by @sophie-helen-bulbring-robertson: 02/14/15 11:21:12AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Let them tighten themselves. Crocheting, no matter how gently its done, still does huge amounts of damage. But the damage is on the inside of the lock, so you can't see it just from looking at them on the outside.

Dreadlocks tighten and knot as they grow. If you continuously try to force the roots to tighten, they will thin out and become weaker and weaker. Eventually they can get so thin and broken that they snap under their own weight

11 years ago
13 posts

so what do i do? :( educate me :(

11 years ago
13 posts

so u saying if i dont do anything at all but wash them, they will dread by themselves? that doesnt seem to be happening with my hair, and i havent crocheted for months

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Literally, nothing. Just wash, and continue to not brush. They will tighten by themselves. if they didn't, I'd have 5 inches of locked hair and 3-4 feet of straight hair. Eagle would have 4-5 inches of locked hair and 20 feet of straight hair.

But that's not what happens. If you leave your roots alone, that frizziness and loose hair snags onto new growth and tangles it up into knots. These new knots add to your locks and keep adding over the years.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

never ever crochet ecer let them tightenthemselves but no dreads should ever be as tight as crochet makes them

throw the hook in the trash it will take a very long time to recover from what u did akready

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

It doesn't seem to by happening because it can't right now. Crocheting, just once, delays progress by about 6 months. Doing it over and over can delay progress by years.

Your hair seems to not be locking itself because over the months that you haven't crocheted, your hair is actually starting to try and heal itself. It'll get looser and frizzier for a while. But once it's healed, it will start to knot up and tangle again.

Crocheting, in order to "fix" a problem that doesn't exist, is only delaying theinevitable.

If you stop crocheting for another 6 months, you'll see it start to come together and become true healthy locks

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

it does happen but u got to leave em alone a year you seriusly stunted the development u crochet once and no dreading for 6 months u crochet every 3 months ab=nd can be a year or more to recover

just leave em alobe let them dread its what must be done

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
11 years ago
13 posts

thanks guys, imagine i went on doing this, god, does crocheting make u bald?

so you think it will be about a year till it heals? but my hair growns so fast and there is growth all over the place

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Yes, continuing to crochet will cause baldness. Some see it sooner than others. But it will happen. Over tightening your roots in any way, be it interlocking, twisting, crocheting, or felting, causes a condition called traction alopecia, which leads directly to baldness.

If you can see your scalp in between your sections, that's a sure sign that the condition is setting in.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form