Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Crazy dreads

lexggggggggggg
@alexis-gradante
11 years ago
3 posts
I have had my dreads for a little over two months now... Using the rip and twist method and my dreadlocks are going insane. They all have tons of loops and there are some pieces of my hair that just will NOT dread. They keep falling out completely. What can I do to tame the loops? Should I crochet them? Will they disappear naturally? And how do I get these stubborn pieces of hair to dread? I am beginning to get so frustrated. Please help.
updated by @alexis-gradante: 01/13/15 09:53:23PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

your at 2 months

no crochet is evil u never ever ever ewver ever even want to concider crocheting dreads

loops are nesacary and most will go awy on thier own

the parts not dreaded need more time

your at 2 months

things will get crazier b4 they settle down

just leave em alone

if they arent looping they arent dreading

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Yep, like Soaring Eagle said. When you T&R, you are only making the blueprints to your dreads, they are not the actual mature dreads. They will loop and shrink, becoming the thickness of where the section meets the scalp. Maybe reading a post I made will help you to understand the changes that will come: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/just-starting-out-what-to-expect

Besides the long term damage & weakness that crochet hooks do, they set back the maturing process 6 months at least, so be patient....peace

Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts

We are probably on the same timeline here. I started my dreads in March. I am having these same problems.Everyone told me that I should be washing my dreads every few days rather than once every two weeks like I was doing. I can say this, since I started washing my dreads more often they have started dreading faster and I don't have as many issues with loose hairs in the sections that have taken off. Also, I went through and got my problem areas. I took and gathered some of the loose hairs and wrapped them around the nearest dread and put a bead on it. That way it stayed where I wanted it and will eventually form into the dread. I don't know how the experts will tell you to do it but this is what I did and it help me to not become as overwhelmed and frustrated. Also like soaring eagle said, leaving them alone will work to. Keep them clean, leave them down and let them be. I like to shake my hair around at least once or twice a day to make sure that I incorporate a good amount of movement into them. I'm a worry-er to though so I try to do everything logically possible to help them along without slowing them down.

lexggggggggggg
@alexis-gradante
11 years ago
3 posts
Thank you everyone! I feel much better about my dread journey and all of your advice definitely lifted my spirits!
Kerry LoCo
@kerry-loco
11 years ago
46 posts

You've received some excellent advice. I'm at a little over 3 months and some of my loops are insane. there is one on a dread at the back of my head that feels like a Celtic knot! This is an excellent site for questions and support.

:-)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form