Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Questions

Diego
@diego
11 years ago
16 posts

Ok so before growing my dreadlocks I want to clear some doubts. What can I use to clean them? I'm already aware of the baking soda method and the besan method which both seem to be very effective. But, for example, is it ok to wash them with coconut soap? I've got a friend that uses it, but I'm not sure if it's healthy for his dreads. What are the ingredients that my shampoo or soap bar shouldn't have? In my country I don't have access to Dr. Bronner's or dreadheadhq soaps/shampoos, so I want to know some alternatives.
Just so you know, I'm going TnR and my hair isn't african.

updated by @diego: 01/13/15 09:52:24PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

coconuts too condittioning dreadheadhq is too damn toxic

www,dreadlockshampoo.com is by far best ands ships anywhere bronners can be fi=ound in any country but wont work in hard water

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Diego
@diego
11 years ago
16 posts

Well, I haven't seen any bronner's product around here, but I'll keep searching just to be sure. Yes, I can order products from dreadlockshampoo, but the shipping cost is pretty high for me. I'll try it anyway but as I said, I want to know some alternatives that are easier for me to obtain. So, I'll find out what is that coconut soap made of, but if you're saying it's too conditioning, may be I shouldn't even try it. Is glycerin good or bad for dreads? I also know a place where they sell handmade soaps made of herbs, medicinal plants, seeds and essential and natural oils. They are actually made for skin, and it sounds like they're too conditioning as well, but Idk. Here you can see the pictures and what they are made of (in spanish) http://www.jabonesgaia.com/productos.php What do you think?
Thanks for the answers!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Diego. At the top of the site is a tab that says members, click on that and then the new page will have small white tabs with one saying shampoo ingredients experts . Send the ingredients to them and they will be able to help you with all your concerns and questions. ...Peace

Diego said:

Well, I haven't seen any bronner's product around here, but I'll keep searching just to be sure. Yes, I can order products from dreadlockshampoo, but the shipping cost is pretty high for me. I'll try it anyway but as I said, I want to know some alternatives that are easier for me to obtain. So, I'll find out what is that coconut soap made of, but if you're saying it's too conditioning, may be I shouldn't even try it. Is glycerin good or bad for dreads? I also know a place where they sell handmade soaps made of herbs, medicinal plants, seeds and essential and natural oils. They are actually made for skin, and it sounds like they're too conditioning as well, but Idk. Here you can see the pictures and what they are made of (in spanish) http://www.jabonesgaia.com/productos.php What do you think?
Thanks for the answers!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I am not sure what type of water you have in Uruguay, but Dr. Bronners does not work good at all in hard water. It leaves behind a residue in the dreads. Hopefully you have softer water, I don't, so my choices are limited...yep, let the shampoo experts help you out, if you know your water type, let them know that too...peace

Diego
@diego
11 years ago
16 posts

Hi Barrellady, here in Uruguay we have soft water. I'll ask the shampoo experts like you recommended, thank you very much. dreadlockshampoo also work in soft water right?

Since I started a discussion, I want to clear another doubt. I love sports and one of my favourites is swimming. I swim since I was a baby, now I do it like 3 times a week in a pool. Do you know if the products they put in the pool water like chlorine will damage my dreads? Should I also ask this to the shampoo ingredients experts?
Thanks all of you for helping me! I appreciate it.

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

yes pool water is pretty crappy for all kinda hair why just dreads. maybe try wearing a shower cap or something while swimming n u'll be fine... coconut oil is indeed very conditioning. glycerine is conditioning too but i had a soap that had glycerine in it. that was the only conditioner that soap had n use of the soap didnt really harm my baby dreads at all though.. i love the baking soda wash. its best for me. besan is a good homemade way of washing hair too.

Diego
@diego
11 years ago
16 posts

Great! thanks for such a complete answer, seems you're a swimmer too! xD

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form