Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting out again - but I have Q's for some experts..

Melinda Thompson
@melinda-thompson
11 years ago
8 posts

So as I stated in my introduction I use to have dreads several years ago for only 6 months because I was misinformed. (you can go there for my full story) Now its time to start over but I have a dilemma. My hair is now to super short! Its about little over 3 inches on top, about 2 inches in the back and only 1 inch on the sides.

I'd like to freeform them, but after seeing the requirements I see I can't. I already wash my hair once a week, and never really comb (just push it over with my hands so the top looks neat).. and my hair still falls straight and flat. They don't naturallyseparate(specially right now since its so short) never have.. so I'd have to go with the next "safest" method, twist and rip I guess.

I'd like advice on how long my hair needs to be to start. I kinda like the idea of a dreaded mohawk, as thats the way my hair has been for the last 8 months, until my sides grow long enough. And also, since my hair is so straight and resilient on doing what it wants no matter how hard I try to do ANYTHING to it...should I go to a salon to get it separated with rubber bands, twist and ripped, and then let it naturally dread after that -- to me it seems like the best solution since its I can't get it to do it naturally.

Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks!
~~Gypsy~~

updated by @melinda-thompson: 01/13/15 09:52:05PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Honestly, with your hair the way it is, the neglect method would be best right now.

All you need to do is stop brushing. Get a dreadlock friendly shampoo and start washing like you've already got them. You won't see much knotting until your hair is about 5 inches long. But if you wanted to use a starter method, you'd need at least 5-6 inches. Any less than that and nothing will hold.

Shorter hair will begin to section itself. As it grows out, it'll start to knot.

Melinda Thompson
@melinda-thompson
11 years ago
8 posts

I don't really brush right now as it is. Just smooth out the top with a flat palm. its short so it doesn't really need much right now.. but I'm liking the idea of starting my dreads from super short hair.. can you imagine all the time spent with them once they reach the middle of my back (my goal is to my waistline).

I've been using Chagrin Valley all natural vegan shampoo for almost 2 years now and its amazing. It leaves my hair somewhat dry feeling (no oily residue, kinda rough to the touch). Do you think it will be good to keep using it?

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I went on the website for Chagrin Valley for a list of their ingredients. Their soaps and shampoos are very moisturizing and include the ingredients of Beeswax & carnauba Wax and many many base oils and butters. Even though soaps and shampoos are natural, they are not all good for dreads at all, This is probably why your hair still falls straight and flat. I once bought a beautiful handmade soap bar at an artisan show, & it was terrible for my dreads. I had to use Neutrogena to get it out. Here is there website with a list of ingredients for you to read: http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/ingredients/baseoils.aspx I am amazed it leaves your hair dry to the touch

There is a product called Biotin which can be found in health food stores and drug stores in the vitamin health section for less than $10. This promotes hair and nail growth, in 3 months you will see a difference. Take 6000mcg daily, if you can't find the stronger dose, take more of the pills. I have 1000mcg and take 6 pills a day now, when I run out I will buy the stronger dose at Target.

All hair will dread the neglect way, and will separate, it just all depends what you wash with. ...Peace

Melinda Thompson
@melinda-thompson
11 years ago
8 posts

Thank you sooo much for all your help!! I really appreciate it!!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form