Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads in the Rainforest

Jessica McDermott
@jessica-mcdermott
11 years ago
3 posts

So I'm considering studying abroad in Australia in a year and a half or so. I know its a while from now. The particular site of this program is located in a rainforest in Queensland. My question is do dreads get moldy when you're living in a rainforest for months at a time? Anyone have any experience with this?

updated by @jessica-mcdermott: 01/13/15 09:51:38PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

How cool it that! Your adventure is awe inspiring and I do hope that you are able to do it, consider hard and go for it, it really is a chance in a lifetime. Once you get married and start having kids options like this don't come around. Be young and be adventurous! I have never had the privilege to visit a rainforest, (only the Rainforest Cafe' and their food sucks), but I can tell you that dreads need to dry out in between getting wet or mold will set in if they are continually wet. The only thing I can think of is making sure that when the rain is hitting your head, the dreads are covered up. I once saw a website that has bathing caps for dreads, maybe something to look into. Due to the canopy of the trees, they water may not always be landing on the ground getting you wet, so you won't always have to have your dreads covered up.

I hope that if you go, you will post a travel journal and pics on here to share your rainforest adventure with us, we would love to see them....Peace

Jessica McDermott
@jessica-mcdermott
11 years ago
3 posts

Thanks for your input! If I do go, I'll be certain to share plenty of stories and pics :) I'll have to check out those dread bathing caps, they could probably be pretty useful. I was also concerned about the constant humidity. Do you think that'd be enough to cause mold to grow?

the Barrellady said:

How cool it that! Your adventure is awe inspiring and I do hope that you are able to do it, consider hard and go for it, it really is a chance in a lifetime. Once you get married and start having kids options like this don't come around. Be young and be adventurous! I have never had the privilege to visit a rainforest, (only the Rainforest Cafe' and their food sucks), but I can tell you that dreads need to dry out in between getting wet or mold will set in if they are continually wet. The only thing I can think of is making sure that when the rain is hitting your head, the dreads are covered up. I once saw a website that has bathing caps for dreads, maybe something to look into. Due to the canopy of the trees, they water may not always be landing on the ground getting you wet, so you won't always have to have your dreads covered up.

I hope that if you go, you will post a travel journal and pics on here to share your rainforest adventure with us, we would love to see them....Peace

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I will let Soaring Eagle answer the humidity question, that I don't know...Peace

Jessica McDermott said:

Thanks for your input! If I do go, I'll be certain to share plenty of stories and pics :) I'll have to check out those dread bathing caps, they could probably be pretty useful. I was also concerned about the constant humidity. Do you think that'd be enough to cause mold to grow?

the Barrellady said:

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

If life is lived in balance and believe me i'm a live in the bush fanatic, just make sure when you have been in the rain or had a few humid days just go out in the sun and lay near a river bank by some rocks and 'sun' your dreadies. How can rain that makes the earth smell so sweet and pure make anything go mouldy, its only what is mixed withthat water that can do so. I'm so sure when my kids r grown that i will be out there smwhere deep in the New Zealand bush in a tiny wooden hut by myself, my hubby has already built my hut!! I'll get some pics of it here soon. It has a tin roof so i can hear the rain and is made with half rounds of logs, thats all it takes to set yourself up for the simplistic life in the woods, because thats what its all about, simplicity, thats what Dreads r about, thats why they r so spiritual. In our woods or forest we have pungas that r 25 mitres high, some r not and some ferns just cover the ground andgive birth to these tiny red berries, there is tiny tiny blue toadstills that you would almost feel that a goblin is going to pop out from behind, i have even seen these brightest red toadstills amongst the green green moss and yellow green lichen. From the minature world of rocks dapled in red dots from some sort of a fungus to ancient giants of black beech trees with tiny sparkling leave that r almost silver after the rains, there u see the fantails swoop to greet you and land at your feet, not to mention smtimes on your feet! They r so tame as they come towisper the secrets of their survival and it is there that you hear the melacholic calls of the bells bird. Yes if you make this descision to live in the woods and really become a part of its call to its simplistic yet vibrant energy, there wil never never be a dull moment.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

wow

i so want to live there that way

well what barelady suggested was right on but if your gonna try covdering to keep dry make sure u do b4 they get damp

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts
Yes, before they get wet, wwell said SE. soaring eagle said:

wow

i so want to live there that way

well what barelady suggested was right on but if your gonna try covdering to keep dry make sure u do b4 they get damp

Jessica McDermott
@jessica-mcdermott
11 years ago
3 posts

Thank so much :) I'll make sure to take extra good care of my dreadies when I go. I definitely wanna have a good supply of tea tree oil. A blow dryer might be a good idea also. I'm not entirely sure which semester I'll go for, but I'll have to check which is the dryer season.

Justin said:

I only have experience with tropical rainforests but the information should help whether tropical or temperate. The humidity is going to make your locks damp right from the start so I would eliminate the thought of covering them with anything.

Even rainforests have seasons so try to find out if you will be there during the wettest time of year or not. If it is rainy or green season, you are going to have more of a struggle. Regardless of when you go, the only real steps you can take are to wash more frequently if you are afraid they might be getting moldy and get them into direct sunlight and wind as often as possible.

I personally will switch back to BS/ACV with oils for washing when in these areas as the oils help fight off the mold spores better. That being said, I've been in Costa Rica's rainforest for extended periods when it rains and even straight, non-dreaded hair will mold if left to it's own devices. You just have to smell and wash more often and hope for the sun to make an appearance.

Have a great time on your adventure.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Rainforest and blow dryer, never thought I would hear these words together.

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I would consider Vicki's mold treatment, from dreadlockshampoo.com. I believe it is being trialed at the moment? Queensland has tropical and sub-tropical rainforest. There are heaps of dreads in tropical Queensland, go for it, you will have only minimal issues, nothing you cannot deal with. I lived in the sub-tropics in Queensland for years with really large dreads, just make sure they are dry as often as possible. Enjoy!

peace and blessings

tim

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form