Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Where Can One Find Realistic Dreadlock Wigs (For One Who's Bald and Hates It)

Skeeter Sanders
@skeeter-sanders
11 years ago
7 posts

This is a somewhat sensitive topic for me. I lost most of my natural hair in an industrial accident more than 20 years ago and have worn wigs ever since. Ten years ago, I decided to wear a dreadlock wig, as I've always loved long hair (I came of age back during the heyday of the "flower children" of the late '60s and early '70s) and being of mixed African-American and Native American descent, I knew that a dread wig would be the most natural-appearing for me.

Now that this "child of the '60s" is on the cusp of entering my own 60s -- and my presentfauxlocks are well past their prime after wearing them every day for four years -- I'm in need of replacing them. The challenge is finding a replacement dreadlock wig that doesn't obviously look fake (and also sports a "touch of grey" so that I look closer to my age).

Any assistance you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

-- Skeeter

updated by @skeeter-sanders: 02/14/15 09:30:35AM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Welcome Skeeter. For members to help you find the best dreadlock wig, are you Caucasian or African American?

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

What about using the web and looking up wig makers in Hollywood CA. I would think you could latch on to one that makes wigs for the movies. Have you tried this route already? (let them know it is not for costume)

try googling Erwin Kupitz, Wigmaker he does hollywood movies

Peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

how did u lose it in the accident ..is there no hope at all for regrowth/

id recomend u consult with panterra on here ..

theres a discussion somewhere about donating locks to cancer patients i know it gets reasonble trafic of ppl plooking to donate but the ppl that started it to take donations and crete the wigs have sota been unreachable (that i know of) so i would try contacting them by email and at the same time post a request fpr donated locks in that discussion

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Skeeter Sanders
@skeeter-sanders
11 years ago
7 posts

Chemical spill . . . The chemicals destroyed the follicles. After more than 20 years -- and now that I'm entering my 60s -- there's no chance that they'll grow back.

soaring eagle said:

how did u lose it in the accident ..is there no hope at all for regrowth/

id recomend u consult with panterra on here ..

theres a discussion somewhere about donating locks to cancer patients i know it gets reasonble trafic of ppl plooking to donate but the ppl that started it to take donations and crete the wigs have sota been unreachable (that i know of) so i would try contacting them by email and at the same time post a request fpr donated locks in that discussion

Skeeter Sanders
@skeeter-sanders
11 years ago
7 posts

I'm mixed African American (through my Louisiana-born Creole mother) and Native American (through my Carolina-born Cherokee father). But for appearances' sake, I identify primarily as African American.

the Barrellady said:

Welcome Skeeter. For members to help you find the best dreadlock wig, are you Caucasian or African American?

Skeeter Sanders
@skeeter-sanders
11 years ago
7 posts

Thanks, but I don't think I can afford the Hollywood prices.

-- Skeeter

the Barrellady said:

What about using the web and looking up wig makers in Hollywood CA. I would think you could latch on to one that makes wigs for the movies. Have you tried this route already? (let them know it is not for costume)

Peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

can you grow a beard and let that dread?

at least u didnt end up with brain caancer!

why canyt you afford holiwood prices u should have been able to sue them for a hell of alot

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Skeeter Sanders
@skeeter-sanders
11 years ago
7 posts

The accident occurred in San Francisco on October 17, 1989 -- during the Loma Prieta Earthquake. I was working in the photo darkroom of a local newspaper developing pictures when the quake struck. I fell to the floor and one of the developer pans toppled over and spilled onto my head. I didn't feel any burning sensation and was otherwise unhurt, but I was taken to San Francisco General Hospital.Within hours after the spill, my hair started falling out.

There was no way I could have sued anybody over an accident caused by an "act of God." But the newspaper did compensate me -- to the tune of $5,000.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Some wealthy people, artisans, professionals etc.., out of the goodness of their hearts, will help out someone that has a story, and you certainly would be that person. I know of denture clinics that will help out financially impaired young people who have lost their teeth or need them all pulled, they will do the dentures for free or a very reduced rate. It is a life changer for the customer and a good feeling for the professional. Who knows, may be worth a try???

I like Soaring Eagles idea of a dreaded beard. My husband is completely bald and I find him very sexy and handsome. Maybe time for dreads there?

Skeeter Sanders said:

Thanks, but I don't think I can afford the Hollywood prices.

-- Skeeter

the Barrellady said:

Peace

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form