Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads look grey after washing my hair with baking soda??

Dez Flint
@dez-flint
11 years ago
36 posts

lol man, I time and time again keep having problems with my dreads, I thought this was going to be easy lol! Well anyways, I went ahead and washed my hair tonight. I used a 1/3 baking soda, 10 drops of tea tree oil, 10 drops of island oil and a gallon of water. I mixed that bad boy up until the there were no more baking soda to be seen and I took a shower, ran the mixture throughout my whole hair/head and cleaned my scalp while letting the water run. I started ringing out my dreads (like you ring out a towel) and noticed how much brown stuff (which I can only assume was dirt) came off my dreads. Anyways so far so good and everything and once I get out of the shower I look in the mirror and my dreads look kinda grey. I go back into the shower (cold water mind you) and try to get this stuff out but nothing! Is this suppose to happen? How do I get it out?

updated by @dez-flint: 02/14/15 08:32:00AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

ok 1st off ..whats island oil

2nd u saifd how much bs but not how much water

3rd u didnt say how liong u soaked or anytghing

there shiuldnt be duirt coming out when your wringing them out cause it all should come out when rinsing

it sounds like u didnt mix the right ammounts

u didnt soak long enough

u didnt rinse enough

and..u didnt use acv

so lets backtrack and get more detailed

just to be sure

the bs should be 1/10th if the water vi]olume

1/2 a cup to every 5 cups

you shoulsd pour it over yoir head then soak 10 min i think u said ypu stayed under the riunning water so were rinsing it out b4 it did any good?

after u soak 10 min to 20 min then u rinse

after u rinse u mu=ix about 2 tablespoons acv (or 1/2 a cup idf mature dreads) in 5 cups water

pour on

if young dreads rince rigyt away..if mature soak 3 min then rinse

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

oh wait u did say a gallin

16 cups to a gallon so that should be slightly over 1 1/2 cups bs

--
Dez Flint
@dez-flint
11 years ago
36 posts

Aww, I don't have the ACV. I used 1 gallon of water with the mixture. I honestly wasn't counting when I had the baking soda in. So I pretty much messed up? How do I fix it now?

soaring eagle said:

there shiuldnt be duirt coming out when your wringing them out cause it all should come out when rinsing

u didnt soak long enough

u didnt rinse enough

and..u didnt use acv

just to be sure

you shoulsd pour it over yoir head then soak 10 min i think u said ypu stayed under the riunning water so were rinsing it out b4 it did any good?

after u rinse u mu=ix about 2 tablespoons acv (or 1/2 a cup idf mature dreads) in 5 cups water

pour on

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Do you mean 1/3 cup BS? If so, that's way too little. You should be using 1/2 cup in 5 cups of water. 1 gallon is 16 cups. So you should be using 1 1/2 cups BS in 1 gallon.

By only using 1/3 cup BS in that much water, you aren't fully cleaning your scalp. The BS only gets a chance to start exfoliating, but can't finish. That will leave you with dirt, gunk and sebum stuck in your hair. It's good that you see some dirt wash out, but there is still more there. That could be what you are seeing.

Dez Flint
@dez-flint
11 years ago
36 posts

Oh yeah, island oil has mineral oil, casor oil (ricinus commonis seed oil), carrot oil (Daucus Carota Sativa Seed oil), Jajaba Oil (Simmondsia Seed oil), Olive Oil (Olea Europaea Oil), Tea Tree Oil

Dez Flint said:

Aww, I don't have the ACV. I used 1 gallon of water with the mixture. I honestly wasn't counting when I had the baking soda in. So I pretty much messed up? How do I fix it now?

soaring eagle said:

u didnt soak long enough

u didnt rinse enough

and..u didnt use acv

just to be sure

pour on

Dez Flint
@dez-flint
11 years ago
36 posts

Aww, really? I just quickly looked up the measurements online so I just threw the stuff together... Back to the drawing board...

Baba Fats said:

Do you mean 1/3 cup BS? If so, that's way too little. You should be using 1/2 cup in 5 cups of water. 1 gallon is 16 cups. So you should be using 1 1/2 cups BS in 1 gallon.

By only using 1/3 cup BS in that much water, you aren't fully cleaning your scalp. The BS only gets a chance to start exfoliating, but can't finish. That will leave you with dirt, gunk and sebum stuck in your hair. It's good that you see some dirt wash out, but there is still more there. That could be what you are seeing.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

If you mix the right amounts next time, you should be able to clean out the dirt and gunk that was left behind in the last wash. You could even make the BS mixture a tad stronger than normal. Be careful to make sure you don't add so much extra that it doesn't dissolve any more. Mix the right ratio and then add small amounts more and shake to dissolve.

Before you do that, is the grey stuff on your locks, dusty feeling? Or is it gooey?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

and get some acv

--
Dez Flint
@dez-flint
11 years ago
36 posts

It feels gooey but as I am drying it my hair doesn't look as grey as when it did when it was wet. So should I wash it tomorrow or is that excessive? Thanks for the help!

Baba Fats said:

If you mix the right amounts next time, you should be able to clean out the dirt and gunk that was left behind in the last wash. You could even make the BS mixture a tad stronger than normal. Be careful to make sure you don't add so much extra that it doesn't dissolve any more. Mix the right ratio and then add small amounts more and shake to dissolve.

Before you do that, is the grey stuff on your locks, dusty feeling? Or is it gooey?

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form