Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

help with dreadlock accelerators?

OliviaJonas Aley
@oliviajonas-aley
11 years ago
30 posts

greetings! It is approaching my 3 month mark with my t&r to neglect dreads. About half of my sections have come undone (still trying to be very ok with that). The loose sections are mostly all around the middle of my head from ear to ear. The sections that were done here were along the small side, and might have been 1/2" or less at the root. From what I can tell it's the slightly bigger ones that are locking up.

So, my question is...at what point do I make some sort of change? Be it purchasing an accelerator (sea salt has not really helped much), or trying to combine these smaller sections by retwist & rip into a 'lil bit bigger sections. I am somewhat willing to wait another few months, but I feel I need to know when something just isn't going to work for my hair in particular.

updated by @oliviajonas-aley: 01/13/15 09:46:23PM
OliviaJonas Aley
@oliviajonas-aley
11 years ago
30 posts

also, I meant to add that I really don't like buying stuff if I don't need to. I am super cheap. I wondered if anyone had any positive and noticable experience with the pink sea salt spray from dreadlockshampoo.com.

thanks!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

that was just put uop for sale today i have some here somewhere so soon as i find it ill ty it but she said she tested it and her hair got very knotty in just 2 days

yiur just 3 months in thats when starter methods tend to be the loosest so wait it out

ill test the pink sea salt next few days and let u know how well it works

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Olivia. Don't worry, don't worry, don't worry. I am at my 11 month mark and a few of my dreads are still mid way down my back and most are above my shoulders. Some sections have barely dreaded at all, but they will.....so will yours. I also found that the larger sections did form faster, and that's okay, I can wait. Smaller dreads add dimension and variation, it gives more of a natural look. Don't combine because of time, just wait. If you do combine, please keep in mind that the section where it meets the scalp should not be any larger than a 25 cent coin. The larger sizes take longer to dry and are heavier as they mature.

As for an accelerator, make sure you are washing 2-3 times a week, it speeds up the dread process

Cheers, & happy dreading

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I should add that when doing the twist & rip method, they need to loosen before they start their journey, so your sections take one step back before dreading. On the other hand, free form/neglect method section on their own and then start to dread/shrink etc., no step back. So T&R take longer. You are only at 3 months and are doing just fine. I found that on mine (I also did T&R), the skinner sections were just made a little tighter than the larger sizes, so that is why they are taking longer to dread...perhaps that is how yours are too. But remember, no worries, they will loosen in time.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form