Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dancing to the Congo beat!! (A question on congo dreads)

Rachel C
@rachel-c
11 years ago
12 posts

Now, I've heard that dreads that fuse together are called congos, and I actually have two of them already. But!! Is there a way to dread a dread into another one by manipulating it, and if so how? The two I have fused together on their own.

I have 2 thinner dreads that are next to each other and are decent in size, but I feel that the dreads themselves will fare better in the long run if they fuse with one another. Also, one of my congo dreads are dreaded at the tip for about 6 inches with a 4 inch gap in between them by the roots. Each individual dread are fairly mature in their dreading process but I would like to have them fuse together instead of leaving a hole in between the two. (I hope this makes sense) My second congo dread is beautiful!

I'll try to post a picture or two later this afternoon to show you what I'm talking about. Thanks for listening :)

Rachel

updated by @rachel-c: 01/13/15 09:44:46PM
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

wrap them together with hemp string. That will encourage congos.

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Please remember that your dreads are still young. Mine shrank and fattened up for almost 2 years. Those smaller dreads may still get thicker. The rule of thumb is that your dreads will thicken up to the size of the section. So if those 2 smaller ones are in a 1 inch section each, the congo could fatten up to 2 inches. Thick dreads are harder to manage, They weigh more and take longer to dry, which can encourage mold and mildew. Just something to keep in mind.

Doogie
@doogie
11 years ago
321 posts
Wrap them together or put a bead on.
Rachel C
@rachel-c
11 years ago
12 posts

Thank you Taye! I've actually had my dreads for a little over a year now (yay) and I have lost quite a bit of length and added a bit of volume to most of them. On thickness, I would say most of them fall between the 3/4" - 1 1/2" range, I have one that is definitely 2 "+ and a few others that are fairly small in comparison.

As for the two dreads I want to fuse together, they are closer to about 1/2 " to 3/4" per section, so I'm anticipating it'll be around 1 1/2 inches once fully fused together. But! I will definitely keep that mind. I would hate to have my dreads get all gunked up with mildew and mold. Ew!

And to Doogie, I have a few newer dreads being held together with beads but they're really tiny. So I may see if I can fuse those to another dread near by. We'll see what happens =)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

wouldnt congo them then if they are already that thck

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Rachel C
@rachel-c
11 years ago
12 posts

Hey soaring eagle, I'm honestly worried about the root of one of the dreads since it's thins out the closer it gets to my head. There's a decent amount of strands still there, so I don't think it would rip out, but I'm just worried about it's longevity is all, hence why I'm considering trying to dread it with another dread.

But here's some photo's of my dreads at the moment,

1.) congo with the gap, I guess it's not as big as it used to be, I remember being able to run my fingers down through it quite a bit. These ones decided to fuse together on their own
2.) the dread I'm worried about, especially since it's thinner than my fingers haha

Rachel C
@rachel-c
11 years ago
12 posts

Oh and here's a recent pick of me in the front. A few lose hairs but it seems that they're dreading nicely on their own :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form