Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What the hell is in my hair?

Sunflower
@sunflower
11 years ago
95 posts

Today I spotted some white spots in my hair, and so decided to see how much and what the hell it was. I'm still wondering...

The white spots are in all of my dreads me and my boyfriend gently opened the insides of a few, and fully opened one to try figure out what it is. The things basically look like little white feathers, but when we remove it from my dread (along with quite a lot of hair which comes out) it becomes sticky! EW! its not lice, we checked. In the places which feel extremely sticky its also quite stiff..

I use the dreadlock shampoo bars and my hair in general is forming dreadlocks extremely fast, could it be that the something she uses to make them is leaving a kind of glue? I love the bars, and I think I'm the first to have an issue with them..

any help would be great... I really dont want sticky hair nor do I want white crap all inside my locks.. I'm only a month in and didnt have such an issue last time

we tried making photos, but couldn't really see anything in them

No wax used and natural method

updated by @sunflower: 02/14/15 08:32:00AM
Melony
@melony
11 years ago
45 posts

Do you think it could be lint?

jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

ooo maybe mold? or thick lint hmmm have too see it take a good close up picture to edit this dissussion to add too. have bf take good photo well lit room. if mold need to take care of it right away!!! ask SE! soaring eagle. creator and master dred of this site:) goodluck do updated ur post to tell us wats up and wat happend ok peace be with you.

Cole Morton
@cole-morton
11 years ago
109 posts

How often are you washing with the bars and how do you let your hair dry? I'm with Jazzymamma on this one, it could be mildew/mold....a solvable problem at 1 month in. Lint is also a good guess.

Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

& when you wash with the bars are you lathering only the scalp or are you trying to lather it into the dreads themselves? I've heard a few people have issues with residue from different bar types because they were scrubbing it into the dreads directly & it wouldn't rinse back out.

Joey5
@joey5
11 years ago
83 posts
I get residue from the dreadlockshampoo bars too. They make my dreads look grey and dirty when they dry. Im using neutrogena antiresidue shampoo once a week and switching between the bar and bs/acv for the other washes. Its quite bummer. But every thing i use either leaves residue or is too strong and drying.
Joey5
@joey5
11 years ago
83 posts
Dont get me wrong, i love how Clean the bars make my scalp feel. Just dont work for me.
Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

Just a quick note, neutrogena antiresidue is extremely toxic, only to be used once or twice a year, if at all. peace.

Joey said:

I get residue from the dreadlockshampoo bars too. They make my dreads look grey and dirty when they dry. Im using neutrogena antiresidue shampoo once a week and switching between the bar and bs/acv for the other washes. Its quite bummer. But every thing i use either leaves residue or is too strong and drying.
Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I don't see how it could be mold, not in one month old dreads. Does it stink? If not it is not mold. I don't see how it could be residue from the bars, they wash out so easily. Does it smell like the shampoo, this sticky substance? Because the only way it could be sticky shampoo is if it was shampoo that had not even lathered. It must be something else.

Sunflower
@sunflower
11 years ago
95 posts

It doesn't stink or smell like the shampoo, it has no smell at all, and I wash my hair 3 times a week. Lather it on my scalp and into the dreads. I blow dry my hair because its so cold at the moment so I dont want to get sick. I truly doubt its mold since they are so young... and it's not lint. I'll try make another photo. Thanks guys!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form