Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting Dreads

Jade Berry
@jade-berry
11 years ago
2 posts

I'd wanted dreads for years when i finally managed to get them started. I walked up to a girl with really, really nice dreadlocks and asked her how she got them. She told me this woman had done them and was really good and reasonably priced also. I got her number met the lady and let her do my dreads. She backcombed my hair and wrapped them in a kind of thread. This I had never heard of but went with it. My hair did lock up but the thread was annoying and my hair was constantly a mess. my dreads were 98% loops. I wasn't one hundred percent happy but the lady insisted I would have the dreadlocks i wanted. I want my second set for keeps and was thinking of going to her again as not brave enough to go it alone and do it myself incase i screw up. What do I do?

updated by @jade-berry: 01/13/15 09:44:38PM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

The braided method. You would probably be further along if you had just TnR'd them. I don't know what you should do. Sorry, I'm no real help :( Hope it works out for you.

Jade Berry
@jade-berry
11 years ago
2 posts

Thanks for commenting, at least i know what the method is called now. really i just want a method that will get me awesome dreads and preferably not a knotty mess :)

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

To get dreads you have to go through the knotty mess stage. In fact, you never really leave. The knots just get more compact. I don't want to push you out of the method you're using, but if I were you I would probably start over. But don't take my word. Wait for others. I have no experience with how these type of dreads form and eventually look. But my guess is that they take a lot longer than other methods. Dreads need to be loose before they can tighten and lock.

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Just look at the recent pics on my page. They're mostly loose, but they are fasttightening.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome never go to a salon just let them dread its so simple stop combing and it dreads or use tnr then klet them dread

dreades should never cost a cen t they are as easy as not preventi g them

wash and seperate..thats all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cole Morton
@cole-morton
11 years ago
109 posts

I agree!! You will learn to love the loops and bumps, becoming fond of each one. That is why I refer to this as my Patient Journey. They take time to grow, knott, and mature. They will find their own path and become more than you could ever imagine. Good luck to you and happy dreading

Umi Love
@umi-love
11 years ago
1 posts

Hey, I have natural hair( no chemicals) and say 4c type and been that way for over ten years now. I'm thinking seriously about dreads and have every natural products I make myself. My thing is that I'm very weary about the beeswax if it should be used or not. I'm leaning more towards the aloe vera method. Let me know which is best before I start and what ever suggestion I need to know about, I'm open to all, I'd greatly appreciate it!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no wax ever aloes ok on african hair to moisturize u want no products at all except the moisture u need to prevent over drying thats all wax is pure evil in drrads and its a scam

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form