Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How should I care for my new dreads?

Alora
@alora
11 years ago
11 posts

Ive had them for about a week now and some of the sites say to just leave them alone for a couple of weeks, other sites say to wash your hair every 3 to 4 days. My scalp and the dreads are getting pretty oily and i don't know if i should wash them or just leave them. Also what kind of shampoo or other type of products should i use to get better results? And if you have any other tips it would be much appreciated :) thank you

updated by @alora: 01/13/15 09:44:24PM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

I see you backcombed. Did you use wax? You should be able to wash 3 times a week. But if you used wax you have to remove it immediately or it can rot the inside of the dread.

Alora
@alora
11 years ago
11 posts

I didn't use wax. i heard it was really bad to use ondreads. I'm weary to wash them though...I feel like they're going to fall out.

Adam Kelly said:

I see you backcombed. Did you use wax? You should be able to wash 3 times a week. But if you used wax you have to remove it immediately or it can rot the inside of the dread.

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Oh yeah, and they probably will. It's totally normal. Just let them do their thing. They will lock back up by themselves. What size sections did you use? Were they all square and perfect?

Alora
@alora
11 years ago
11 posts

I honestly don't know. My hair has always just kinda dreaded up on its own. It sectioned itself out, i just took the sections and backcombed them. i finally decided to just go with the dreads since my hair is so rebellious to a brush anyways.

Adam Kelly said:

Oh yeah, and they probably will. It's totally normal. Just let them do their thing. They will lock back up by themselves. What size sections did you use? Were they all square and perfect?

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Great, you shouldn't have any size issues. Just remember not to rebackcomb or anything. You will just set your hair back to square one. If they completely fall out, let them be. Wash 1-3 times a week and separate when the sections get bigger than 1 square inch or the dreads start to grow together.

Alora
@alora
11 years ago
11 posts

what kind of soap should i use when i wash them?

Adam Kelly said:

Great, you shouldn't have any size issues. Just remember not to rebackcomb or anything. You will just set your hair back to square one. If they completely fall out, let them be. Wash 1-3 times a week and separate when the sections get bigger than 1 square inch or the dreads start to grow together.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Alora, don't be using soap right now, use Baking Soda mixed with water, The recipe for this is found under the dreaducation tab. The baking soda will clean the scalp and is a way to clean without rubbing the hair. To grow dreads with no products in them, which is the only way to go, they musts loosen up if backcombed, then they will start to inch their way higher, part of the process. This takes time, but in the long run you will have beautiful, healthy dreads. Oh yeah, they will turn into the width of the root section at the scalp. Most people do not recommend anything larger than a quarter, they take longer to dry and are heavier the longer they get, tension on the scalp.

Enjoy this site, use the dreaducation tabs and search tabs to answer most of your question. Read, read, read.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form