Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

wrapping the right way

JXhippielovinpeace
@jxhippielovinpeace
11 years ago
23 posts

So, a year and a half ago I had about half my head dreaded for about 6 months. I had wrapped a few of my dreads in wool thread (I think some were wool others were wrapped in embroidery thread). When I took one of the dreads wrapped in thread out , I my hair had turned PITCH black. Now I have VERY blonde hair, so it looked as though I had dyed my hair black. I cut it out right away in fear of it being mold. (as I took the rest of my dreads out, I saw that the others were perfectly clean on the inside).

It's now been a whole month and a half of my new whole head, natural dread journey! (yayay :) I am in it now for the long haul. I think the "dead dread" (the one with black shit in it last year) may have become gross because I wrapped it in wool thread too many times around too tightly(?). Does ANYBODY know what may have caused this and how I can avoid dread/hair damage (or even help) when threading/wrapping?? I would really like to wrap a few in some thread..

(I've seen a bunch of "how to's" online but I have a few questions:

1. what kind of thread?

2. when/how frequently do you rewrap, or take out the wraps?

3. do you take them out to shower?

4. will the soap (non residue, all natural, bar soap/liquid soap I use, alternating) work??

5. any other advice/suggestions?

(6. OH! Any other advice for helping tighten/strengthen weak spots?? My dreads are young yet so I am trying to redo the odd weak spots and nat them as much as I can, patience also being an ingredient but ANY advice I would love to hear!)

If it makes any difference my hair is locking up VERY fast, and I am loving this journey. It is so freeing and yet wonderfully challenging.

:):):)

LOVE AND PEACE (HAPPINESS AND JOY) TO YOUALL <3

the JXist lovin', nature lovin', hippie :)

updated by @jxhippielovinpeace: 01/13/15 09:43:51PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

had u used wax it sounds like buildup maybe bronners maybe wax

wrap in hemp or embroidery thread not wool

washas yiu would yoir dreads

ive left so09me in for 5 + years with no problems at all

dont do a thing to weak spots or u will make them weaker leave em be give em time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
JXhippielovinpeace
@jxhippielovinpeace
11 years ago
23 posts

I used wax then yes. Now I don't at all (not once). I use dr. bronner's (diluted) with water and baking soda (is that bad?? should I switch?

Thank you!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

bronners might causr residue if u have hard water the black gunk was probly wax and sweat and who knows what crap gets stuck in wax'

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

Dread Hair Wrapping

1. Hemp (not "polished", that means coated in wax & will leave behind a sticky black residue like you were talking about) or Embroidery Thread. If you use yarn it should be something that doesn't felt &/or shrink (unless you want it to felt/shrink into your dread but that can cause damages).

2. Usually every few days, sometimes a couple weeks. I've known people who keep them on much longer tho. If you keep them on for an extended period you don't just have to think about washing, your dreads are trying to knot, shrink & form & having a wrap around it can prevent some of that & make a thin or weak spot in a dread. So I just like to keep them moving often.

3. Nope

4. BS/ACV or Dreadlockshampoo has worked fine for me

Sunflower
@sunflower
11 years ago
95 posts

I always have wraps in my hair, which always tend to last around 5 months at most (I only take them out when the hair comes out or they start falling apart) and have never had such an issue.. I use normal embroidery thread (used to make bracelets).

nope shampoo doesnt affect them at all!!

what I have done for weak spots (or areas which are crazy and wont stay contained very well) is put beads since it holds the area :)

JXhippielovinpeace
@jxhippielovinpeace
11 years ago
23 posts

My word. So many replies! Thanks so much everyone!! Much thanks :) and if y'all want to continue to share your wealth please do :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form