Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Questions about roots, ties wraps

Sarah Smile
@sarah-smile
11 years ago
43 posts

Hello dreadies! I've got a couple questions for ya! :)

My dreads are about 5 months old now and they're locking up pretty quickly! As my hair grows, though, there is a lot of loose hair on and around the roots. I started by backcombing, so the new roots (that weren't yet grown in at the time i started) are much looser than the rest of the dreads. It seems like the loose hairs aren't really locking onto my dreads...they're just sticking out all over the place :P

In an attempt to help them tighten, I've put hair ties around the roots of my dreads. This sometimes starts to hurt, though, so I'll take them out. I am constantly playing a game of ping pong... taking out ties and replacing them. Most times when I take the ties out, I end up ripping out hairs that have formed around the ties...causing even more loose hairs. I'm wondering if this is really doing anything to help...I'm guessing probably not.

I'm wondering if anyone does anything to tighten their roots... ? Some people have suggested wrapping my dreads but I don't really know how to go about doing that.

So...how do you guys go about wrapping your dreads, if at all? Are there any other options I should be aware of? :)

Any input helps and is appreciated! Thanks! :)

updated by @sarah-smile: 01/13/15 09:43:36PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

your atr 5 months they aresuposed to be loose let them be loose yoir only causing harm with these bands and tightening the roots now would be a disaster

5 months is way way too early to vbe concerned about roots

4 months is the loosest they will be so 5 your really not suposed to be tight at all

around 8 to 13 months in they tihhten

let them

do nothing

let them tighten themselves

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sarah Smile
@sarah-smile
11 years ago
43 posts

ok, ok, i'll try to be more patient! :P

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Tutorials for dread wrapping can be found on this site. Members have made several videos for just about anything you need, The tabs on the top of the page will help you get there. You are not just pulling out the hair by the roots with those ties, but are also weakening the root system which may cause future problems with strength of the dread. You are entering the hard stage, be strong and enjoy the bizarre ride.

Sarah Smile
@sarah-smile
11 years ago
43 posts

Thanks, I hadn't even realized you could search videos! That should be helpful :)

That's a good point... silly, but, I didn't even think about that (affecting the overall strength in the future). Alright, from today forward...just gonna take a breath and wait it out. :) thanks for the support!

Castaway J
@castaway-j
11 years ago
585 posts

yes ive been gaining more and mroe root length myself. just waiting to see, im assuming some locking or maturing will be taking place soon haha who knows.

Sarah Smile
@sarah-smile
11 years ago
43 posts

:) right there with ya!

Kathryn Mattson
@kathryn-mattson
11 years ago
2 posts

For me, wrapping too early caused the roots to stay loose even longer than they should have. Seriously, I was afraid that the dread eventually would get so heavy that it would just break off where it was loose. Patience has been my biggest lesson to learn from my babehs... but as far as I can tell right meow, it is a crazy worthwhile ride. Try and savor every moment! =D

Sarah Smile
@sarah-smile
11 years ago
43 posts

Thank you so much everyone for all of the advice and encouragement!! So great to be able to learn from other people's experiences :)

can't what to see what these babies are doing tomorrow! :P

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form