Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Alternative method of maitenence?

Boots Electrick
@boots-electrick
11 years ago
9 posts

I don't maintenance my dreads. At all, really. Every once in a while I will crochet one or two, because throughout the time I run my fingers through them I have found literal thin locks of hair omitted from one, which I don't really want scraggly bits of loose hairs (not coming off the dread, just literal hairs I missed while dreading) all around in there.

I do NOT want comments telling me not to crochet. Everyone on this forum is very heavy about natural, but I am not here for the strictly natural method or else I would just leave them alone and not ask questions.

That being said, I would like to hear from anyone who has tried this alternative to crocheting: taking a needle (thin, no hook, nothing to grab hairs with) with a loop of thread on it, and pulling the hair through the thread then through the dread (like using a needle threader). Does anyone know if this does any harm at all? If it does, that's fine, I was just wondering about the extent.

Since a needle is so pointed and small, and hairs are so small, I find it hard to think that you would break any hairs by inserting a needle into your dread unless you have to force it in. In which case...I would think you could get a thinner needle. And, thread is very thin as well. Also, since you're already putting the needle through, would it catch any other hair? It seems like it would have a wedge effect, and just strictly pull the hairs through smoothly unless it was a large quantity.

Thoughts?

updated by @boots-electrick: 01/13/15 09:43:02PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

a dreads so dencely packed it will still do harm not as much as crochet with the hook but still will those lil tuffs og=f hair will dread on their own if u let them u didnt miss them since u never nhad to dread the rest think of those as your naturally formed dreads and let them happen

youd love to watch them form find new babies eery few weeks

they really dont need all that fi=ussing with and thats the best part of dreading is you dont have to do a thing to them

now lets look at this a diferent way say you have some canvass you want to sew you can force a needle though with some effort cause theres spaces between the fibres add a second layer and its twice as hard add 5 layers and you need an industrial strength machine and are likely to break the needkes because although theres spavce beteween they are not all lined up

a dreads a mass of twisting intertwining hairs that fir all practical purposes is si=olid with no space between hairs ..at least none that line up enough to allow anything to pass through

ok heres proof

take a flashlight or lazer pointer..try to shine ot thrpugh a dread

any light come out theother side?

theres no space for light..an infinitly small p[article cant pass through without being blocked by a hair or a thousand hairs

there simply is nothing small enough to pass through harn=mlessly.. maybe when thry invent nanobots a nanobot can weave a hair between tightly packed hairs but till then theres simply no way to put anything through a dread without harm

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

It won't be as damaging as crocheting.

The issue I see is that you have to remember that locks don't grow out of your head in the form they are further down the lock. They still need to grow out as individual hairs. So every few months you'll have new growth that you'll want to sew through. To get the needle through, you'll need to pull the lock taught against your scalp so that there is enough tension and the lock doesn't twist and you end up sticking yourself. Putting this tension on your roots will pull out a few hairs. Maybe only 10 on each lock. In a few months those 10 hair will need to be sewn back through. Eventually you'll have locks that are much fatter towards the tips than they are at the roots because you may not know which lock you need to sew the hairs through. If left alone, you'd never have to sew and would never have to worry about any damage.

Those loose hairs will either get sucked into a lock, on their own. Or they will form new baby locks. Having thin locks like that fills in any gaps in between the fatter ones and gives your hair more volume and personality.

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

Sticking anything through your dreads is going to cause damage. It will actually be adding to the "problem" you are wanting to fix. Loose hair is one thing that comes with having dreads. The dreads we see without loose hair, are a fairly new invention, they are not healthy dreads. The hair on your head protects the scalp from the sun. It should be there. Topiary dreads reveal the scalp.

Its up to you of course.

peace.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form