Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
tiffany rivers
@tiffany-rivers
12 years ago
4 posts

I have dreaded my daughters hair and I don't know what to do about her constant scratching. She is only seven years old and decided that she wanted to have her hair locked like her mom (me)!! I have had my dreads for alomost a year and I am also having a problem with the itching. It anyone could give me some advice it would be great. I also would like to know what we could do about frizzies! We are black by the way, just in case it matters as far as what would work bet with our hair type.

updated by @tiffany-rivers: 02/14/15 04:55:22AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It's cute that she wants her hair to look like yours, but that's one of the problems I have with kids having locks. Kids aren't mature enough to make those kinds of decisions. They can say that they want something, but they don't understand the implications of what they are saying.

Ok. I've ranted. I know my kids will be the same with my locks and tattoos.

Jojoba oil with peppermint oil mixed in a spray bottle will help moisturize her head and the peppermint oil will really cut down on the itchies.

What are you washing her hair with? That can make a big difference? How did you start them for her?

Loose hairs are too be expected in healthy locks. They will always be there, but baby locks just have more of them before they get sucked into surrounded locks.

Do you mean that the locks themselves are fuzzy? Or do you mean there are stray hairs that just haven't formed locks of their own, or gotten sucked into other locks? Fuzzy locks are natural. Even the most mature locks have fuzzies. It dies down in time, but healthy locks that aren't all gunked up with products always have some frizz to them.

ღHippie Loveღ
@hippie-love
12 years ago
80 posts

I agree with Baba Fats as well. 2oz Olive oil in a 15oz spray bottle has always help both for me.

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

And a freezing cold rinse at the end of your wash. Keeps theitchesaway for a good 3 days.

calipark
@calipark
12 years ago
54 posts

^^^ that. ever taken a really really hot shower and gotten out right away? itches for a while.

make sure you rinse her scalp really really well, and dry it well, maybe with a fan from afar or a blow drier if you're short on time. if she is allergic to mildew or mold and happened to reach her scalp it could definitely cause some bad itching, even just mild itching if she's not allergic. im allergic to both and that happened to me i think on the second week after dreading, just from drying my hair being in a room with just an old wet towel from cleaning up a spill. and having circulating air in a room with mildewy or moldy things actually serves to distribute the spores so if you're in doubt make sure her hair is dried in another room or in the sun. at the time i would rinse my hair every day so the longer your hair is wet in that certain environment the more likelihood there is. even damp carpeting or half-full soda cans can do it.

also, built up sweat and bacteria throughout the day can accumulate so rinsing every day the first month is still a good idea if the dreads dry completely.

good luck! the only things to worry about IMO is washing well, rinsing well, and drying in a timely manner like 3 hours TOPS. if you use a fan or blow dryer (fan is best, really hot air is damaging), hit the scalp if need be by directing the air at it by hanging her head. i know all that is kind of excessive but i had a really sensitive scalp at first and it made the difference for me. all that trouble went away as it readjusted...

edit: oh. change her pillow cases more frequently in case there is built up salts/bacteria from sweat or drool. im not kidding you either lol. told you my scalp was really sensitive..

Meijka
@meijka
12 years ago
23 posts

I use rosemary and mint infused shampoo. Both prevent itch and smells so pretty =)

calipark
@calipark
12 years ago
54 posts

omg i just thought of another thing, if her hair is really flat to her scalp throughout the day after sleeping it can stay moist near the scalp because there's less of a chance to dry. and the salt+bacteria+moisture can be irritating. so rinsing and drying puffs up her hair and rinses. AND you can dry her scalp occasionally after she's outside playing /w fan/blowdryer if you notice that's the case..

after her dreads loosen up a bit they'll dry way quicker anyways..

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

just wash more often most african americans especialy those who started dreads in a salon dont wash nearly enough often being told to not even wet the hair for a year then wash only once every month to 6 months

but if u wash every few days you shouldnt itch..when it itches its time to wash

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
calipark
@calipark
12 years ago
54 posts

yeah that's too bad some people don't wash their hair for so long.. obviously doesn't dread so oily and it keeps them going back to get them re-twisted shelling out their money like buying snake oil. and getting traction alopecia and damaged hair in the process. *shakes head*

tiffany rivers
@tiffany-rivers
12 years ago
4 posts

I agree with everything that you said. I thought about that when she asked me to do it. She is very mature and we talked for two weeks about the decision that she was making and the consequnces of that decision and she still wanted to go through with it and we did. She loves it and her hair locked very quickly. I think it was becasue her hair was all natural and had never been relaxed. Her hair looks great!! I started her locks with the two strand twist method. I was washing it with a shampoo that I ordered from knotty boy! I plan to order some of the shampoo on this site when I get paid. Her dreads are fuzzy, the actuall locks. I am also sure that she wants tattoos just like me as well, but that is one that we will certainly wait on!!! lol I am going to try your suggestion and I will let you know how it goes. I plan to post some pics of us as soon as I figure out how! Thanks
Baba Fats said:

It's cute that she wants her hair to look like yours, but that's one of the problems I have with kids having locks. Kids aren't mature enough to make those kinds of decisions. They can say that they want something, but they don't understand the implications of what they are saying.

Ok. I've ranted. I know my kids will be the same with my locks and tattoos.

Jojoba oil with peppermint oil mixed in a spray bottle will help moisturize her head and the peppermint oil will really cut down on the itchies.

What are you washing her hair with? That can make a big difference? How did you start them for her?

Loose hairs are too be expected in healthy locks. They will always be there, but baby locks just have more of them before they get sucked into surrounded locks.

Do you mean that the locks themselves are fuzzy? Or do you mean there are stray hairs that just haven't formed locks of their own, or gotten sucked into other locks? Fuzzy locks are natural. Even the most mature locks have fuzzies. It dies down in time, but healthy locks that aren't all gunked up with products always have some frizz to them.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form