Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Why are my hair wraps SO loose??

Nicki Herrick
@nicki-herrick
12 years ago
27 posts
I put a bunch of hair wraps in the other day and now a few of them are really starting to loosen/unravel towards the end. The knots at the bottom are still very secure, in fact, they won't even move up or down, but the embroidery thread above the knot in the lower half of the hair wrap is beginning to unwrap. I don't understand why. I have a few diff types of wraps in, and I don't kno that I really even did them "properly." I just looked up how to do it on YouTube for dreads and then looked at dready pics for inspiration. I have solid wraps, the ones that look like X's (which seem to hold up the best), and I have one by my face that's just a single spiral down (like half of an X design wrap). This one is coming undone the worst. But it's so secure on the bottom. I don't understand!!! Does anyone have any tips for me?? Please help! I'm getting so frustrated that I can't figure it out!
updated by @nicki-herrick: 01/13/15 09:39:32PM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

how did you start it at the top? did you loop it like in this illustration (also i do it this way in my wrap video if you need a better look at what's going on). i notice the loop like this works better than just trying to knot it there or anything, that starts sliding & loosening quickly. & it could just be your dreads are tightening so anything tied around them will get loose after a little bit. if you have young dreads it might get looser more quickly, now that mine are getting some knottiness happening instead of just straight hair they stay longer than they used to.

updated by @ixchel: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

speed wraps and the x wraps are only temporary at best they will loosen and fall apart fast to make wraps morepermenant they gotta be the fancier knotted macreme type so look up chinese staircase as an example of 1 type iof knotted wrap that cn be modified to dual chinese staircases or if you alternate direction it creartes a ridge or double ridhge they look way better last way longer (5 years compared to a few weeks)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

My question is how do you get them off/out when you don't want them anymore? Just carefully snip them out with scissors?

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts
i've untied some at the bottom & then unwrapped them that way, or just clipped the knot. if they are getting hairs wrapped around the strings all the way up you may need to break or snip the string again (that's where embroidery thread is easier than hemp to snap). most the time they loosen up before i remove them tho & it's a lot easier that way.& the fancier knotted ones stay way longer than the criss cross ones, but can be more of a pain to remove (in my experience, which is limited so far). & it can keep your dread thinner in that section where the criss cross allow a bit more change & movements.
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

I've snipped all mine so far. I'm such a spaz tho I'm afraid I'm going to cut a dreadie off lol

sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
I've been thinking about wrapping all my dreads, I still have lots of loose hairs though. Will doing so help the dreading process or hinder it?
Myschyf
@myschyf
12 years ago
115 posts
Ixchel, your pic made me giggle :)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form