Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Need to encourage hair growth&tangling at the roots!

andy macleod
@andy-macleod
12 years ago
15 posts

I hadn't been on here for a while as I've had a busy summer need to update my profile, but I have an emergency! Since I've come back on here I've noticed the new shampoo's etc that are featured. I've been using the baking soda wash for the past 3 years since I discovered how bad the stuff I was using (DreadheadHQ) was, but from what I've read so far this stuff sounds great, I can go back to washing my hair simply! I also like the sound of some of the properties the shampoo's have, so I was wondering if anyone could give me advice of which shampoo's and/or locking gel etc. and maybe other things to try:

I have a bit of loose hair at the roots of my dreads that I want to encourage knotting up. I do clockwise rub about once/twice a week but there are still some sections of loose hair that won't tangle so easily and aren't quite big enough to dread. BUT I also have the unfortunate family history of every man on my mum's side and dad's side of the family being bald in their early 20's, I'm 20 now and have had dreads for 4 1/2 years so I'm terrified of losing them! It's been a stressful summer and since I've come back on here I've been paying more attention to my dreads, and I think my hiar might be thinning! haha any advice would be very welcome, I am trying to come to terms with the looming 'sun-screen on my head' days but I'd like a little longer!

Thanks,

Andy

updated by @andy-macleod: 08/21/21 12:09:09AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

why clockwise rub thats goibg to cause thinnibg and oull hairs right out of the scalkp! stop it

u dont do nothing to encourage them ti dread just let them dread

they do it on their own

leave em alone

let the loose hairs be loose hairs till they wantto be dreads

u will lose dreads and go bald in a hirry if u keep tryungt to fiep-rce then ti be tighter then they want to be

your 4 years in

they are as mature and tight as they will ever be

let go

let them be

they are done

yoir only hurting them by trying to force them to be yhe way yiu think they should be

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
andy macleod
@andy-macleod
12 years ago
15 posts

I should add, I have bought the Tea Tree & Rosemary Shampoo bar for myself (the rosemary encourages growth apparently) and the locking gel to try to see if that will help, and hopefully It'll help me dread my friends hair, tried a few times already using twist and rip but they keep falling out, and the description sounds perfect for her hair!

andy macleod
@andy-macleod
12 years ago
15 posts

alright, damn, I read something on here years ago and just got in the habit :( thank you, is the shampoo still nice though? an acceptable alternative to the baking soda? I have a little dandruff too

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u dont need nothing (gel) for yours just stop tge root rubbing'remember whi si]uggests that? dreadheadhq

so its got to be wrong and destructive

1 member

she went natural (mostu\ly) her huby backcombed tnrs crochetted waxed interlocked and ..root rubbed

the root rubing did the worse harm 1/2 his hair was no longer attached to hid=s head after i[only 4 months

just stop that and yiur fine

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
andy macleod
@andy-macleod
12 years ago
15 posts

yea ok man I get the point I'll stop root rubbing you've made that clear, now all I'm asking is if the shampoo is an ok alternative to the baking soda wash? its gonna be alot less hassle if I can wash in the shower.

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

the shampoo is a good alternative. If you have soft water you can use dr bronners diluted. I just heard about the featured dread soap myself just a couple of weeks ago and haven't tried it yet. I have been using Dr B's on my head for almost 5 years. As body wash for going on 12 years. I won't use anything else now. It's even the one "rainbow" allowed at gatherings I've heard.

Although...I'll probably do a deep clean here soon with the Baking soda and vinegar. I haven't cleaned the dread dreads in a while...and I bet they need it BADLY.

andy macleod
@andy-macleod
12 years ago
15 posts

Cool thank you very much Star Gryphon, suppose I'll just test this shampoo and see what happens and thanks for the recommedations of the other stuff, I'll check that out too!

andy macleod
@andy-macleod
12 years ago
15 posts

Hey everyone, just to let you all know it's only been a month and a half but my dreads are looking better at the roots already. I dont know how much I used to 'clockwise rub' but it was definately stupid, should've continued reading up on maintenance once my dreads had matured. on the plus side I've already been able to tie in some loose hair to the root of my thinnest dread, although the same day the same dread became loose about half way down and has since pulled apart, but the future looks good for it! Thanks everyone :)

Buck
@buck
12 years ago
7 posts

It will be preferable to use herbal shampoo and natural hair oils specially almond oil, coconut oil, and dabur oil for the better hair growth.

Using more cosmetics can affects the hair growth badly so avoiod the cosmetics.

updated by @buck: 07/18/15 02:30:35PM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form