Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Do dreadlocks actually turn hard or stiff?

Arbitrary Person
@arbitrary-person
15 years ago
1 posts
I've been seriously considering getting dreadlocks, finally, after a few years of tossing the idea around and looking up info on the methods, styles, and maintenance of them. I've only recently, however, seen someone mentioning online that their dreads were "rock-hard" through the main length of them. They mentioned it as if it were normal, though I'd not heard of hardened locks before. (This was a white woman, straight blond hair, 4 year old dreads, used KnottyBoy products.) I'd like to know if this is common. I figure they could be hardened from old beeswax, but I'd really like to know for certain, as well as anyone's method for avoiding hard or stiff locks. I really wouldn't want dreads if they'll turn into hard sticks hanging off my head- I'd rather they be tight but mushy and something a man wouldn't -dread- touching in a romantic moment. (ha-ha ;P sorry, couldn't resist!) Or maybe "rock hard" is just a slang phrase about their tightness that I've not heard of- you tell me!Thanks a ton!
updated by @arbitrary-person: 01/13/15 08:29:20PM
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
I have never ever seen hard locks unless that person used lots of wax. Every single person I know who kept the crap out of their hair and kept them clean, has nice soft locks. They do get a bit more rigid than normal soft hair but thats just becasue of the knots. I am sure the rock hard locks are from wax or poor hygiene.My friend dan has had natty locks for like 8 years and his hair is really soft. Its like taking a bunch of soft cotton strings and twisting the all together. They get a little more rgiid but they stay just as soft as they were when they were individual.
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
15 years ago
154 posts
mine arent rock hard. i mean i can bend them and wrap them around things if i wanted to. i mean they are going to be a diffrent texture cuz theyll be matted but it wont be Hard. i mean when it comes to guys though not every guys is going to be okay with a girl with dreads but if a guys just likes u for your hair he aint worth it anyways. and on the flip side ive had alot of boyfriends who loved the fact that i had dreads even when they didnt and nothing is better then dready love. dready couples are the most understanding of eachothers hair. but before you go on this journey i would definately think about how u plan on doing it cuz theres so many ways and dont let anyone talk you out of a way that feels right for you. not only that but some people ignorant to the who dreadlock thing might try to talk u out of it but just remember as many haters there are out there us dready lovers will be here for you too. good luck and make the right choice for you,peace
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
wax will make your dreads feel a little unnaturally hard if used for long amount of time (a few of mine feel strangely more stiff than others where I noticed i waxed the most in the first 3-4months.not like rock hard though, I couldn't imagine how they'd feel if I seriously used that stuff as long as the sellers try to tell you,
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
if waxed then definately canmine are nearly 20 years old and are soft mushy feel sooo nice after washingthey should never get hardthats why johny dirty of dreadheadhq's dreads dont move at all when hes bouncin round tellin u how great wax iswax dreads can stand straight upreal dreads move are soft comfy make great pillows and dont leave ya stickyif u never wax you'll love em a lifetime if u wax they'll be lost in 3-4 years averagebaking soda and acv definately makes em super soft

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form