Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

BAKING SODA: more than just a great shampoo!

Myschyf
@myschyf
12 years ago
115 posts
In a recent post someone asked about using baking soda for toothpaste. That and since starting my dread journey and before I've been getting more and more into using natural products instead of chemicals for my everyday life. Soo... here is what I use baking soda for.(with recipes)Baking soda toothpaste:3 tablespoons baking soda1 tablespoon salt (pref sea salt, any food grade salt will work)1 1/2 tablespoons veg. glycerinenatural food flavoring (peppermint essential oil, vanilla extract, etc.)Mix all ingrediants. Add enough drops of fod flavoring until it's palletable. If too thick, add drops of water until it loosens up to your desired consistancy. To use, you can dole it straight from your lidded container, or better yet, take an old toothpaste container, cut off the end and wash it out. To seal, use tape, binder clip, or a toothpaste key roller like me :)Baking soda deodorant:Equal parts baking soda and cornstarchmix and apply to throughly towel dried pits. The baking soda keeps you not stinky, and the cornstarch absorbs moisture. Now, if you have sensitive skin, you may develop a rash under your arms, if so switch to a different natural deodorant. If you use commercial deodorant you may experiance smell and wetness, this will lessen with time. As with washing your hair less often, your body is overcompensating for the harsh chemicals you are using. It took me a month but now I no longer feel uncomfortably moist and do not smell, and I only apply after showers, usually every other day.Glowing skin face and body scrub:Moisten hands with water, sprinkle enough baking soda on one hand to look powdery but not heavy. Rub hands together and it will feel gritty, but not be white. Rub this gently over arms, legs feet and face to slough off dead skin. Rinse, then rinse or blot with Apple Cider vinegar diluted 10parts water 1 part acv. Then moisturize with jojoba oil or your favorite moisturizer.Super clean clothes:Add 1/2 cup baking soda
updated by @myschyf: 01/13/15 09:34:37PM
Myschyf
@myschyf
12 years ago
115 posts
Super clean clothes:Add 1/2 cup baking soda to each load of laundry, in conjunction with your normal detergent (or 1 cup with no detergent, I don't have many whites, but seems to work good for me)Stink free Kitty Litter:Sprinkle baking soda into your cat littler with each changing, absorbs the ammonia smell.Super clean sinks, counters, appliances and potty's.Moisten and sprinkle baking soda. Let sit 10-30 min. Scrub gently and rinse.Add 1 cup baking soda to your toilet bowl. Mix with toilet scrubber and run mixed water under the rim. Let sit 10-30 min. Scrub and flush for sparkling clean toilet.Dry shampoo:(for the non dreaded community)1 part baking soda2 parts cornstarchSprinkle into hair and let sit 5-10 min. Brush out well with soft bristled brush. Style as normal. The baking soda rids the hair of products, cornstarch absorbs oil.Fresh Carpets:Sprinkle baking soda on carpets, let sit 5-10 min. vacuum.These are just the ones I can think of, but there are tons of more uses.
Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
12 years ago
122 posts
Awesome! I've made my own deo, laundry soap, and dish detergent with BS. I use it to clean, too. :)
HippyFish
@hippyfish
12 years ago
76 posts

Ahhh thanks!I love BS and the scrub is awesome, I've been using it for awhile now.

Can't wait to try the toothpaste!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form