Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Crisis! Missing my hair...

Shade Of Ashes
@shade-of-ashes
12 years ago
78 posts

So, my dreads are two months old and I'm not sure whether it's a phase or not but I am seriously missing my hair... I miss combing it, I miss brushing it, I just miss it. I am seriously considering taking out, combing them out, whichever. Help with opinions and thoughts.

updated by @shade-of-ashes: 02/14/15 04:37:10AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Whoa. It'll pass. I mean, it's really your choice. But many people go through this phase and then in a few weeks want their locks back. Give it another month. You're going through a messy phase right now. And looking in to mirror as a rats nest on your head may be a little disconcerting. It happens and it's a natural feeling. But they are progressing very nicely. In 2 months you'll be going through your messiest phase, but soon after you will see them coming together beautifully.

it's up to you, but I think you should give them at least 1 more month. If, them, you still want to take them out, do it. But be aware, that you might really regret it. And then you will have to start all over. Those 3 months will be gone. Just as you thought about starting them seriously, think long and hard about whether you really want straight hair again. Or if this is just a fleeting moment ofnostalgia

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

take every comb and brush u got and throw em in the trash and wait that way u got to buy a new comb to comb out and give yourself 2 months to think about it b4 u do

dread loss depressions very real and profound if you do comb them out you will feel such a sense of loss you wont feel like you and within a year you will be dreaded again so why interrupt the process and koose al that progress

wait it out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

I originally started dreading in December 2010. I have combed my hair about 5 times since then. In 15 days, my dreads will celebrate their first year of uninterrupted dreading.

What I'm trying to say is that you can comb them out, and then start dreading again if you regret getting rid of them. They are not one of those once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity things, and you can change your mind.

Ofc, I am always for people keeping their dreads, and I advise you to think it through, put down all the pro's and con's, and decide carefully; but it all comes down to this: it is your decision, and even if you do comb them out, and then go back to dreading later on, it is all about you. None of us can ever know exactly how you feel, and you have the right to decide when it is the right time for you to dread and stick with it.

If you don't have bangs, you could comb out a few in the front, sou you would have 'normal' and dreaded hair all at once.

Shade Of Ashes
@shade-of-ashes
12 years ago
78 posts

Those are all very good points... I suppose I have on my side, working for me, is apathy... I am just not looking forward to combing out or spending time doing it... I guess I'll just sit tight and think on it some more. It's kind of hard facing down the stereotypes and assumptions I'm running into, it's hurtful to know someone for years and then have them call you a "dirty hippie." My locks are definitely teaching me about patience, finding beauty on the inside, and toughening my skin against other's prejudices... the emotional journey, I feel, is taking it's toll.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

you will get stronger as time goes by

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lena2
@lena2
12 years ago
14 posts

I went through this phase too. Now I can't imagine not having my dreads. wait it out for another month, definitely. then you can reassess.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Did they call you that in a derogatory way? I call myself a dirty hippie all the time. I'm barefoot almost all the time. I hate showers. I don't smell. But I am a proud dirty hippie.

In time, you'll get more compliments than criticism. And the people who care enough about how you look, will surface. You'll then be in a place to choose whether you still want them as friends. After being bestfriendswith someone for 20 years, I had to stop hanging out with him. Not because of my hair. there were other more important reasons. But It had to be done. You'll see the people pop up who you really want to be around.

Shade Of Ashes
@shade-of-ashes
12 years ago
78 posts

Yes, it was said in a derogatory fashion; but yes, I think true colors are emerging from people as well as myself. Which is a good thing. Thank you all for the support and suggestions; I'm going to wait a month and then reassess. Thank you all. <3

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
Yes! Own the dirty hippie label! I'm actually somewhat famous in my small city for being a barefoot hippy woman. I refer to myself as a dirty hippie all the time. I even introduce myself to some people as such. I enjoy it. If anyone says it in a derogatory way I just laugh and thank them. Its not worth worrying about.The people who truly care about you will adjust. One of my friends hates my barefootedness. Hates it. But she loves me so she makes me natural foot scrubs as gifts and calls me a dirty hippie with a smile. She also continues to go out in public with me even though she finds me mildly embarrassing. Because she's my friend and I am more than my bare feet or my dreads or my hairy armpits. Anyone who can't see past the superficial aspects of who I am isn't worthy of my awesomeness.Anyone who can't see past your dreads isn't worthy of You. Remember that. No one who loves you will let your hair change their opinions or their behaviour towards you.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form