Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

should i be worried?

CiArA
@ciara
12 years ago
25 posts

im 4.5 months in, started with half-A back combing, then tnr, then soon learned they were better left alone :)

im getting ALOT of shrinkage lately, which i've had to come to terms with since i like my hair long. i started with it long, and now have lots of dreds above my shoulders. i've come to accept short hair, only because its for dreds.HOWEVER...ALL of my loops and zig-zaggy dreds are compressing into wads of hair...i mean i guess its normal? i've been looking for other ppl with pics like mine, i've only found a few.

The pics below is what im worried about....i mean its like a flattened ball of hair, attached to my head by a 1-2inch length of root. i dont see how that thing will ever end up being a "normal" dread. i dont want pancake dreds. lol. no thanks. anyone else ever seen this phenomena?

it bothers me to where ive considered combing them all out and starting over. the time lost doesnt bother me, its the end result thats more important to me. if i started over i'd probly do 100% neglect (with separation). but whos to say my hair wouldnt just do the same again....then that would be time lost with no purpose. i know shrink still happens. its jsut the flattened hairball pancake that freaks me out.

on a side note, one of these pics, i used to call that dred my pelican dred...its got a pelican bill/neck looking loop....was easier to see before it started forming a pancake. i love pelicans. :)

oh, and should i worry that my dreads are very flat?!

any comments/ related pics would be so great. thanks everyone!!

updated by @ciara: 01/13/15 09:30:28PM
Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

From what I've seen here, that's not unusual at all. I personally don't have it, but my hair is pretty reluctant to dread, so it might happen someday.

I believe it will end up being mostly round, since I've never seen mature dreads having that shape. But even if that part of the dread does not end up looking 'perfect', they are perfect in their own way. You'll eventually grow to love them the way they are, and the new growth will be rounder.

I would actually love to wake up with things like that on my head. :D

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i had 1 like that i attached a broken earing to to try to keep it that shape cause it was my fave but eventualy the broken earing brome again and fell off and now i cant even remember wich dread that was cause its not like that nbow

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
CiArA
@ciara
12 years ago
25 posts
thanks everyone!
CiArA
@ciara
12 years ago
25 posts
i forgot something... another reason it wouldn't bother me to comb out and start over is my roots. i did tnr but i did sort of random sizes and shapes, which is ok cuz i don't really have sections criss crossing or anything.but I've had some sections re-section themselves, and noticed the other day that some of my root sections are just the "shape" of a line....like an extremely thin rectangle. so besides the dread maturing into some weird shape, I'm mostly worried that there will end up being alot of tension on the roots of it.i mean, a fat rectangle has more strength so to speak...more hair to share the weight of the mature dread. a line shaped one...not so much...I'm scared the matured dread would pop right off my head.so to prevent this...starting over and losing 5 months...doesn't bother me. id just get to enjoy my journey longer :)any advice on this?
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form