Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Advise for a women with longer fine hair...

Ashley Marz
@ashley-marz
12 years ago
7 posts

There are SO many forums on this site that its hard to go through all of them to find the answers to the questions I need. I started my dreads about 2 weeks ago (rnp) I was trying to just leave them so that they could dread on their own but I have really fine hair and every time I washed them with just natural shampoo they would fall out more and more with each wash (washed every 3 days). So till last night I had straight hair all over and just a couple dreads, my friend said enough is enough and rubberbanded them and backcombed them. Some of my problems I have been finding isthat my roots tend to flatten out after I sleep and makes it look like I am balding all over (due to my fine hair, I have a lot of hair just fine). Should I be doing something to prevent this from happening? (any tips from fine hair ladies) would smaller or bigger dread make me look like im not balding? I really love the look of women that have dreads where its loose and volumized at the roots but yet the dreads look still solid and clean through out the rest of the hair...Any tips for these type of dreads? Sorry I am so new to this but I LOVE dreads so any tips would be so helpful on my journey.Namaste!

updated by @ashley-marz: 01/13/15 09:30:28PM
Lena2
@lena2
12 years ago
14 posts

I have really fine blonde hair and started with tnr. I didn't have any experience with mine falling out, so I can't give much advice in that area. All I know is the bs/acv wash really did seem to help it lock up quickly. Also, how often are you washing? I washed once every three days. I would think that if you are washing more frequently than that it my be contributing to them falling out - then again, everyone's hair is different. My advice on sectioning would be not to go larger than an inch on any of them, unless of course you want really thick dreads in the end. I mean really thick. Like I said, my hair is quite fine. My baby dreads looked thin when I first put them in and I let this influence my sectioning of my hair. I sectioned a few of them with the assumption that the thickness of the baby dread would remain the thickness of the mature dread, not taking account the actual section size or the fact that they would fatten up quite a bit. So now I have a couple accidental fatty ones. You may be a little self conscious about scalp showing at first, I definitely had a few "bald" spots. But for me these filled themselves in within a couple weeks. Just be patient, they may not be what you'd like them to at first, but they will happen if you let them.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

just cause its natural dont mean its dread freindly the shampoo u used probly conditioned them out all hair dreads naturaly if treatted properly but get those rubber bands out right away

the best thing for fine hair is natural sectuioning..random sizes thick add volume thin fill in gaps the strict sectionin g with backcombing was a mistake and rubber bands never ever ever should be used in dreads

change to a dread freindly wash like www.dreadlockshampoo.com or the baking soda recipe and it will dread jusr fine if u do nothing but leave em alone

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

I totally agree with SE! Do the baking soda wash and also get a dreadlock shampoo bar from www.dreadlockshampoo.com . I have short thin hair and I used the dreadlock bar once and seems to have started locking my hair a bit faster. Got a bunch of tangles going and have a few curly q's and a few zig zags starting after just one use!

Also yes, take out those rubber bans as soon as possible!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form