Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural Neglect Help

Shawn Larway
@shawn-larway
12 years ago
4 posts

I understand that the best way to grow dreads is neglect, i just don't completely understand the process yet. Could someone tell me how to start out, and cleaning etc? My hair is approximately 3 inches long, is that ok?

updated by @shawn-larway: 01/13/15 09:30:07PM
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

3"inches is a bit short to see progress for most people. But if you are planning on going neglect you can start at any time. Check out the dreaducation page (5th link at top of the page) to see about the BS/ACV (baking soda/apple cider vinegar) soaks which seem to be the most beneficial to natural dreadlings. This wash is a hands off wash, meaning no setting back progress, and you want to do this every couple of days.

Aside from that, do not comb or play with the hair. It will separate and form sections on it's own. When the hair starts to get kind of knotty you can grab the sections and pull them apart so that they don't dread together.

And that's it!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea 3 inches u can start at however it most likely wont begin to dread till 6 inches ub=nless its very tangle prone

if u stop combing hair tangles if tangles are left in more pile up and they tighten

as long as u seperar=te them into individual dreads they wil form nice dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Shawn Larway
@shawn-larway
12 years ago
4 posts
Ya im probably going to have to wait, I don't even know how to tangle my hair, do I just not wash it for a couple of days? Or just be careful and not touch it?
Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

You have to wash it. Only clean hair dreads. Wash it as often as you usually would. :)

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

hair naturally tangles. just keep it clean & don't brush it.

Shawn Larway said:

Ya im probably going to have to wait, I don't even know how to tangle my hair, do I just not wash it for a couple of days? Or just be careful and not touch it?
Shawn Larway
@shawn-larway
12 years ago
4 posts
But I can't use normal shampoo can I?
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

valerie covered this. read the dreaducation up top. it talks about the methods,maintenance(separating is all you need) & washing. use bs/acv, dr. bonners (not for hard water tho) or http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/

Shawn Larway said:

But I can't use normal shampoo can I?
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Baking soda and apple cider vinegar (BS/ACV) is a "no touch" application. You pour your BS over your head and let it sit for a bit then rinse well. Follow this by the ACV in the same manner.

If you go for a dreadlock shampoo or Dr. Bronners then you would apply it to the scalp, massage it through the scalp with your fingertips, then rinse thoroughly. When you do this, the soapy runoff will handle the cleansing of the hair itself.

You should wash about 2-3 times/wk as needed and try to let it air dry. You can shake the excess water off in the shower.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form