Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

what are your dreads like?

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Hey guys and gals!I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I know that new dreads are constantly popping up, and some dreads get eaten by other dreads, so the amount of dreads you have can change. Just for fun, I was curious how many dreads you all have? And are they all the same size, or are they of varying sizes? Are yours smooth and straight, or bumpy and loopy? Mine are super loopy right now, and they are all different sizes. I actually noticed that the ones on the left side of my head are overall skinnier than the ones on the right side of my head! Lol I'm sure only I would even notice though, as it's not very obvious. Anywho, tell me a little about YOUR dreads!:)
updated by @cristin-nessen: 02/14/15 08:20:46AM
Shade Of Ashes
@shade-of-ashes
12 years ago
78 posts

Holy cannoli, well... I have 62 dreads total, plus bangs, I made the number 62 on purpose because 6+2=8, and my birthday is on the eighth, plus 8 is infinity when it's on it's side, which to me speaks of God's love for man, infinite and patient. They are all roughly the same size except for about 10 fatter ones and 10 skinnier ones to provide some visual interest (that sounds like I planned it when really I just had some lucky accidents when sectioning, serendipity I suppose) most of them are pretty together but a lot of the smaller ones have loops (I HATE loops, they're so the bane of my existence right now). I'm very much a symmetry person, it drives me nuts when things aren't balanced, so my dreads are trying to teach me how to let go a little and just take it easy. I have Asperger's (high functioning autism), a touch of ADD/OCD, so I find that leaving them alone with little maintenance is a lot easier said than done, I have the desire to make them behave but I understand that they are going to do what God/Nature intended for them to do no matter how much I intervene, so it's a good lesson for me. I'm trying to better myself by just "letting it go." I love decorating my hair so I have several beads and trinkets all adorned in and around them. Loving it!

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
I like your reason behind your amount. Very interesting. I wanted all mine the same size in the beginning, but it just so happened that they turned out different sizes, which I'm actually happier with. I have OCD too, and so the differences kinda made me feel unbalanced haha. But luckily the more different each of them gets, the happier I am and more I love it. I was like you and originally disliked loops and bumps, but the more I get, again, I love it and embrace it. This experience has definitely made me more free and confident. I've struggled on and off with random insecurity, but now it's like I'm me and I am how I am, and most importantly I'm happy. If somebody doesn't like me the way I look, then they sure don't deserve to know me :) Lol
Shade Of Ashes
@shade-of-ashes
12 years ago
78 posts

Awesome attitude to have Christin! It's just so true. Heck, I went running this morning for the first time in a long time, and even though I'm carrying some extra weight, I cared less who would see me, it felt like my dreads were my new "shield" from others, and maybe even a battery. Lol. Pardon me if I sound not sane, I've been trying to reset my sleep schedule and so I have been up for some time.

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Hahaha I completely agree with you! That's how I feel these days! Like there's a shield or something! Good way to word it! :)
Raych'll
@raychll
12 years ago
22 posts

I have 36/7 dreads. Ones in the process of combining with another so its like one up top and two at the bottom. Its cool, I dig it. Mine are all diff sizes since I did it natural, have one skinny one near the back and a short baby forming near the front of my face.. and this ridiculous unincorporated piece that likes to stick straight up! Some of the roots mix into others. They're all pretty loopy too -ok real loopy, like myself :) and the ends are still soft so they just make little curls. Love it! (well except that little piece that sticks straight up in front. thats pretty goofy)

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
They definitely have a mind of their own, don't they?! Yours sound a bit like mine. Although I put them in using backcombing method, and then unfortunately crocheted, I've since then kinda converted to natural, if that makes sense lol. No maintenance, just washing and separating. Now they're doing what they woulda done several months back if I wouldn't have interfered. Super loopy, bunch of crazy shrinkage going on. Very interesting! And my ends are looping over onto themselves, so I'm thinking some of them will naturally blunt themselves? We'll see! :)
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

last time i counted i think it was around 63. i'm on the natural/freeform road so i still have hair that hasn't knotted up. i have a few baby ones at the nape of my neck that i just discovered this morning though:) all of mine are loopy. i love the loops. to me its just a sign that they're actually dreading. i was really hoping for my hair too shrink up into little shortie dreads by this summer but i guess thats just not in the cards for me and my hair. its taken so long to knot up that it actually grew all the way to my butt before it started to shrink. now i'm kind of sporting a dread mullet of sorts because the sides shrunk above my shoulders and the back is still long. oh well. its definitely a journey:)

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
That's awesome! That's funny that that's the way yours shrunk first, like the ones on top! My underneath ones in the back shrunk first, and now it's mostly been the dreads on the left side of my head! So I've got short fatties mixed in on the left side, and the ones on the right are just kinda doing their thing, and the ones on top are taking forever to make much of any progress! So crazy how everyone's hair and journey definitely is unique!
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

yeah for some reason the hair on the top of my head knotted up first and the rest has taken its sweet time. the hair is thinner and finer in the back though so that may have something to do with it.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form