Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

something good to know about rubber bands

The-Pygmy Page
@the-pygmy-page
12 years ago
43 posts
Yes it is true rubber bands put on too tight will damage your hair with breakage .It is true your hair will not dread under a tight band. It is also true actual rubber bands will break down into a resin like stick substance all gross likeand be stuck in there . BUT there are a type of nylon bands similar to rubber bands that will not break apart and stick in your dreads. They are generally used in dog grooming. If they are put on loosely and not left in for long periods of time it would be okay for separation of baby dreads. When I say loosely I mean you should be able to move it down the dread if you want. To wear if you had to get scissors or a knife or something to cut it wouldn't be hard.They are usually clear and are like shiny plastic looking rather then dull looking like the rubber bands .have used them and when used the right way they are helpful for keeping young dreads separated especially white fine hair
updated by @the-pygmy-page: 01/13/15 09:28:50PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

OK, so if you put them in loose enough that you can move them around, why not just put beads on? Beads add character and are cool looking. Clear bands are kind of boring and if they are clear, you can forget they are there and lose them. So they may not break down like other bands, but they will get sucked into your locks if forgotten about or not kept track of.

I know that some people don't want to put beads or wraps in there hair. but I have to ask if you'd like to have a rubber band get stuck in your hair, even if it doesn't break down?

Plus the only thing you need to do to keep them separate is to separate them. No need to use anything

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

still not a good idea at all as knots will still form around them they will still be swallowed in awhile as knots form around emand u move em u undo the knots

its better to use nothing and just seperate

they wont help keep dreads seperated unless they are really close to the roots which will prevent theroots from dreading properly

and how longs not very long? 2 days?

thats aboyt how long it can take for knots to form around the bands and start to swallow them (by swallow i mean a few knots at a tuime untill they re completely engulfed in knots)

its just not smart to use any bands at all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
The-Pygmy Page
@the-pygmy-page
12 years ago
43 posts
I would only have them in a couple days .they can give more of a managed look for something ...as I mentioned the dog grooming bands are made the way they are to be able to be gotten out of tangled dog hair. Just from my experience if you are going to use bands at all those are the better ones to use .I badass forgot about one in my.last set that was in for like 6 months and it only took one little snip to get it out
The-Pygmy Page
@the-pygmy-page
12 years ago
43 posts
I like a dumbass * ...lol not badass
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

my friend chevy put a barrette (1 of those lil plastic ones) and 1 of those pony tail ties in hers

they are still in there 5 years later..permenantly embeded into the dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I think I know what nylon ones you're talking about. If I'm right, they're not very stretchy, but more slick than normal bands. I still wouldn't put them in, but I know what you're talking about. If you want your hair to look managed for an event, you should use a little aloe or some of the locking gel from dreadlockshampoo.com. No worries with either. you just put in on and wash it off when you're done the day

k money
@k-money
12 years ago
114 posts

i think she is talking about these rubber bands http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Magic-Clear-Elastic-Braiding/dp/B000NJHONY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1339966683&sr=8-4&keywords=rubber+bands+for+hair

i bought these when i first started my dreads. they are not asstretchyas normal ones, or as rubbery. they feel more like plastic than rubber. they also dont pull on your hair so much, so it makes it easier to slide them around if you would want. i dont use them anymore though

The-Pygmy Page
@the-pygmy-page
12 years ago
43 posts
Yeah pretty much. Easy to get out don't really stick to hair easy to pull out I don't use them much if I do. Just a good thing to know for the people that do .a lot of people with straight. Fine hair will..
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I understand that some people put bands in when they wash for fear that their locks will come untangled, but that is silly. Locks need to come untangled to knot up. And I get that these bands may not break down like other bands do, but if you want to keep you locks separated, just pull them apart. There's never a need to put bands in, even if they are "easy" to get out.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form