Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Scalp Fungus...is this true?

Katie2
@katie2
12 years ago
40 posts

I have had dreads for almost 2 years, the last two months have been hell with itchiness and giant flakes. It becomes painful (because sometimes I can't help but scratch) and embarrassing. I read what you find below. Is this true?

"Dandruff is a common scalp condition marked by white flakes on the scalp and itching.

It appears to be caused by a yeast-like fungus called malassezia, also known as pityrosporum. Malassezia is normally found on the scalp without causing problems, however, if it grows unchecked (possibly due to hormone imbalances, stress, immune suppression, infrequent shampooing, illness, or increased oil production), there is mild inflammation that produces dead skin cells. The dead cells mix with oil and clump together, making them appear white and flaky."

Gross. Do I have a freaking fungus on my head????

I do not wash with BS/ACV. I use Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Shampoo. I have used it for 4ish years. The first year I used a lot of tea tree oil as a spray, but it was drying out my dreads, so I stopped. I use patchouli and orange blossom as a spray and shea butter to moisturize.

Thoughts?

updated by @katie2: 02/14/15 09:38:14AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

theres many causes of dandruff

and i hate to tell ya this but your human humans are covered with fungusses and microscopic organisms every inch of youer body has tiny mites and other parasytic organisms your literaly covered in billions of em

\now i would suggest you try the bakingsoda with teatree and rosemary or try the dreadlockshampoo.com aubrewy i bet leaves residies and that can addto the issues

i used to have a calp from hell it bled it came off in chunks not flajkes..chunks i started the bs/acv and it git 90% better i switched to dreadlockshampoo and now its 100% perfect not a single itch or flake

now aubrey has sls right? sls is known to contribute to scalp issues like psoriasis which can be mistaken for dandruff

theres dozens of sacalp fconditions that are often mistaken for dandruff but arent true dandruff

teatree and rosemary treat many causes if it is a fungal cause maybe neem seed oils a good thing to add to it too

just cause u got fungus on your body dont mean its anything to worry bout after all mushrooms are fungus and u eat em on pizza

its only when they cause trouble u gottaworry anjd fungal infections are alot wore then dandruff

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Katie2
@katie2
12 years ago
40 posts

What is the dreadlock shampoo you use and I will buy it.

Aubrey Organics does not use sls. That is one reason I began using it years ago. But, I do not doubt that it leaves build-up.

I will use the dreadlock shampoo you tell me. And is it okay then to put tea tree and rosemary on my scalp at times?

I love the smell of patchouli. Is it good for anything?

Thank you.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea it is ok to put teatree and rosemary tho id use 1/3 as much teatree as rosemary tho thre dreadlockshampoo has a teatee rosemaery bar that is awesome and soon will have a scalp rescue spray for severe dandruff that should be coming out in the next week or 2

www.dreadlockshampoo.com

--
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i have a dry scalp so my flakes are dry not the oily kind. the dreadlock shampoo bars help a lot. also if you can get your hands on some fresh rosemary then make a tea with it and pour it over you scalp and let it sit for a while then rinse. it helps a ton. a bs deep clean would probably help too.

Katie2
@katie2
12 years ago
40 posts

Thank you! Bought my teatree rosemary bar and just got back from buying my rosemary oil.

When I do a BS/ACV rinse, do I scrub my scalp? I'm always terrified to do the BS/ACV. Not sure why. Maybe I have done it wrong because it is associated with bad in my mind. : (

Do you use purified water when you do it? We have hard water. I wish someone could tell me like literally step by step what they do. Do I bring pitchers into the bathroom with the solutions? Is there an easy way to do it? It just seems like so much freaking work to wash with that stuff, having to measure out stuff and make sure the mixture is right and bringing jugs of water upstairs to our bathroom. Just seems like high maintenance? Am I being ridiculous???

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
Just bring one jug upstairs with the bs and acv. Make the mix in the shower. Why would you bring water from downstairs when you will already be bathing in water?Do the proper measurements once if you aren't comfortable with eyeballing right away. Then next time just try to approximate the same amounts in the bathroom. I doesn't have to be exact in the slightest. I've actually never measured my own mix. I just pour out what looks right.I have a jug that lives in my bathroom just for my bs and acv. I make the bs mix. Pour it on my head. Use the jug to rinse it out. Make the acv mix. Dump it on. Use the jug to rinse.My bs, acv, and oils just live in the shower like other people store shampoo and conditioner. Easy peasy.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

right measurements? the "measurements" are based on guessing how much i use which is never measured at all and varies everytime

heres my way

i have a pitcher in the shower and the acv

the bs i pour in enough to cover the bottom of the pitcher by about 1/8-1/4 inch i then add the opils and put the bs box outside the shower to stay dry

i wet my hair

i add the water to the pitcher 1/2 full stick mt hand in and swirl to break up clumps

fill to top with water and pour on..do not scrub at all

i wait 10 min while washiong then rinse

then add acv to the pitcher (aftyer rinsing out any bs init)

pour on and wait 3 min then rinse

super easy

--
Katie2
@katie2
12 years ago
40 posts

Sounds easy. I was just thinking that I was supposed to use water from my filter downstairs since our tap in the shower is super hard water that produces mega build-up. And our tap water is EXTREMELY chlorinated here. If you take a bath, you smell like you've been swimming in a pool. Sorry, I wasn't very clear about that : )

I'll try it.

Tied up in knots said:

Just bring one jug upstairs with the bs and acv. Make the mix in the shower. Why would you bring water from downstairs when you will already be bathing in water?

Do the proper measurements once if you aren't comfortable with eyeballing right away. Then next time just try to approximate the same amounts in the bathroom. I doesn't have to be exact in the slightest. I've actually never measured my own mix. I just pour out what looks right.

I have a jug that lives in my bathroom just for my bs and acv. I make the bs mix. Pour it on my head. Use the jug to rinse it out. Make the acv mix. Dump it on. Use the jug to rinse.

My bs, acv, and oils just live in the shower like other people store shampoo and conditioner. Easy peasy.
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
Depending on the day our water can be pretty chloriney too. Its not so awesome but I usually just use more acv on those days to counteract the dryness the chlorine can cause. And essentials oils for smelling less like I just went swimming.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form